Science: Space - the final frontier (Misc.)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Also yesterday.......

The first Arab space mission to Mars, an unmanned probe dubbed "Hope," took off from Japan, in a bid to reveal more about the atmosphere of the Red Planet. The Japanese rocket carrying the probe developed by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) lifted off from the Tanegashima Space Centre in southern Japan at 6:58 am local time on July 20. The spacecraft will spend a total of seven months on Mars.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
A world first. New footage from Mars rendered in stunning 4K resolution. We also talk about the cameras on board the Martian rovers and how we made the video. The cameras on board the rovers were the height of technology when the respective missions launched. A question often asked is: ‘Why don’t we actually have live video from Mars?’ Although the cameras are high quality, the rate at which the rovers can send data back to earth is the biggest challenge. Curiosity can only send data directly back to earth at 32 kilo-bits per second. Instead, when the rover can connect to the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, we get more favourable speeds of 2 Megabytes per second. However, this link is only available for about 8 minutes each Sol, or Martian day. As you would expect, sending HD video at these speeds would take a long long time. As nothing really moves on Mars, it makes more sense to take and send back images. Credit: NASA Music from Epidemic Sound

Reactions: dtgreg and Padreruf

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

Another mission to Mars on it's way this morning. Going to deliver another rover called "Perseverance".....

NASA launches Mars rover Perseverance to seek signs of ancient life

Perseverance and its fly-along helicopter buddy will land in February 2021.

After touching down inside the 28-mile-wide (45 kilometers) Jezero Crater in February 2021, Perseverance will do things no Mars rover has ever done — hunt for signs of life, collect samples for future return to Earth and deploy a miniature helicopter, to name a few.

"These are very, very exciting times," NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said during a news conference on Monday (July 27). Perseverance is a "very important mission for the United States of America, and, of course, a very, very important mission for the world."

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Just like old times......

I'm ancient enough to remember watching the splashdown of the Apollo 11 capsule - just over 51 years ago......

Frogmen: "Hey Neil, do you have moon germs?" Neil: "Nah, just a pair of stones."

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Speaking of space, the Save Spacecamp fundraiser has almost raised its initial goal of $1.5MM. My daughter has attended the last 3 years and was going to do the academy this year but for Covid. It's a great program - so inspirational and the kids come from all over the world to be a part of it. I live vicariously through my daughter's attendance because I never got to go back in the day.

PS> @Bazza - I'm changing this thread title to remove the "master thread for..." I generally despise master threads and mega threads :D We have enough breathing room that new threads can be created for different topics even if they are about the same general topic.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Awesome documentary on Netflix about the mission control support teams from the early space program. It was made in 2017 and somehow I just found it. Watched it yesterday and parts of it were so well done that they gave me chills.

Reactions: Go Bama

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
Awesome documentary on Netflix about the mission control support teams from the early space program. It was made in 2017 and somehow I just found it. Watched it yesterday and parts of it were so well done that they gave me chills.

I don't have Netflicks, but I did find it on Tubi. I'll save this for a night when there is no football or baseball. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: dtgreg and B1GTide

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Also yesterday.......

The first Arab space mission to Mars, an unmanned probe dubbed "Hope," took off from Japan, in a bid to reveal more about the atmosphere of the Red Planet. The Japanese rocket carrying the probe developed by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) lifted off from the Tanegashima Space Centre in southern Japan at 6:58 am local time on July 20. The spacecraft will spend a total of seven months on Mars.
I had a conversation with my now-departed father about the atmosphere on Mars. After some digging, it turns out that the atmosphere on the surface of Mars is about what it is on Earth at 100,000 feet above MSL. In other words, not a lot of air.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.