News Article: Speed Trap on Steroids in Brookside, Alabama

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
After the al.com article was printed, it has provoked outrage across the country. I’ve seen it covered on several national media sources.

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I started to make a thread on this article earlier this week. My hometown used to be known for this before the days of I22 but nowhere near to this extreme. Having riot gear and SWAT training for a town of 1,200 people? Yeah, lots of rioting going on there. Good grief. But, Im not surprised given the area. North Jefferson/South Walker counties are not places where I would expect to find a lack of corruption with regards to law enforcement given their reputation. One piece of information they left out- in order to be on ”the force” in Brookside you have to get a Trump stamp.

Last edited:

spidermayin

3rd Team
Dec 4, 2018
I didn't even realize that driving in the left lane for more than a mile and a half was against the law. A warning would suffice for that, but I guess not with this corrupt police department. I've never been in that area, but I'll note to avoid at all costs.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
So complaints for years have been made to the AG, Jefferson County Sheriff's office and county commissioner. That tells me that no one in power cares and the only reason they are "looking into it" now is because of the media attention.

It's a bunch of crap in this country how many people in power that are suppose to be working for us, the people, yet don't care at all for us. I expect nothing to come of this once the media attention dies down. A new chief will be found that will continue the same practices but more discretely, like all the other police trap towns across the state.

This is why police forces across the country need some form of defunding. I'm not talking about eliminating all funding but, there is no reason a town of this size needs that many cops, riot gear and a riot tank.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
So complaints for years have been made to the AG, Jefferson County Sheriff's office and county commissioner. That tells me that no one in power cares and the only reason they are "looking into it" now is because of the media attention.

It's a bunch of crap in this country how many people in power that are suppose to be working for us, the people, yet don't care at all for us. I expect nothing to come of this once the media attention dies down. A new chief will be found that will continue the same practices but more discretely, like all the other police trap towns across the state.

This is why police forces across the country need some form of defunding. I'm not talking about eliminating all funding but, there is no reason a town of this size needs that many cops, riot gear and a riot tank.
The media could have a little perverse fun and use this headline for the next article they publish about this corrupt little town….

Local police force defunded by popular acclaim. Speed trap shut down, details to follow:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Before this, there was Morris on US31, which expanded its city limits out to I-65. Barron, when he swung heavyweight in the legislature got so many tickets in Madison, he got a law passed that cities of under 19,000 couldn't give tickets on the interstate. Madison was just below that and pouted that they then wouldn't work wrecks on the interstate. That law stayed on the books for years, being repealed in 2019. Madison is far above that population now, anyway...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Lowell Barron had the power for many years. He and State Representative Albert Hall were both from the Gurley area. Very helpful and accessible.

Imagine being in the Brookside jail. The Chief could make your stay a living Hell!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Civil asset forfeitures, for one. Ease of corrupting Law Enforcement officers, for another.
Looks to me like the town and its officers have a nice little criminal enterprise going, complete with mob tactic intimidation and shakedowns.

I hope the DOJ comes in with civil rights charges and some of those criminals do some hard time.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The police chief was haughty in his resignation letter, and referred to his long standing history of having worked in law enforcement.
it might be a good idea to take a little time and see what crap he has pulled on other jobs, and how he was ever hired.The mayor has thrown him under the bus and said the chief misled him.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.