News Article: Steve Shaw named national coordinator for officiating

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The SEC teams, in general, are Ferraris. The officials are slow, beat up pintos who think and act like they’re Rolls Royces. Therein lies the problem.
This. ^^^^^^^

It has been my contention for years the speed of the game has left officiating in its wake.

What is most frustrating is the SEC office and Mr Shaw in recent years have refused to admit “yeah our guy was out of position” or CYA’d themselves by some bogus “clarification”. The accountability has gotten far worse since Shaw took over.

People recognize that officials are human. If your crew blows a call, admit it. If you are not going to admit your mistakes then at least hire people capable of keeping up with the pace of play on the field where you have a better chance to get the call right.

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
I'll send him a cookie when he actually starts cleaning up the officiating.
He's in a position to do something about it. He was in a position to do something about it in the SEC and didn't so I ain't holding out hope that he will now, either.

Reactions: BamaNation

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
If and when Shaw does something of merit,
I will recognize it.
Until then, I'm going to judge Shaw and our Refs by their past uncorrected errors.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
Does that mean the SEC is getting a new one...? :D
What we need is someone as head of SEC officiating who, like Coach Bryant in December 1957 and Coach Saban in January 2007, comes in and cleans house of those who are unwilling or incapable of stepping up (in this case as professional referees.)

There's a difference in trying to be a professional referee and actually being one. Do or do not, there is no try. What we have in the SEC - and all other conferences - is a lot of professionals (lawyers, insurance salesmen, etc) who play referree on the weekend. They don't like that analysis, but it's very true and I think it's getting worse each year - especially as we can watch how bad they are in 4K and soon to be 8K.

BTW, the next game I officiate will be my first. That doesn't prevent me from observing that currently they, as a general rule, suck. And add in the video review officials, as well. There is zero consistency from anything wearing a zebra suit.

And let me add that I think the former referees commenting in the booth are idiots. Their explanations make no sense and they never truly criticize their brethren for being totally wrong. This is especially the case on so many of the stupid replay rulings we see each week.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Couldn’t help but laugh out loud at the comments to the tweet sent out by SECOfficiating announcing Shaw’s move on 12/20.

My favorite response was “talk about being tone deaf”.
😂😂😂😂😂

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
They obviously operate under a theory that, if they admit even one mistake, the dam will burst...
Admitting error would result in undermining their self-sense of jurisprudendce. One overruled precedent might, in their view, bring the house of cards down.

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
When I saw the SEC Officials try to defend the egregious call where the LSwho player stood out of bounds then catch the football and not have control until he fell out of bounds my opinion of SEC officiating hit a new low.

Reactions: B1GTide

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I can understand some missed calls on the field. The game does move fast, and we used to say that they didn't have the benefit of slow-motion replay.

Well, now they do have the benefit of slow-motion replay, and they still make inexplicable rulings both ways: Sometimes overturn calls that should have stood. Sometimes let it stand when it's clear it should have been overturned.

The worst, though, is the inconsistency in what constitutes a given infraction, especially those that aren't reviewable -- holding anyone? Ineligible man downfield? Roughing the quarterback?

I used to think they weren't biased, just incompetent. But in light of the unfathomable imbalance of holding calls on Alabama vs. on Alabama's opponents, vs. those same opponents when not playing Alabama, and the interference of Pac-12 legal counsel a couple of years ago in a crucial replay scenario, I can no longer give them that benefit.

And now the head of the organization that brought us all this (except the Pac-12 debacle) is going to lead officiating for the NCAA? This is beyond the Peter Principle. It's when Frank Burns got promoted out of the field in M*A*S*H. (M*A*S*H Reference for the OFC. Youngsters look it up.)

The only positive here is that the SEC will get a new coordinator of officials. I don't know if it'll help. But I know for a stone-cold fact that Shaw can't lead a function that's effective on the field. One can hope.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.