Stanford’s Shaw: Young’s deals not fair value

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Btw - for those of you who don't know (and he may not be the only one who does this)....Jerry Jones gets free labor, too.

The high schools around here try to have fundraisers, so they VOLUNTEER (adults) to staff concession booths at Jerry World for free. There's a certain cutoff at which they get a percentage of anything they sell ABOVE that particular amount.

My ex actually attended the Ohio St-Oregon national championship game staffing a concession booth.

They make literally pennies, and he doesn't have to pay minimum wage.

So for those of you who think, "My God, that person working concessions must have just started today," well, in some cases, you're RIGHT!

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
"A player like Young who hasn't started a game making that much money, he said, "is not what this whole thing is supposed to be about."
one could say the same thing about Silicon Valley tech companies hiring Stanford engineers that haven't done anything yet and paying them $200K / yr + $200K in stock. The $$ isn't quite the same but the sentiments are. Or hedge funds paying Stanford quant PhD's $1MM. That's the same.

Stanford privilege.

BearFoot

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2017
Fairhope, Alabama
I don't think there was anything wrong at all with anything Shaw said there.

In fact, what he's saying has been the legitimate fear of the PTB regarding college football almost from day one.

Side note here: I'm reading five different books at once right now about the history of each conference (technically six, but I read the SEC one years ago). What's hilarious is that almost all of the EXACT SAME PROBLEMS people are complaining about today were issues in the 1890s, too.

The issues MOSTLY have not changed hardly at all.

Here's one I found amusing.

Y'all know how stuck up the Ivy League can be about stuff. Walter Camp, the man credited with inventing football, was a Yale coach. What was truly hilarious was to read about how the faculty and campus powers were "concerned" about football and what it was doing to their young men's health (and to be fair, it was far closer to actual Civil War combat back then prior to Teddy Roosevelt telling them to clean it up or ban it), but Camp was keeping receipts of how much money he was pocketing from the whole thing.

And guess what? The faculty found out about it and.....wanted their cut of the loot.

The entire saga of college football can be summarized:

Something happens >>>>>> people complain >>>>> they get self-righteous>>>>> they find how much money is coming in >>>>>> they demand "our fair share" of the money from a sport they insist is rotten to the core.

I mean, folks, this is Mafioso stuff through and through.

The only real difference in the TV deals of the 1950s and Yale in the 1890s and the players today is that we finally had a court say that the EMPLOYEES who actually take the risk get the money rather than the sideline watchers (many of whom insist they hate the sport) or so-called enforcement staff of the NCAA.

So much of what I'm reading sounds like it was ripped right out of today's online news.
Ecclesiastes 1

New International Version

Everything Is Meaningless
1 The words of the Teacher,[a] son of David, king in Jerusalem:
2 “Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.”
3 What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?
4 Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.
5 The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.
6 The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.
7 All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.
8 All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
10 Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
11 No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It was and is my main concern with NIL; compensation commiserate with “market value”.

So who determines the market value? The “market” or some arbitrary commission set up across college athletics? Last time I checked, the “market value” is determined by whatever someone is willing to pay. It would seem any player in football would have a higher intrinsic “market value” at Alabama due to success of the “Bama Brand”. Same would probably hold true at Kentucky or North Carolina or Duke in basketball. And while the guidelines state these agreements can’t be tied to attendance at certain university, it most certainly will at some point (the wink and nod approach).

And what “if” a student athlete’s NIL agreement exceeds the determined “market value”, what is the recourse?

It isn’t that I have issues with these guys and gals cashing in. I don’t. It just seems to me that more thought and consideration should be given to some of this stuff before “running it up the flagpole and see who salutes”.

Reactions: dathbama

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Btw - for those of you who don't know (and he may not be the only one who does this)....Jerry Jones gets free labor, too.

The high schools around here try to have fundraisers, so they VOLUNTEER (adults) to staff concession booths at Jerry World for free. There's a certain cutoff at which they get a percentage of anything they sell ABOVE that particular amount.

My ex actually attended the Ohio St-Oregon national championship game staffing a concession booth.

So for those of you who think, "My God, that person working concessions must have just started today," well, in some cases, you're RIGHT!
We did that for the Titans and for the amount of time and effort we put in to working the concession stands it was definitely not worth it. I was so tired of hearing the word spoilage.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com

Im pretty sure this is standard procedure at many stadiums at college & pro levels. Including Bryant Denny. Revenue splits may differ but process is same.

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
Meh. Fair market value is, by definition, what the market is willing to offer in compensation for a specific service. If someone knowledgeable and uncoerced is willing to offer Young $xxx,xxx for the use of his NIL, by definition, it’s fair market value. Is some of that value derived from Young’s other affiliations (in this case, crimson)? Absolutely.

Who cares? Same is true for any NIL sponsorship, no matter the industry. It’s valuable to be affiliated with The Crimson Tide. Water’s wet.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Meh. Fair market value is, by definition, what the market is willing to offer in compensation for a specific service. If someone knowledgeable and uncoerced is willing to offer Young $xxx,xxx for the use of his NIL, by definition, it’s fair market value. Is some of that value derived from Young’s other affiliations (in this case, crimson)? Absolutely.

Who cares? Same is true for any NIL sponsorship, no matter the industry. It’s valuable to be affiliated with The Crimson Tide. Water’s wet.
Well, based on his quote that's a fair assessment. However, amateur sports or what were amateur sports have something embedded in them that doesn't really fit with fair market value.

Boosters... up until this point the idea was that the entire thing was essentially non-profit (and really it was, athletic departments generally put not only every penny back into the sports programs but are usually heavily subsidized). The state and city often donated funds in some way, and the boosters donated sums of tens of millions all the way up to 100 million in a single year.

This was not something you saw in the for profit sector, no one was writing a hundred million dollar check to the Dallas Cowboys just because he liked them, so it does create something quite different here. Now, boosters can pay to support players under the guide of the NIL and clearly in some cases that's what's going on. The $10,000 interviews with Texas A&M players for example, the interviews are not worth that. The boosters don't care though since it's just a front to entice players.

It's kind of like trying to judge a charity auction by fair market values. The whole point of the charity auction isn't to get good deals, it's helping a cause. So, the prices people pay can easily exceed fair market values.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
My favorite quote on life not being fair, comes from Chi Chi Rodriguez: "Fair! Life is not fair...if life were fair I would have been born named Rockefeller." Or maybe Kennedy, Rothschild, etc.
My wife teaches 3rd grade and one of the favorite phrases of kids that age, when they feel slighted, is, "That's not fair!" My wife's response for 20+ years has been "The fair comes in October".

FaninLA

2nd Team
Jul 9, 2019
Cantonment, FL
Im pretty sure this is standard procedure at many stadiums at college & pro levels. Including Bryant Denny. Revenue splits may differ but process is same.
My daughter staffed a concession stand at Oklahoma State, as a grad student earning money for their association, under the same circumstances.

BamaNation

Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
My daughter staffed a concession stand at Oklahoma State, as a grad student earning money for their association, under the same circumstances.
Given the general lack of willingness to work these days, this might be the only way concession stands get staffed... and I want my popcorn and drink!! :D But, seriously, I don't have any problem with this being fundraisers for associations if they can actually make some money for their group doing it. 3-5 hours of work could be worth a bundle if they're compensated appropriately. If the details about Jerry World not doing that are true, shame on him/them.

Reactions: FaninLA

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.