Spurrier’s Jab at Texas

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The 'Ole Ball Coach' can't stop himself.
He always gloried in being the one to throw a brick in the septic tank.
Since Spurrier retired Lane Kiffin has been throwing a few bricks...

Reactions: Padreruf

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let's consider reality.

When OU was in the Big 8, they won 34 conference titles in a 68-year span. (This may shock some folks, but Nebraska actually won the conference seven times more than OU did). Missouri was a power from 1924-45 and at that time there are news stories calling the Big Six the "Big 3." Missouri faded after WWII, and Oklahoma reeled off 16 titles in 17 years. As a reminder, the Big Six grew out of the Missouri Valley IAA, so those titles from 1907-1927 are from that "conference."

In 1996, OU joined the Big 12 and after a rough start thanks to probation and John Blake, the Sooners began winning again in 1999.

BUT - they weren't near as dominant as folks like to remember, either. Okay, they won 7 titles in 11 years, which is great, but note their winning still went down with more competition.

Then Nebraska and Colorado and A/M and Mizzou all left the conference, WVA and TCU cam in...and OU began winning the Big 12 every year. They've won 7 of 9 since the contraction.

Now they'll be in a 16-team conference with more powers top to bottom.

Oklahoma is a legit blue blood, they're going to be competitive and exciting. But they're not going to win the SEC near so often. Look at Alabama - for all the national titles, the conference title has eluded the Tide several times even under Saban's best teams.

This pushes us back to the national title being the be-all end-all, just the way us Alabama fans like it.

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
Spurrier … I know the name sounds familiar but dang I can’t think of why… oh yes didnt he used to coach the Redskins didn’t win there so he went to USC ( not that one the one in Columbia) and after promising SEC titles and not delivering walk off in mid season leaving someone else to pick up the pieces … that Steve Spurrier the old ball whatever … he is talking trash about not winning the SEC … oh ok (yes before you ask I know all about his good ole days at UF but my last memory was his loser face after Nebraska steam rolled him can someone say flash in the pan)

Reactions: gman4tide

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Spurrier … I know the name sounds familiar but dang I can’t think of why… oh yes didnt he used to coach the Redskins didn’t win there so he went to USC ( not that one the one in Columbia) and after promising SEC titles and not delivering walk off in mid season leaving someone else to pick up the pieces … that Steve Spurrier the old ball whatever … he is talking trash about not winning the SEC … oh ok (yes before you ask I know all about his good ole days at UF but my last memory was his loser face after Nebraska steam rolled him can someone say flash in the pan)
Flash in the pan? The man is one of the fathers of this godforsaken shotgun only offense we’ve seen take over football in general. People thought he was crazy when he started, but he beat Alabama in the SEC championship game running almost exclusively shotgun years before anyone did.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Flash in the pan? The man is one of the fathers of this godforsaken shotgun only offense we’ve seen take over football in general. People thought he was crazy when he started, but he beat Alabama in the SEC championship game running almost exclusively shotgun years before anyone did.
The ironic thing about the fun and gun offense, is that it started as exclusively under center, and with a lot of running mixed in. SOS just threw downfield more than most, and had more 3 and 4 WR sets than most. But it was not the run and shoot, nor what we see today with the RPO.

He did go more towards shotgun stuff as teams began to get to his QB more often. FSU forced his hand on this more than anyone with those extremely good defenses they always had. Gene Stallings/Bill Oliver never could really figure it out or stop it though. Even the 1992 defense, as all-time amazing as it was, struggled with that offense and that was one of Spurrier's more average Florida teams.

OUGuy1999

Jul 23, 2021
BUT - they weren't near as dominant as folks like to remember, either. Okay, they won 7 titles in 11 years, which is great, but note their winning still went down with more competition.

Then Nebraska and Colorado and A/M and Mizzou all left the conference, WVA and TCU cam in...and OU began winning the Big 12 every year. They've won 7 of 9 since the contraction.
Show me again where AtM, Mizzou, Colorado, and Neb effected OU's ability to win the conference before they left in 2012?
OUB12.png

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Show me again where AtM, Mizzou, Colorado, and Neb effected OU's ability to win the conference before they left in 2012?
View attachment 17660
1) It's "affected," not "effected"

2) I never said those four teams kept you from winning, did I? What I said was pretty clear.

3) If you actually think any of those four programs are comparable to Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, and even occasionally Auburn, it's going to be more interesting than I thought.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Spurrier … I know the name sounds familiar but dang I can’t think of why… oh yes didnt he used to coach the Redskins didn’t win there
Lou Holtz didn't win in the NFL.
Neither did Nick Saban, although he wasn't as bad as remembered.
And Pete Carroll, well, it takes high football intelligence to do what he did at the one-yard line.

so he went to USC ( not that one the one in Columbia) and after promising SEC titles and not delivering walk off in mid season leaving someone else to pick up the pieces … that Steve Spurrier the old ball whatever … he is talking trash about not winning the SEC
Well, Spurrier won the SEC five times in six years so there's that.

… oh ok (yes before you ask I know all about his good ole days at UF but my last memory was his loser face after Nebraska steam rolled him can someone say flash in the pan)
Well, if your last memory was his loser face in January 1996, how did you remember he went to the NFL and left South Carolina?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Lou Holtz didn't win in the NFL.
Neither did Nick Saban, although he wasn't as bad as remembered.
And Pete Carroll, well, it takes high football intelligence to do what he did at the one-yard line.

Well, Spurrier won the SEC five times in six years so there's that.

Well, if your last memory was his loser face in January 1996, how did you remember he went to the NFL and left South Carolina?
I wouldn't listen to anyone that names himself after a prima donna that will never be as good as Jordan.

