Srebrenica Massacre: Dutch 10% responsible.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Srebrenica massacre: Dutch state '10% liable' for 350 deaths

Background: In 1995, there was a muslim-majority enclave in eastern Bosnia called Srebrenica, completely surrounded by Bosnian Serbs. The Serbians attacked and conquered the enclave, despite the presence of Dutch peacekeepers. The Serbs then shot all the muslim men, again, despite the presence of Dutch UN peacekeepers.
The relatives of the massacred sued the Dutch government and a court says the Dutch government was 10% liable. The Bosnian women suing were not happy.

Personally, I think the Bosnian Serbs pulling the triggers were responsible for the deaths of those men although, good luck getting the Republika Srpska to pay up.

Second, the UN had a peacekeeping force without a peace enforcement mandate and no real peace to keep. The combatants were not ready to stop fighting until August 1995. Until then, the UNPROFOR forces were just hanging out watching the fighting happen. It was not a question of the capabilities of the forces, it was their mandate.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There is so much background involved in the conflict. As short as possible, to the Serbs, Kosovo is hallowed ground, harking back to the battle of the last part of the 14th century, when they lost to the Osman Turks. It's literally the birthplace of Serbian identity. During the long occupation, the people who had the most to lose, property-wise, were more likely to convert to Islam, because of the preferences. To Serbs, the Muslims are the traitors. They hate them far worse than they do even the Croats. If anything, the Serbs can hold grudges for even longer than the Irish. The Balkans are a bloody place...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
never heard of Srebrenica until I got my daily email from Quora.com. Give Quora a shot if you love tanks and aircraft.

https://www.quora.com/topic/Srebrenica-Massacre-1
Three muslim-majority enclaves in eastern Bosnia-Hercegovina: Gorazde, Zepa and Srebrenica. Gorazde was the largest, and Srebrenica was the largest one overrun by Serbs. A lot of the POWs were executed after capture.
Zepa was also overrun, but the Dayton Accords connected Gorazde to the main muslim area by a land bridge.
The weird thing is that muslims who used to live in Srebrenica get to vote in Srebrenica local elections (because the international community does not want to reward genocide), so the local government is muslim majority, but none of the officeholders or their voters live in Srebrenica. I would be like asking a Jew to live in Auschwitz.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Three muslim-majority enclaves in eastern Bosnia-Hercegovina: Gorazde, Zepa and Srebrenica. Gorazde was the largest, and Srebrenica was the largest one overrun by Serbs. A lot of the POWs were executed after capture.
Zepa was also overrun, but Gorazde was connected to the main muslim area by a land bridge.
The weird thing is that muslims who used to live in Srebrenica get to vote in Srebrenica local elections (because the international community does not want to reward genocide), so the local government is muslim majority, but none of the officeholders or their voters live in Srebrenica. I would be like asking a Jew to live in Auschwitz.
As I said, a lot of old, old grudges in that part of the world...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.