Stage is being set for playoff expansion

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Sounds like more will be shared in the coming weeks after the official committee meetings in Chicago next week. Lot of places are reporting though 12 teams is the leading concept should expansion happen.

I think I’m one of the few people here actively in favor of expansion. But I figured 6-8 teams would be the stepping stone. Moving straight to 12 teams seems pretty aggressive.

Be interesting to follow this as it develops.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Sounds like more will be shared in the coming weeks after the official committee meetings in Chicago next week. Lot of places are reporting though 12 teams is the leading concept should expansion happen.

I think I’m one of the few people here actively in favor of expansion. But I figured 6-8 teams would be the stepping stone. Moving straight to 12 teams seems pretty aggressive.

Be interesting to follow this as it develops.

So Bama will be in the playoffs in perpetuity? :)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I can not begin to explain how stupid 12 teams would be... 6, while offensive to me at least preserves something of value for regular season success.

This is the NCAA basketball approach, where the regular season is a glorified exhibition and almost all interest lies in the postseason tournament. This is what playoffs do though, they grow but it's a terrible thing to do to the sport.

BigPoppa52

3rd Team
Oct 25, 2020
BAH!! "Please college football fans! Give us more money for absolutely nothing." says the NCAA.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
I heard someone say you do 6 teams with first and second seed getting a bye week. 3 plays six and four plays five for the semis at home. This will give you the most competitive venue and you won't fully lose the importance and value of the bowl games.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The Group of 5 is getting their wish. That's what this is about, a guaranteed spot for at least one, but I'd guess two, group of 5 teams. That can't happen with 6 or 8 teams without leaving out a far more deserving power 5 team. (hint, it can't happen at 12 or even 24 either because no group of 5 team is ever really one of the top 25 teams in the country; no, not 2017 UCF, no not any version of Boise State. I don't care what any of those teams did in a one off bowl game against an unmotivated opponent).

Anyway I digress. The 12 is about inclusion, nothing more, nothing less. It's to quieten down all of the whining about "unfairness" from the little guys and their champions in the media. Never mind a group of 5 will NEVER win this thing and likely won't advance past the 2nd round either. This ain't basketball, and when has a group of 5 program even won that tournament? They are rare.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
BTW, I also think this is why our schedule is changing a good bit in the future. With the home and homes with power 5s, instead of one off neutral site games, sometimes having 2 in the same season. TV is driving this. Money is driving this. Obviously. They need more and better inventory, and Alabama vs. Mercer games aren't cutting it. It's not going to hurt as bad to play a tougher schedule and risk losing a game or two. A 10-2 Alabama is almost a lock to make a 12 team playoff most years. An 11-2 Alabama that wins the SEC is a lock. So you get better games, we don't sweat losses as much, and the money continues to pile up until the house of cards collapses someday.

DawgAlum2054

1st Team
Dec 20, 2018
While 6 rewards the 1st and 2nd place teams with a bye, it does not make money. I just don’t see them watching 2 teams sit when adding 2 more gives them 2 additional games which over the same number of weeks makes more money

Guido

All-SEC
Feb 24, 2017
BAH!! "Please college football fans! Give us more money for absolutely nothing." says the NCAA.
Not so fast my friend, the NCAA doesn't own the playoffs in football like they do in college bball. They probably make a little, as a fee or whatever, but the conferences own the CFP.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
As a reminder, what they think they can demonstrate will pocket the most money will be what they do.

It has nothing at all to do with - not really - national championships or even playoffs. But the constant devaluing of the bowl games has actually put fuel into the booster rocket to enable this. The one thing I would remind them, though, is that you can be RIGHT IN THE ABSTRACT but wrong in reality.

Look, we all thoroughly enjoy the access we have to CFB now. A lot of us recall when that didn't exist. But the catch to it all was that there was MORE MONEY for ALL SCHOOLS back when Alabama on played on TV 2-3 times per year. IN THEORY, "Alabama being on TV is gonna generate more revenue for Alabama." But what actually happened - at first (it did settle better later on) - was a deep-sixing of the TV ratings and at the same time every other sport was getting bigger checks from TV, college football got smaller ones.

