Spring Practice Thread

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
From the pix, some. I don't think he'll ever be thick. The genes just aren't there, any more than with Devonta...
I think that`s correct. I predict that when Bryce trots out to start his last game for us we`ll still be saying, " Gee, he sure looks a bit on the slight side."

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I really think the only two coaches that really could compete with Saban since 2014 consistently are Gus and Hugh. I know many would say Dabo, but I really think without Deshaun Watson and a quarterback that hadn’t really developed into a good passer on our end Dabo would be 1-3 vs Saban. In all 4 of Hugh’s games vs Saban they have been physical slugfests with 3 being 4 quarter battles.

Every JHS game vs Gus has been close contests for much of the game. He was 3-1 in those games. The games in Tuscaloosa were a different matter with the exception of 2014. But it was enough that every Alabama fan was worried about playing Auburn in even years.

But Hugh and Gus really were just really selling out against Alabama and were getting beat by teams they had no business losing to elsewhere on the schedule. I guess Les miles from 2007-2015 was the only consistent threat to Saban after Saban broke Urban.

I think Sumlin is more in line with Orgeron in that he had the right team at the right point of time but otherwise the win vs Saban will be just a game that will be less and less of a selling point as the losses vs him start to pile up.

But the truth of the matter is that Alabama is so far ahead of everyone that you wouldn’t be drunk on the Red juice to say “ we probably win 12 games in the regular season the next 4 years”. A lot has been made about Georgia and aTm competing and closing the gap between them and us but the truth is that they are about as far behind us as the Russians were behind the European powers in WWI. We had knowledgeable posters and writers thinking the Georgia defense was good enough to beat us. Well they have had 3 tries and a roster full of nfl talent and they still haven’t beaten us. Unless you have a dynamic offense and a risk it all coach then you don’t stand a chance despite what your defense has.
I may not have been clear about Sumlin....I think he got stupid lucky in one game. That game had several spectacular plays by Manziel, all of which were really more backyard ball....almost literally throwing blind and having prayers answered.

So it wasn’t anything Sumlin was really responsible for. Yet he parlayed that into a huge raise, a nice buyout, and another job (despite being fired at aTm), only to wash out there in short order.

Literally, he has one notable win in over 150 games as a HC, and made generational money off of it.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Question is...
Does Bryce weigh enough to withstand the rigors of SEC Football?
Time will tell.
If someone rolls up on a QBs legs, it's pretty much gonna be next man up.
I don't think weight will help much at QB when they are injured.
I do think our QBs ought to carry some weight to maybe not have as severe an injury.

Now lets talk about Speed. When forced out of a pocket... I want to see our QB be mobile, and maybe avoid injury.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Question is...
Does Bryce weigh enough to withstand the rigors of SEC Football?
Time will tell.
If someone rolls up on a QBs legs, it's pretty much gonna be next man up.
I don't think weight will help much at QB when they are injured.
I do think our QBs ought to carry some weight to maybe not have as severe an injury.

Now lets talk about Speed. When forced out of a pocket... I want to see our QB be mobile, and maybe avoid injury.
As Earle mentioned, it probably is more about his genetic makeup kinda like the Slim Reaper.

I know they play different positions, but the key for a player built like that is to avoid crushing hits.

My impression of BY is he's quicker than a hiccup so he'll have to use that to his advantage.

I think we ought to just forget about his size/build and just glory in the fact that, apparently, he's becoming the kind of QB that matches his 5 star potential.

DogPatch

Suspended
Dec 4, 2018
Tuscaloosa
I may not have been clear about Sumlin....I think he got stupid lucky in one game. That game had several spectacular plays by Manziel, all of which were really more backyard ball....almost literally throwing blind and having prayers answered.

So it wasn’t anything Sumlin was really responsible for. Yet he parlayed that into a huge raise, a nice buyout, and another job (despite being fired at aTm), only to wash out there in short order.

Literally, he has one notable win in over 150 games as a HC, and made generational money off of it.
Don't underestimate the power of those other 94 wins. Means a lot to some folks.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Is it any wonder why every single coach we play against circles the date they play us? They know if they can beat Alabama that they will get a raise and an extension and make generational money. We are the gold standard. As in, if you beat us, you get the gold. Roll Tide!

Reactions: Ole Man Dan

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Saban talks freshmen progress, role of new coach, WRs
Asked about safety Jordan Battle, Saban spoke a lot about personal responsibility. “People have to earn the right to be leaders,” Saban said. “They have to do things right themselves. They can’t be late for meetings and not do things exactly right. They have to set a good example for others … That’s his choice. That’s a lot of people’s choice on the team.”
Sounds like we may still be looking for leaders on this team. Not surprising considering the guys we are losing to the draft

Reactions: Con

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Does this mean that he is NOT doing things RIGHT, but needs to? Is he late for meetings? Is he not doing other things right? Here's hoping he does everything RIGHT.
Yea, that's how I read it. There is a longer quote out there but I read it on a paid site so didn't want to post that link. Idk if you can assume anything too specific but it at least seems Battle hasn't been a leader in the way Saban likes.

