Sporting Event (One Bama FB, One Non) You Wish You Attended In Person

MILEHIGHTIDE

1st Team
Apr 9, 2011
Okay am I the only one who keeps thinking where are the rest of the horses? 😳🤔😂

Cheapest field box exacta, trifecta, and superfecta in the history of the triple crown. May have not paid much but seriously the kentucky derby this year had like 20 horses.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
Bama vs. Hawaii, 2006: No better place to visit for a game.

Man City vs. Aston Villa, 5/22/22: I'm sure the electricity in the air was palpable as City came back to win the game, and Premier League.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
Monte Carlo f1 gran prix on my yacht in the harbor with my beautiful wife, and I know I'm biased but she would kill it in France. Those little euro models got no chance. As far as Bama, any game we beat the barn.

Reactions: Con

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Cheapest field box exacta, trifecta, and superfecta in the history of the triple crown. May have not paid much but seriously the kentucky derby this year had like 20 horses.
The Belmont usually has the smallest field. That year it was 5. But that’s because there were two HOF/Top 25 Horses of the 20th century running. Most stayed away.

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Bama game:

1. Coach Bryant's #315
2. Alabama beats ND (Biscuit sack game)
3. '09 NC game against UT

Non:

1. Any of the Laker/Celtic game sevens from the 80's (I was a huge NBA/Lakers fan then)
2. 1986 Masters
3. Miracle on Ice - kinda wish our country could feel that way again!
For me, I hate I missed the 1985 Bama kicking AU's butt when they had bumper stickers already printed and giving out to awbarn fans leaving too early. AND the 1993 Sugar Bowl, although I was working and could not have gone in any case.

Non Bama - I go back to the Celtic series you mention above. I was a big fan of Cousy, Havlacek and Bill Russell. That was my idea of pure basketball.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yankees clinching the WS in Game 6 against Atlanta in 1996 after going down 2 games to 0. For all you Braves fans, lay off me. My dad was a Yankees fan from childhood. We're talking Mickey Mantle, Roger Maris, Whitey Ford, etc. We bonded over that moment.
As bad as this was for this Braves fan:

1) the subsequent years of the Yankee dynasty at least made it go down a little easier as time has gone by
2) we HAD just won the World Series, so this didn't keep us from capturing the moment

Bonding with other male family members over baseball is important.

My grandfather and Dad took me to my first Braves game on June 25, 1977 (Braves 9 Padres 5), and I've been a Braves fan ever since. The last thing he ever took me to was the July 12, 1985 Braves-Phillies game where Dale Murphy hit a walkoff home run (a word that didn't even exist back then) as the Braves scored 5 in the ninth, including 4 with two outs. We buried him that Christmas Eve.

When the 1991 magic season for the Braves came up, I never felt closer to my late grandfather than I did then. When the Twins beat the Braves about 90 minutes before the clock turned to my 22nd birthday, I went home with my then new bride and about an hour after the game, it was like he had been there with me and was gone again. I sobbed buckets - and not because the Braves lost, but because I felt like I'd lost the man again (and I never really did grieve when we buried him, either).

Given what history shows the Yankees of the 90s were, it at least has become more bearable that that was the transitional World Series from "would be" dynasty to "is a" dynasty.

THE ONES THAT HURT IN ORDER
1993 NLCS
1997 NLCS
1996 WS
1991 WS
1992 WS
2020 NLCS

WHO CARES?
1999 WS
1998 NLCS
2000/2002/2002/2004/2005 NLDS
2001 NLCS

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Not to be rude (I promise), but the Belmont is almost always like that.

The first Belmont I ever saw was in 1982 and had 11 horses - and was won by Conquistador Cielo, who may as well have lapped the field. The Kentucky Derby that year had 19 starting horses.

But then years later I saw when Secretariat outraced the other five horses, I was - at first - unimpressed. "Gee, the horse outran all of five other horses." What's really amazing to consider is that Secretariat ran away from that field like it was sitting still without any other horse giving chase. The story - as I've heard it - is that jockey Ron Turcotte was basically along for the ride, and the horse was just hauling it. That's when he famously looked back to see how big his lead was.

Even in 2003 when Funny Cide was trying to become the first horse since Affirmed to win the Triple Crown, there were only five other horses.

You rarely have more than 6-8 horses at the Belmont.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
1998 Daytona 500. It was the height of my NASCAR fandom and Earnhardt was my guy. It was his 20th attempt at winning the 500 and he had never won (even though he actually won 33 events there) before. He was in the middle of a 59 race drought. It was one of the most exciting things I had witnessed at that point. The way all the other teams lined up on pit road to congratulate him. I was watching live when he died on the last lap of the 500 three years later. That started the end of NASCAR for me.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
1998 Daytona 500. It was the height of my NASCAR fandom and Earnhardt was my guy. It was his 20th attempt at winning the 500 and he had never won (even though he actually won 33 events there) before. He was in the middle of a 59 race drought. It was one of the most exciting things I had witnessed at that point. The way all the other teams lined up on pit road to congratulate him. I was watching live when he died on the last lap of the 500 three years later. That started the end of NASCAR for me.
I understand the physics behind dale's death, but i've seen hundreds of nascar crashes that looked just like his or much worse, hard to believe that took his life, what are the odds?

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Even though I never liked Dale Earnhardt, oddly enough, that is also what started the end of my NASCAR fandom. Dale had a presence, that's really never been equaled. I hate it that he went out like that.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I understand the physics behind dale's death, but i've seen hundreds of nascar crashes that looked just like his or much worse, hard to believe that took his life, what are the odds?
Millions to one odds. Everything from the angle to the sudden stop to the lack of a HANS device - even the degree of angle determined because his car collided with Ken Schrader's car....I mean, you could never have pulled off a conspiracy to make that happen.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The first Bama game I attended.
Back when I was a senior in high school, Birmingham was only 117 miles away from my house...and that seemed like the game was being played out in Seattle distance-wise to me.

Social media and cell phones have REALLY shrunk the world.

Reactions: T Bone

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
To be fair uga fans are terrible every night, every day, every hour, every minute, every second. Not just that night. And believe it or not they have gotten worse.
You mean like how they have re-written reality that and now dominated the national championship game despite losing until the 4th qtr?? They are so in for a world of hurt in 2022.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I would’ve like to have been at Tua to Smith, just to feel the seismic atmospheric shift in a building that large in the span of maybe three minutes. That would’ve been epic.

Any championship game 7, NBA, MLB, even NHL. One game winner take all, pressure has been ratcheted up over six games and here it is, a chance to define their career, for better or worse.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
You mean like how they have re-written reality that and now dominated the national championship game despite losing until the 4th qtr?? They are so in for a world of hurt in 2022.
You’ve noticed that too? Tua pulled us out of the fire, I can readily admit that. Jess’ headline sums it up perfectly: Alabama reached the limit where it couldn’t lose any more people and still be a championship team. To hear them talk it was a drubbing from beginning to end.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.