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
Selma tried to respond to the multi quote and couldn’t get it. So please forgive me leaving it out. The facts you presented are against me in this one but obviously my feelings for the “man” are seriously jaded. I am old school when it comes to being loud mouth and brash. I dislike people in sports that mouth off. I hated worse when they back it up…

during that period of the 1990’s when Spurrier was most successful he was very hard to take. Yes he might not have invented the shotgun but he certainly utilized it with great success at UF. However his success didn’t work for him beyond that. SC was never a threat even though they had good seasons for them. No SEC titles etc. The way he left the sport was like a spoiled child which truthfully he was and still is in my eyes.
But hey that is my opinion everyone certainly is welcome to theirs.

just glad he didn’t wind up at Alabama or I would have had to force myself to like him. LOL

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Selma tried to respond to the multi quote and couldn’t get it. So please forgive me leaving it out. The facts you presented are against me in this one but obviously my feelings for the “man” are seriously jaded. I am old school when it comes to being loud mouth and brash. I dislike people in sports that mouth off. I hated worse when they back it up…

during that period of the 1990’s when Spurrier was most successful he was very hard to take. Yes he might not have invented the shotgun but he certainly utilized it with great success at UF. However his success didn’t work for him beyond that. SC was never a threat even though they had good seasons for them. No SEC titles etc. The way he left the sport was like a spoiled child which truthfully he was and still is in my eyes.

just glad he didn’t wind up at Alabama or I would have had to force myself to like him. LOL
I now call SS "the Quitter." It's easy to coach when you are winning....never really liked him and like him even less now. How he got USC to pay him 4 million is beyond me...must have known some stuff!!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
This is eminently reasonable.

during that period of the 1990’s when Spurrier was most successful he was very hard to take. Yes he might not have invented the shotgun but he certainly utilized it with great success at UF.
I'll agree he was one of those people - Barry Bonds is another one - who just for whatever reason it's like, "I have a choice to be a pompous jerk or a nice person, and I choose every time to be the jerk."

Steve Spurrier's weakness as coach is the same weakness that Bob Stoops has that Lincoln Riley has so far that Tom Osborne had and that most coaches who make their living blowing teams off the field with overwhelming force have - he never knew what Plan B was gonna be when Plan A didn't work.

What separates the coaches I named from the Sabans, Bryants, Urban Meyers, and as much as I hate to even say it Dabo Swinney is that they can adjust the game plan on the fly if needed. I hesitate on Swinney largely because I think he's been fortunate to have QUARTERBACKS (Watson and Lawrence) that can adjust to the defense on the field, so I may be in error including him here at this point. A dummy like Bill Curry can go 10-2 at Alabama without much problem. The difference in the elite coaches is that ability to do it those 2-3 extra times that overwhelming force doesn't work.

Spurrier never had this, and he never developed it, either.

However his success didn’t work for him beyond that. SC was never a threat even though they had good seasons for them. No SEC titles etc. The way he left the sport was like a spoiled child which truthfully he was and still is in my eyes.

I would say Spurrier's problem was the evolution of the game surpassed his ability to adjust to it. What's bizarre is the same thing happened to Pat Dye at Auburn. You reach a point where the very weapons you've polished to win games - defense for Dye, high-powered offense for Spurrier - are taken by creative minds younger than you and rammed back down your throat in ways that you can even see the looks of surprise on the sideline that what used to work doesn't.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I would say in addition to this that the key game - or perhaps key postgame - where Saban separated himself from going over the hill early was the 2015 Ole Miss game where everything that could possibly go wrong for Alabama did. That's the night - and I was among the folks thinking it to myself, although I never said it on board - that I honestly thought Saban had found something with which he couldn't deal. But I also think coming out of that game IN REALITY was the fact that as bad as it got, the reality is that Alabama got the ball back TWICE in the final three minutes and a touchdown would have won the game. In other words, he did what coaches are not able to do, he CONTINUED HIS PROCESS and sequence and the basics that made him great already. The key thing in the game is that he didn't panic.

When you're down by 17, close it to six and in less than 3 minutes you're back to NINETEEN down, it takes everything a person has to not resign themselves to inevitable "this is not our night" defeat.

But it's what he has done in response that is the most Bryant-like thing about him. I'll grant it's true that our failure to integrate earlier was part of our problem in the late 60s. But it's not like we were playing a lot of OTHER teams that were integrated fully, either. But we had two six-win seasons. Bryant sees the wishbone and apparently imagined that he could run that basic college offense better than anyone, and he did.

The game is changing faster across Saban's career than it did across Bryant's as far as OFFENSE on the field.

"Urban Meyer runs the spread? Let's start an SEC title game running his own offense and see what he does."

"Auburn wants to play backyard hurry up? Fine. We'll take what they're doing but we'll wait until we're to the line and then adjust everything. We'll take what they're doing and ram it right back at them."

"We need a gunslinger for high-scoring games? Let's get a gunslinger but let's get the best one out there."

"RPO, huh? Who's the best RPO out there?"

Dye held to the concept that football was all defense with an occasional superstar and a serviceable quarterback - and it was even past his time as coach. Problem was when Spurrier came along in his mid-40s and decided to run his version of sandlot ball, Dye kept slow defensive players designed to stop the run because precision passing game wasn't something he'd ever seen to that level.

Spurrier, though, never understood that defense is still more than half of the game. His whole concept was the Barry Switzer "we'll go pump 50 points on them and get a few stops and win." He thought that going to the NFL and hiring Marvin Lewis from the Ravens would be enough. It wasn't even close.

Plus - a lot of these pro coaches are a little too in love with the guys they coached in college but that's another story.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.