But it essentially sounds like Saban isn't satisfied with the leadership on this team right now. Which makes a ton of sense since we lost Najee, Smitty, Dickerson, Mac and Moses. That's a lot of leadership to replace.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yea, that's how I read it. There is a longer quote out there but I read it on a paid site so didn't want to post that link. Idk if you can assume anything too specific but it at least seems Battle hasn't been a leader in the way Saban likes.

But it essentially sounds like Saban isn't satisfied with the leadership on this team right now. Which makes a ton of sense since we lost Najee, Smitty, Dickerson, Mac and Moses. That's a lot of leadership to replace.
I wouldn't necessarily go that far. He has said a few things previously that make me believe that he is pretty happy with the team leadership. But he may not be happy with Battle specifically.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily go that far. He has said a few things previously that make me believe that he is pretty happy with the team leadership. But he may not be happy with Battle specifically.
Could be true but there is another article from The Athletic that has this quote and says it was the 2nd sentence in his opening remarks.

“One of the things that we want to see is individual players improve, improve their ability to play winning football fundamentals, but I also think we’re trying to develop some team dynamics, some team chemistry, looking for people who put the team first,” Saban said.
That doesn't mean we don't have some guys who fit that roll or maybe someone grows into that but it does seem like he's saying the team isn't there yet. I didn't watch this press conference or anything though so all I have to go on is quotes from articles

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Could be true but there is another article from The Athletic that has this quote and says it was the 2nd sentence in his opening remarks.

That doesn't mean we don't have some guys who fit that roll or maybe someone grows into that but it does seem like he's saying the team isn't there yet. I didn't watch this press conference or anything though so I'll I have to go on is quotes from articles
I do think we are looking for more leadership but it seems this message to the team IMO started with Battle, who is expected to be one of our primary leaders on defense, being late to a meeting. It does not help Battle's cause when CNS works with him every day in practice and it could have been a meeting CNS was conducting for the secondary.

Reactions: B1GTide

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I do think we are looking for more leadership but it seems this message to the team IMO started with Battle, who is expected to be one of our primary leaders on defense, being late to a meeting. It does not help Battle's cause when CNS works with him every day in practice and it could have been a meeting CNS was conducting for the secondary.
Man, I can`t imagine anything that would be even remotely within my control that would be the cause for me being late to a meeting being conducted by CNS..........and I`m 73 years old and not on his staff or one of his players!!

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Regarding team chemistry -- I think it's still building.

Definitely not where it was 6 months ago, but then we no longer have a bunch of guys who were both in the program for several years and performed at an elite level -- Mac, Najee, Devonta, Waddle, Dickerson / Leatherwood / Brown on the OL, Moses and Surtain on D. You simply can't lose that many top performers who are also your best leaders, and not miss both their on-field and off-field contributions.

But then, no realistic person would expect that level of leadership to carry over seamlessly when you have so much turnover. That doesn't mean we won't have good leadership by September. It's just not where it needs to be today. Closing that gap over the next 6 months is what The Process is for.

Regarding Jordan Battle -- that was a shot across his bow. I took it, not that Battle had never shown leadership, but rather that he was less consistent with it than (1) Saban would like, and (2) the team needs. And I have zero doubt that Battle was either late to, or totally absent from, a recent DB meeting.

The bad news for Battle is that the time for dilly-dallying, inconsistency, and getting by on talent is over. He needs to step up his attention to detail both on and off the field. If he doesn't, well, there are other options.

The good news for Battle is that it's clear Saban 100% believes he can fill the role the team needs him to fill. Actually, I think that's why Saban was irritated....he knows that Battle can be everything the team needs him to be, and for whatever reason hasn't yet executed to the level of his ability. If Saban felt that Battle was incapable of a leadership role, he wouldn't have come out nearly as clearly as he did.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Regarding team chemistry -- I think it's still building.

Definitely not where it was 6 months ago, but then we no longer have a bunch of guys who were both in the program for several years and performed at an elite level -- Mac, Najee, Devonta, Waddle, Dickerson / Leatherwood / Brown on the OL, Moses and Surtain on D. You simply can't lose that many top performers who are also your best leaders, and not miss both their on-field and off-field contributions.

But then, no realistic person would expect that level of leadership to carry over seamlessly when you have so much turnover. That doesn't mean we won't have good leadership by September. It's just not where it needs to be today. Closing that gap over the next 6 months is what The Process is for.

Regarding Jordan Battle -- that was a shot across his bow. I took it, not that Battle had never shown leadership, but rather that he was less consistent with it than (1) Saban would like, and (2) the team needs. And I have zero doubt that Battle was either late to, or totally absent from, a recent DB meeting.

The bad news for Battle is that the time for dilly-dallying, inconsistency, and getting by on talent is over. He needs to step up his attention to detail both on and off the field. If he doesn't, well, there are other options.

The good news for Battle is that it's clear Saban 100% believes he can fill the role the team needs him to fill. Actually, I think that's why Saban was irritated....he knows that Battle can be everything the team needs him to be, and for whatever reason hasn't yet executed to the level of his ability. If Saban felt that Battle was incapable of a leadership role, he wouldn't have come out nearly as clearly as he did.
[/QUOT

I agree. I also think that at this level, with the kind and level of talent competing for playing time, what goes on between the ears is absolutely crucial and a difference maker.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.