Stadium Lights are LIT

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I have been there for both games. Really cool. Especially, when they turn them all red and have everyone pull out the flashlights on their cellphones and do the wave around the stadium. My granddaughter insisted on going to the game with me this week just to see them (after her dad talked about them last week) and she loved it.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The only thing I don't like about them is when they go to the sequence in which they have the rotating white light that circles the crowd.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Are they going to be lit in the 2nd half of the LSU game? Sunset will be earlier due to daylight savings time. It would be neat to see in person. My son likes seeing it on tv, I can’t imagine seeing it live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Call me an old curmudgeon... I’m not a fan. Gives me a headache watching on TV :D. Progress... ? I guess?
I don't like them either. I felt like I was going to have a seizure when they flickered.

If I were a player I would be even more annoyed. I'm kind of shocked CNS is fine them being used while players are on the field waiting for the refs to whistle play.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They're less of a problem in the stadium than on TV in my opinion after experiencing it both ways over the last two weeks.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
They're less of a problem in the stadium than on TV in my opinion after experiencing it both ways over the last two weeks.
Interesting observation. On my TV I found it to be irritating after awhile. Like watching OU and having to listen Boomer Sooner all the time, I thought it was over used.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think the contrast between the light and dark is more stark on television too. Plus, it seemed like the stadium lighting crew took some of the criticism and toned it down a bit compared to UT game.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I'm older and for the most part I'm a traditionalist but I liked the lights.
I can see where some people may not like them.
The biggest improvement to me is the brighter, "whiter" light enabled me to see the field better.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Don’t know what to make of this, but I heard on an interview with Arkansas’ Rakeem Boyd- Great environment, I’ve never been down here in Tuscaloosa but the environment was amazing!
Maybe he was referring to the light show? The crowd? , the nightlife? All the above? Probably the lights and crowd.
Posted this in the post game thread. Seems as if the lights had an affect on opposing players. Judging by Rakeem Boyd’s Comments, I will say it will be a positive for recruiting , maybe a distraction for opposing teams!

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Count me among the "I like the lights" crowd. The field is better lit, the lighting is much better on the eyes for fans in the stands - except maybe the North/South upper decks, the "flickering" usually only occurs during the last 10 seconds of the countdown clock during timeouts so as not to distract either team while discussing strategy, the longest run is for the "flashlight" wave at or near the end of the 3rd quarter. My experiences have been at the stadium so I can't speak about how it looks on tv but the wife says she can hardly tell it's happening when she's watching (she missed going to the last two games for various reasons - elderly parents). No one sitting around us at the stadium has complained, and believe me, we've got some who do little else -Ha!

MisterBean

Oct 20, 2018
I was at the game yesterday and have to say they are much better in person than on TV. I liked them for the most part. They just have to be careful not to over do it. I wondered why they waited until the last few seconds of the TV timeout to use them, I hadn't thought about the coaches needing light to go over plays, etc.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
At some point a visiting team will start having official requests to not do the flickering lights because a player has a medical condition (real or fake) that this could cause an issue for.
Just wait...it’s coming.
Stadium will probably start having a warning on the ticket stub if they don’t already regarding the dimly lit stadium and flickering lights.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
For me, the jury is still out, but I am not thrilled thus far. The contrast of switching from white to red is a little tough on the eyes. I do believe there will be complaints from opposing teams at some point. But, who knows, cow bells are a form of artificial noise and somehow, they are allowed. Like everything else, change happens and this will probably win out if used with some careful restraint.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Call me an old curmudgeon... I’m not a fan. Gives me a headache watching on TV :D. Progress... ? I guess?
Glad I'm not the only one.
I think the lights are fine at half time, but during time outs and commercial breaks, Too Much.
The strobe effect gets old fast with me.
Shows I'm an Old Fogie.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
At some point a visiting team will start having official requests to not do the flickering lights because a player has a medical condition (real or fake) that this could cause an issue for.
Just wait...it’s coming.
Stadium will probably start having a warning on the ticket stub if they don’t already regarding the dimly lit stadium and flickering lights.
The same logic can easily be applied to the flashing LED/LCD advertising strips running across bottom of upper decks that just about every team already has and uses even more often than Bama is using their LEDs. How many photo-sensitive epileptic players are there (can't imagine there are many)? Just don't see this being an issue, especially as more and more teams add this.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.