They may find - I don't know - that their regular season ratings plummet even lower for schools not "in the running." The days of a Mississippi State tuning in because, "If we win, we'll get the Liberty Bowl" will be gone.

I'm not against so-called "inclusion" because it's inclusion, I'm against it because I think it's going to end the ruse of this basically being minor league football. One thing CFB has long had is the traditions. And no, I'm not even saying letting some of those go is necessarily bad, but anything that turns CFB into the NFL is only going to hurt CFB and help the deeper product in the NFL.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
BTW, I also think this is why our schedule is changing a good bit in the future. With the home and homes with power 5s, instead of one off neutral site games, sometimes having 2 in the same season. TV is driving this. Money is driving this. Obviously. They need more and better inventory, and Alabama vs. Mercer games aren't cutting it. It's not going to hurt as bad to play a tougher schedule and risk losing a game or two. A 10-2 Alabama is almost a lock to make a 12 team playoff most years. An 11-2 Alabama that wins the SEC is a lock. So you get better games, we don't sweat losses as much, and the money continues to pile up until the house of cards collapses someday.
That may happen sooner than you think or they're planning, though.

Reactions: TideEngineer08

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Wonder how many extra games the PTB's think the players can take? IMO any expansion of the playoffs beyond the present 4 teams should come with reducing the regular season to 11 games. Even a 6-team playoff with the top 2 seeds getting byes in the first round is a HUGE advantage to the top 2 seeds. (I know... having to play extra games didn't hurt the teams in the women's softball final... but it's a different sport.)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That may happen sooner than you think or they're planning, though.
All of this reeks of "let's wring out this sponge for as much money as we can before the well runs dry."

It's going to run dry at some point. That's why it's hard for me to get caught up in the specifics of which playoff number/concept works best or is most fair. It doesn't matter. The train is barreling down the tracks and there is no bridge across that canyon coming up ahead.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I am literally sick to my stomach thinking of the poor thirteenth team which will be thrown "under the bus" of the Blue Blood Dozen. How long must Akron, Charlotte and Troy suffer these indignities?

The Blue Bloods will be patting themselves on the back and orating about fairness and inclusion while they will continue to include the 2 loss Notre Dames and 2 loss Ohio States of college football over the little guys who manage to eke (that should be eek out) 1 loss season. Let's not kid around about it: this means the SEC will have at least FIVE teams in the playoff. Last year it would have been Alabama, Texas A&M, Florida, Georgia and their surrogate Clemson.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
As a reminder, what they think they can demonstrate will pocket the most money will be what they do.

It has nothing at all to do with - not really - national championships or even playoffs. But the constant devaluing of the bowl games has actually put fuel into the booster rocket to enable this. The one thing I would remind them, though, is that you can be RIGHT IN THE ABSTRACT but wrong in reality.

Look, we all thoroughly enjoy the access we have to CFB now. A lot of us recall when that didn't exist. But the catch to it all was that there was MORE MONEY for ALL SCHOOLS back when Alabama on played on TV 2-3 times per year. IN THEORY, "Alabama being on TV is gonna generate more revenue for Alabama." But what actually happened - at first (it did settle better later on) - was a deep-sixing of the TV ratings and at the same time every other sport was getting bigger checks from TV, college football got smaller ones.

They may find - I don't know - that their regular season ratings plummet even lower for schools not "in the running." The days of a Mississippi State tuning in because, "If we win, we'll get the Liberty Bowl" will be gone.

I'm not against so-called "inclusion" because it's inclusion, I'm against it because I think it's going to end the ruse of this basically being minor league football. One thing CFB has long had is the traditions. And no, I'm not even saying letting some of those go is necessarily bad, but anything that turns CFB into the NFL is only going to hurt CFB and help the deeper product in the NFL.
You are correct sir! There was a certain drama about watching a floundering Ole Miss or Michigan try to win that sixth game to become bowl eligible. Being bowl eligible no longer seems to matter and just imagine what profound insignificance waits for the other 108 teams while 15 teams flirt with Playoff hopes on that weekend or two.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.