State of Alabama defense

JayBama_in_PCOLA

All-American
Oct 2, 2020
Andalusia (living in Pace/Pensacola, Fl)
Sark is out of leading for the job.

I think what happened Saturday night was a result of talented players... they burned us bad. Our inexperience showed up. Safeties didn't do much to help on their part covering, cbs was okay... I think Moore was one who got burned several times. Defense wasn't bad but we just was exposed. I think we'll play better against ND.
I think you’re right. Sometimes our DB were right there and they just made plays. One play was odd and I think Surtain just lost the ball in the lights.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
That linebacker has been playing soft and has been in the try not to get hurt mode all season long.
And he had a well-earned reputation for difficulty with pass coverage dating back before his own injury.

Mullen did everything he could to get him in coverage, and if the situation were reversed, we would have done the same thing.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
So, I'm trying to figure out what I'm supposed to think:

Off-season: "Golding is not the answer"

After Ole Miss: "PG must have dirty pictures of CNS"

Last 5 games before SECCG: "Anybody got any good crow recipes?"

After SECCG: "Who should our next DC be?"
No blue font needed - all of that was real, and all of it warranted.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
While UF is not the most talented team we will play the rest of this season, I still believe they have the best offense.

Shutting them down was never going to happen. I expected that we would allow 31-38 points by them. That they got to 46 is a little strange and can be explained, IMO. The two fumble recoveries that weren’t, for example.

Reactions: B1GTide

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
Ben has incredible breakdown of the flims by Bama defense.
(1) Benjamin Litvin (@Ben_Litvin) / Twitter
He is basically saying that we had right gameplan, we did everything right for the most part.... hit follow to see his clips.
Yep, and this is basically what the College Football Nerds on YouTube were saying. Its not like the Clemson debacle where we were just out schemed......this one is Florida making plays and having some things fall in place, like an offsides on a fumble (Jobe SMH), Moore falling backwards onto a fumble, and that finger tip control non-fumble, and Surtain losing the ball on that Pitts TD.

I'd also contend that UF had practiced for Bama during their LSU week.

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019
A traditionally sound D in this new era of football is not as good as having a more disruptive defense...if you've got a prolific offense.

That's going to start with DL and LB getting in the backfield.....ala how Stanford used to disrupt Oregon in the Chip Kelly days. That's also why Clemson in 2018, with four NFL DL was able to disrupt us so much.

No matter what goes on in the game of football, all these prolific offenses and rules favoring the O.....the game still comes down to the strength of the OL and DL.

Windsortide

All-American
Nov 11, 2019
Our secondary is still young and will improve. Top of the cap to Florida for making plays. I am just glad we have the opportunity to get better. Pass rush I thought was pretty good at times.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
A traditionally sound D in this new era of football is not as good as having a more disruptive defense...if you've got a prolific offense.

That's going to start with DL and LB getting in the backfield.....ala how Stanford used to disrupt Oregon in the Chip Kelly days. That's also why Clemson in 2018, with four NFL DL was able to disrupt us so much.

No matter what goes on in the game of football, all these prolific offenses and rules favoring the O.....the game still comes down to the strength of the OL and DL.
And that is why I wonder why we didn’t pressure more In the second half. It was working in the 2nd quarter?

Reactions: B1GTide

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Ben has incredible breakdown of the flims by Bama defense.
(1) Benjamin Litvin (@Ben_Litvin) / Twitter
He is basically saying that we had right gameplan, we did everything right for the most part.... hit follow to see his clips.
I went back and watched the game today. 1) it should have been 35-10 at the half due to the first botched call. 2) they scored immediately after the half and then the 2nd botched call they score again. 3) after its close Bama scores 10 straight.

one has to wonder if the game strategy would shut it down at 45-17? All evidence says we run the clock down and have a much more convincing win.

The players were there most of the time. Battle missed a tackle that stops a scoring drive. If PS finds the ball he stops a TD. If Branch doesn’t fall its 3rd and long and so on.
IT just certainly wasn’t as bad as it was at OM. I’m not saying that everything was ok because there’s lots to do better but it’s also not a Big 12 hopeless cause.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
So, I'm trying to figure out what I'm supposed to think:

Off-season: "Golding is not the answer"

After Ole Miss: "PG must have dirty pictures of CNS"

Last 5 games before SECCG: "Anybody got any good crow recipes?"

After SECCG: "Who should our next DC be?"
You must be new here

irvingtontide

3rd Team
Sep 5, 2019
I went back and watched the game today. 1) it should have been 35-10 at the half due to the first botched call. 2) they scored immediately after the half and then the 2nd botched call they score again. 3) after its close Bama scores 10 straight.

one has to wonder if the game strategy would shut it down at 45-17? All evidence says we run the clock down and have a much more convincing win.

The players were there most of the time. Battle missed a tackle that stops a scoring drive. If PS finds the ball he stops a TD. If Branch doesn’t fall its 3rd and long and so on.
IT just certainly wasn’t as bad as it was at OM. I’m not saying that everything was ok because there’s lots to do better but it’s also not a Big 12 hopeless cause.
Going off recollection of the game I agree with you the defense had some bad moments but also was in position and just didn't make the play. I'm of the mind that Florida is good and we just had some miscues in a already hard matchup. Add them running trask when we vacated the box and it got worse. If there is one thing I would want our defense to work out is that. I would think Clemson is going to attempt to go 5 wide to vacate the box and run Lawrence when they like the numbers. The difference I think we can make here is depend on man coverage more against their receivers and have a spy. I also think we can dial up a few more blitz plays against Clemson and not get burned for it as much.

Yes I will say PG is not Pruitt or Bowl cut and I maybe give people a longer rope than need be but he's not a complete failure like he's made out to be. If we had a little better MLB play the last two years this isn't even a discussion. I've come around on the Moses isn't the Moses of old and last year lee was just to slow sideline to sideline and it hurt. We've adjusted to the RB and the TE as the year has gone on and we've been in position to stop those plays as of late.

This is just my opinion and I will eat the crow if necessary.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Got a question, but don't want to start a new thread about this:

I've seen several posters mention something like bad officiating gave Florida 14 points.

I'm assuming the fumble on the goal line after a long catch is one of them. What's the other?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.