Sports and political decisions (mostly on the Atlanta decision but also in general)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Look I knew there was going to be a lot of keyboard warriors after the MLB moved the All Star game from Atlanta to most likely to LA. But the same reactions of “fans” walking out on their teams on social media still persist. Saying they are lifelong fans walking away from their favorite teams because of a leftist agenda and cancel culture. We saw iafter Kap and we even saw it after Nick Saban marched with the players. But it does bring up a few questions.

1) Are these “fans” really fans

2) Is there a line between political progress and sports as an Avenue

3) Is this ruining our sports

For me. I am a lifelong Braves fan. I have endured the same hardships every real Braves fan has with being that close every year. But I am a glutton for punishment every year and look forward to watching as much of the 162 game season as possible. Hell I’ve suffered through run away games at the park since it could be the only game I attend all year. I was really looking forward to attending all star week but I see it as a necessity to have it moved because there are bigger issues that need to be addressed at the time. To me personally I am more mad at Sinclair for preventing me to watch the Braves period than missing out on the All Star game

My honest opinion on fans stopping their support.... eh I think I will go with the “well bye” meme and you are only hurting yourself.

Personally I think Trump did more to make sports a highly political issue when he revamped the kneeling issue and started blasting the NFL and NBA on a consistent basis. Also attending games just to get applause while inconveniencing many issues also fueled the fire. Otherwise most issues were very small in nature in my opinion. Yes Obama and Biden did get involved but nowhere near as aggressive and controversial IMO. Others may differ on that opinion

anyways. Interested to hear thoughts.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that people do things every day which are not in their own best interest based on emotional reactions to events happening around them. These are generally knee jerk reaction type things that are not well considered and that we come to regret at some point. But I am fine with it.

Want to burn your football tickets and post it on FB, go ahead. You don't hurt the team or program in so doing - they already have your money. Same applies to other merchandise. Burn that jersey. That will teach them.

My son sums up human behavior simply - we are all simply evolved monkeys. But we are not so evolved that we really control ourselves. When things are going well we remain calm and can learn and have a positive impact on those around us. But when things do not go well, our monkey brain takes over and bad things happen. Sure, some are able to control those baser instincts, but most don't even try.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
not quite sure that she knows what either corporate or communist means

You are also talking about a group that still thinks China is communist while they are the nation with the 2nd most billionaires. So what do you expect.

But I actually believe MTG is really this dumb and it’s not a show like it most of the time with other GOPers.

Reactions: B1GTide and 92tide

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think that people do things every day which are not in their own best interest based on emotional reactions to events happening around them. These are generally knee jerk reaction type things that are not well considered and that we come to regret at some point. But I am fine with it.

Want to burn your football tickets and post it on FB, go ahead. You don't hurt the team or program in so doing - they already have your money. Same applies to other merchandise. Burn that jersey. That will teach them.

My son sums up human behavior simply - we are all simply evolved monkeys. But we are not so evolved that we really control ourselves. When things are going well we remain calm and can learn and have a positive impact on those around us. But when things do not go well, our monkey brain takes over and bad things happen. Sure, some are able to control those baser instincts, but most don't even try.
Yeah it really never killed Nike or the NFL. It’s why I don’t get the “go woke get broke” threats. They never actually work.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah it really never killed Nike or the NFL. It’s why I don’t get the “go woke get broke” threats. They never actually work.
Each of us has a sphere of influence, some larger than others. And we can make a difference within our sphere without changing the world. So, IMO, you don't have to achieve some major victory in a larger sense to achieve victory in your personal life or within your sphere of influence.

Example - recycling plastics. It is largely a waste of time, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try. Why? Because it demonstrates to those around us that we really do care about the environment and are willing to take personal steps to try and minimize our negative footprint.

I guess my point is that what we say and do matters, even if it only matters to those around us, and even if it goes totally unnoticed.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If Nick Saban wore a MAGA hat to a game my opinion of him would plummet. But I wouldn’t stop watching Alabama football.

I had a Facebook friend post a meme saying we shouldn’t care what athletes have to say. (Guy is a big sports fan and works in the sports business). The very next day he posts Herschel Walker endorsing Trump.

I don’t know why people get so bent out of shape over athletes, musicians, movie stars, etc giving political opinions. Then they splatter their own views everywhere.

I don’t think MLB moving the ASG will change anything. The NFL yanked the Super Bowl from Phoenix because Arizona didn’t have an MLK holiday. That prompted a change there. But instituting a state holiday is much easier than getting Georgia to overturn the voting law. Atlanta doesn’t have a future Super Bowl scheduled and I suspect this wouldn’t be a good time to apply for one.

Reactions: Chukker Veteran

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I found this interesting

But, Professor Zimbalist said, Major League Baseball is taking a risk with a move that could alienate conservative fans. After the country’s top professional basketball and football leagues embraced the Black Lives Matter movement last year, they faced organized boycotts from conservatives, though the effort ultimately had little effect. And baseball’s fan base is older and whiter than basketball’s or football’s.
“There will be a backlash,” Professor Zimbalist said. “I doubt very much that progressive people who didn’t like baseball will start liking baseball, but it’s quite possible that conservative people who do like baseball will move away from it.”
Nytimes

Reactions: TexasBama

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
One thing to remember - the GOP cannot capitulate. If they do then the GOP dies in Georgia - heck, everywhere. The GOP and Republicans at large are dying out. Like church goers, every generation sees their population shrink.

With the GOP, more and more of the younger generations realize that they are selling lies for personal profit, and fewer and fewer are buying what they are selling.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
I found this interesting

But, Professor Zimbalist said, Major League Baseball is taking a risk with a move that could alienate conservative fans. After the country’s top professional basketball and football leagues embraced the Black Lives Matter movement last year, they faced organized boycotts from conservatives, though the effort ultimately had little effect. And baseball’s fan base is older and whiter than basketball’s or football’s.
“There will be a backlash,” Professor Zimbalist said. “I doubt very much that progressive people who didn’t like baseball will start liking baseball, but it’s quite possible that conservative people who do like baseball will move away from it.”
Nytimes
Don’t know about the Braves, but the majority attendees at Astros games are white people from the suburbs.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Pro sports have been pricing people out of attendance for a while now. My decision to attend events is strictly based on personal financial decisions and never about the politics.
I haven’t paid for a pro ticket in 20+ years. The only games I’ve been to were freebies.
The Astros have (or used to have) walk in tickets for about ten bucks. You could stand in the outfield or go to the restaurant in the outfield. Court side Rockets tickets are 250 a pop.

Last edited:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I see where Marco Rubio sent a letter to the MLB commissioner asking if he was going to give up his membership to Augusta National. I wonder if the commissioner knows that Augusta is in Georgia. For the powers to be in Georgia to pass a law that blacks can no longer vote is troubling.

• Haha
Reactions: day-day and B1GTide

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.