State of Alabama defense

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Okay, one more of many one more final thoughts - the mush rush is a failure. Time for Saban to realize it and throw it in the dumpster. Most teams do not do this. Alabama started doing it because of the Manziel game. It is time to stop. It does not work.
Well, Corral looked like the second coming of Manziel last night.

We have ALWAYS struggled against a mobile QB with a great arm... :oops:

Reactions: seebell

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I’d say the run defense was by far the most disappointing and worrisome aspect of the game last night. Zero push and in fact they were getting annihilated on the front. Will Anderson just has to learn how to rush with more discipline but that’s to be expected. He’s going to be an absolute monsta!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Coach said with today’s offense it’s very difficult to defend. Almost like it can’t be done.
Sounds like a challenge to me. He may be doing a little soul searching about his scheme today but I know Coach has the stones to do what is necessary to right the problem. Thing is, we won despite a horrible defensive effort. I suspect we will play much better next week. Going forward though...we may be in for a defensive scheme overhaul and a bigtime hire in the off season.

Reactions: Chukker Veteran

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
When Saban hired Golding, from an obscure school, UTSA, he was the most impressive young coach Saban had hired. From what I heard about his initial interview, he spent hours at the whiteboard, beguiling the rest of the staff. He hired him on the spot. Golding took over play-calling partway through the season because Lupoi was in over his head. The enduring mystery for me is what happened between the "x"s and "o"s and today. Saban didn't get to where he is today by having bad judgment about assistants. On the flip side, he's seeing exactly what we're seeing with the performance of the defense. In the past, he's not hesitated to lift duties from nonperforming coaches. It's happened several times, yet he hasn't done it to Golding. I have the feeling there's some "X" factor I'm not getting and it's bugging the hell out of me...

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
There were 29 games yesterday involving FBS teams. Only 3 teams gave up more points than our defense. Obviously, one of the three was Ole Miss. I didn't count what Texas gave up to Oklahoma because that was an OT game. They gave up just 31 points in regulation. Just look at the scores...most of the point totals were acceptable considering this era of offensive football. Nothing about our game last night was acceptable.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
When Saban hired Golding, from an obscure school, UTSA, he was the most impressive young coach Saban had hired. From what I heard about his initial interview, he spent hours at the whiteboard, beguiling the rest of the staff. He hired him on the spot. Golding took over play-calling partway through the season because Lupoi was in over his head. The enduring mystery for me is what happened between the "x"s and "o"s and today. Saban didn't get to where he is today by having bad judgment about assistants. On the flip side, he's seeing exactly what we're seeing with the performance of the defense. In the past, he's not hesitated to lift duties from nonperforming coaches. It's happened several times, yet he hasn't done it to Golding. I have the feeling there's some "X" factor I'm not getting and it's bugging the hell out of me...
Trust me Earle...you ain’t alone. A common joke involves the idea that maybe CPG has all the pictures as leverage;)

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
It’s the worst defense I have seen by even the worst Alabama teams.

horrendously bad.
I was thinking that watching last night. There are a few games I can remember such as in the 67-69 seasons and a few more come to mind as I think about in those years preceding CNS. I don't remember anytime seeing as good a front seven as Bama has be so consistently gashed by the run game to the extent as occurred last night. One thing that isn't coaching is the mistake Daniel Wright (I believe) made on the pass over the middle that went for a touchdown. There had to be many more of those in the secondary that weren't as obvious. The team is way inexperienced on the back end.

I do tend to believe that Golding is a technician. It shows up in his practice drills. When players are asked to think and shift before each play and become unsettled they are never able to pin their ears back and play aggressive football. I can't ever see him growing into the roll filled by KS and JP. It isn't in his nature IMO.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
I also do truly think that CLK has probably been game planning for this game since they started back practicing. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he did a Clempson and began practicing for Bama weeks ago. He wanted Sooooooo BAD to be the FIRST assistant to beat Daddy.

denver

All-American
Nov 11, 2017
Maybe last night was an anomaly - but the signs had been there in the other 2 games. No consistent pass rush or penetration, giving up long plays on routine play calls and blown coverages. We lack identity - used to be you couldnt run on us, now all options are open.

Reactions: tideindc

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
I was thinking that watching last night. There are a few games I can remember such as in the 67-69 seasons and a few more come to mind as I think about in those years preceding CNS. I don't remember anytime seeing as good a front seven as Bama has be so consistently gashed by the run game to the extent as occurred last night. One thing that isn't coaching is the mistake Daniel Wright (I believe) made on the pass over the middle that went for a touchdown. There had to be many more of those in the secondary that weren't as obvious. The team is way inexperienced on the back end.

I do tend to believe that Golding is a technician. It shows up in his practice drills. When players are asked to think and shift before each play and become unsettled they are never able to pin their ears back and play aggressive football. I can't ever see him growing into the roll filled by KS and JP. It isn't in his nature IMO.
DW was playing HERO ball. It was just a selfish play that we all would have been marveling about had he made the pick. Problem was that he was the contain. I guarantee you he will be saying “my bad” today in the film room.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005
If Golding is the white elephant, I’d like to know why also.

gymcoach

1st Team
Dec 6, 2006
Ok here is my last post on this.
1. I understand that the days of the Stallings, Bryant, Woody Hayes( that’s for you B1GTide) defenses are long gone. I just want to see our defensive guys flying around to the ball with bad intentions like those guys. If you get targeting so be it. Next man up.
2. Attack attack attack!!! Fill gaps and penetrate the offensive back field. Blitz guys from all angels. Run stunts, move your linemen before the snap. Create confusion for the offense, they seem to be the ones creating the confusion. QB’s are sitting back and don’t have to go through progressions because they know what our defense is doing.
3. Stop worrying about the QB’s hurting us with their feet and let the 4* and 5* guys use their God given ability and fly around. Big plays are going to be made in today’s era of college football but big plays can be made by defenses and you can’t do that with the type of D we are running. Continue to sit back and every team will run up and down the field on us. Yes, even Georgia.
4.Simplify for the young studs, freshmen, and let them play with reckless abandonment. If they make a mistake so what, they learn. Yes, it could cost you a big gain, TD or even a game but they gain experience.
I guess I could have made this a lot shorter by saying simplify the defense, attack the offense like your life depends on it and fly to the ball with bad intentions. I don’t see any of that from our D.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
I often wonder if our defensive is too complicated. Our lineup is full of 4 and 5 star athletes. Sometimes I think we need to just put them in a base package and let them get after it.

Reactions: seebell

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.