Spring Practice Thread

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
-...I believe Nick could have been a successful basketball coach if that was his desire. The things he brought up about recruiting young basketball talent, it makes me think he has a real interest in the basketball teams success and will help CNO anyway he can including recruiting. Also, that made me think that perhaps 2020-21 will do for the basketball team what 2008 did for the football team!
Saban would have been a raving success in any field requiring the combination of leadership, attention to detail, and both demanding the best his charges had to give, and recognizing what exactly that was.

If he’d gone to a military academy, he’d be a 4-star general or admiral. If he’d gone into the business world, they’d write books about him the same way they do Jack Welch, Alfred Sloan, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

The man is up there with Wooden, Bryant, Rockne, Leahy, and Rupp as a coach. And I have zero doubt he’d have been in that all-time great echelon in whatever path he had chosen.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Saban would have been a raving success in any field requiring the combination of leadership, attention to detail, and both demanding the best his charges had to give, and recognizing what exactly that was.

If he’d gone to a military academy, he’d be a 4-star general or admiral. If he’d gone into the business world, they’d write books about him the same way they do Jack Welch, Alfred Sloan, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

The man is up there with Wooden, Bryant, Rockne, Leahy, and Rupp as a coach. And I have zero doubt he’d have been in that all-time great echelon in whatever path he had chosen.
I'm not sure how great of a minister/priest he would have made...I don't see the patience required for that one. LOL!

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I'm not sure how great of a minister/priest he would have made...I don't see the patience required for that one. LOL!
Pfffffttttt... he'd have your parishioners whipped into shape in no time!!!

CNS: Padreruf, where's your shield of faith today?

Padreruf: It's right here, Coach.

CNS: Well, you better hold it up! Satan ran through us today like Holy Water through a tin horn!

Padraruf: Yes, sir!

CNS: OK. Let's get out there and feed the poor and visit the sick!

Padreruf's entire congregation: Raaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!! (everyone rushes out of the church and into the world to do God's bidding. The hungry are all fed and the sick are all visited within hours. Padreruf soon asks for a name change to Bishopruf. Everyone begins to realize that all the laws and the prophets hang on loving God and loving your neighbor. Suddenly, kindness and compassion are normal.)

Meanwhile...

NT18: Lord, please give me patience and give it to me now.

God: ...

(just a little fun, guys)

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Here is a BOL article on the QB's. Appears CNS is very pleased where BY is right now.

I found this pretty interesting as well...

Saban said. “I think Jalen has a lot of upside. Right now, we’ve got to work on his fundamentals and his technique. But he’s really got a lot of ability, and we’re going to continue to try to work with him to develop and see if he can have a role on the team. All the guys have made progress, and it’ll be interesting to see how they respond in the scrimmage, as well.”
IIRC this sounds vaguely similar to what CNS said about the other Jalen his freshman year but I could be wrong on that.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

IIRC this sounds vaguely similar to what CNS said about the other Jalen his freshman year but I could be wrong on that.
I believe he did say that and obviously Jalen had a very large role his freshman year. He won't have as near as big of a role as Jalen had IMO but we may could use him in certain packages at times.

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
The guy i'm most anxious to see is JAD, my official designation for him. Good recruit, got injured early, put him behind on the chart but now seems to be making a name for himself. Guys who have a problem but don't give up, i love em, most become good players.

Reactions: Rush

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I definitely remember the part about Hurts having a role on the team. But I don’t remember Saban saying anything about his fundamentals and technique. Being a coach’s son, I think Hurts was farther along in those aspects than most true freshmen.

What I read from Saban’s comments on Milroe is that he’s talented, but raw.

Whether that rawness can be polished enough in a spring and fall camp, we’ll have to see.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I definitely remember the part about Hurts having a role on the team. But I don’t remember Saban saying anything about his fundamentals and technique. Being a coach’s son, I think Hurts was farther along in those aspects than most true freshmen.

What I read from Saban’s comments on Milroe is that he’s talented, but raw.

Whether that rawness can be polished enough in a spring and fall camp, we’ll have to see.
I got the same impression

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Quick needs to add weight from what I have heard. He could wind up a blocking TE in my opinion.
If one of the many quality O line guys has the athleticism ( I`d be surprised if there`s not at least one ), that would be another good way to get on the field and fill a situational need. Kendall Randolph blazed that particular trail most recently. There may have been someone before him, too.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
sounds like Kool Aid will be a contributor this year if he keeps progressing.

—- Too bad Camar Wheaton with his speed wasn’t on campus this spring, he may have had a chance to do some slot work with Nick’s desire for more speed !

- I believe Nick could have been a successful basketball coach if that was his desire. The things he brought up about recruiting young basketball talent, it makes me think he has a real interest in the basketball teams success and will help CNO anyway he can including recruiting. Also, that made me think that perhaps 2020-21 will do for the basketball team what 2008 did for the football team!
Nick Saban would succeed at the Math Club, Cheer coach, even teaching old people chess at a retirement home. He has the drive to know his field, the desire to instruct and grow his methods, and the will to push and demand his people reach their potential. That translates to any coaching field.

Reactions: gtowntide

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
If one of the many quality O line guys has the athleticism ( I`d be surprised if there`s not at least one ), that would be another good way to get on the field and fill a situational need. Kendall Randolph blazed that particular trail most recently. There may have been someone before him, too.
The o-line I was thinking about was Brandon Green. I don’t remember how much tight end he played but he had a pretty good play against LSU.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Jalen Hurts might have been a coaches' son, but his QB fundamentals were not very good at all IMO. He was a "one read and then run" QB and it took 3 years at Alabama to correct it.

I don't know how this relates to the new Jalen, but it would be hard to imagine him being rawer in QB fundamentals than the older Jalen.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Some of y'all may remember the story better, but I sometimes wonder if Blake Barnet's parents would have stayed of his career if he could have ended up being a decent QB. He was a former 5 star and had all the makings of being a college star.

I remember the opening game against UCS in 2016 and Barnet getting the start. After he struggled, Jalen came in and played well enough to earn the starting spot for the rest of the season.

We'll never know, but IIRC Barnet's parents were pushing for him to get more playing time and I wonder if part of the problem was CNS was not going to bow to that and he played Jalen despite him not being as ready as he needed to be. Jalen probably had better "team" skills than BB, but it was debatable about his QB skills.

I've had the opinion that Jalen's development was stunted because he played so early before learning better fundamentals. But I also wonder if Barnet's parents would have just stayed out of it if he would have developed into a solid QB for us.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.