Student Loan Debt

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Solution - make the schools offer the loans themselves, and allow student loan debt to be forgiven with bankruptcy. Schools do what they do for the same reasons that banks will write a mortgage to a dead person if given the chance - they have no skin in the game - nothing to lose. They get paid 100% of the time.
The only way you get out of student debt is to die. Your family does not take on that debt.

Edit: My dad took out a student loan for me. He died my first year of school. They tried to collect but since I never signed the papers and neither did my mother, The debt was forgiven. It was only 5k, but still was forgiven.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The only way you get out of student debt is to die. Your family does not take on that debt.

Edit: My dad took out a student loan for me. He died my first year of school. They tried to collect but since I never signed the papers and neither did my mother, The debt was forgiven. It was only 5k, but still was forgiven.
There are a number of scam companies which are buying up claims on decedents and trying to collect from their estates, although you are correct about the debt being extinguished by death. I had a elderly client recently pass. Years ago, he had decided to pay off his son's student debt. The son, a teacher, was disabled with chronic Lyme's disease and could only work part time, and the collection company was making life miserable. In fact, he predeceased his father. Well before his and his father's deaths, we had negotiated a lower payoff with the company which had come to own the debt, since the son, being on California disability, was obviously going to die with a lot of the debt still owed. Well, the son died, then his father died. The father never assumed nor signed for the debt. Nevertheless, a scammer bought the claim and had the nerve to call me, the attorney of record for the estate. When she announced to me that she was a lawyer and she was "trying to collect a debt," (she was lying - she wasn't a lawyer, which I didn't know until later), I pronounced back that she was really low-class scum, trying to collect a debt which had already been liquidated. That was the end of it...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
There are a number of scam companies which are buying up claims on decedents and trying to collect from their estates, although you are correct about the debt being extinguished by death. I had a elderly client recently pass. Years ago, he had decided to pay off his son's student debt. The son, a teacher, was disabled with chronic Lyme's disease and could only work part time, and the collection company was making life miserable. In fact, he predeceased his father. Well before his and his father's deaths, we had negotiated a lower payoff with the company which had come to own the debt, since the son, being on California disability, was obviously going to die with a lot of the debt still owed. Well, the son died, then his father died. The father never assumed nor signed for the debt. Nevertheless, a scammer bought the claim and had the nerve to call me, the attorney of record for the estate. When she announced to me that she was a lawyer and she was "trying to collect a debt," (she was lying - she wasn't a lawyer, which I didn't know until later), I pronounced back that she was really low-class scum, trying to collect a debt which had already been liquidated. That was the end of it...
Never met you in person, but I suspect if I called you trying to scam your client or their estate, it would be a very unpleasant conversation.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Never met you in person, but I suspect if I called you trying to scam your client or their estate, it would be a very unpleasant conversation.
These people are bulletproof. They're psychopathic in personality or they wouldn't be able to do this for a living. It doesn't matter what you call them, so, sometimes, I indulge myself...

J0eW

1st Team
Jul 18, 2020
These people are bulletproof. They're psychopathic in personality or they wouldn't be able to do this for a living. It doesn't matter what you call them, so, sometimes, I indulge myself...
Such scammers/con-men/etc. are the main reason I have caller ID. If I don't recognize the caller or number, it never gets answered.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Such scammers/con-men/etc. are the main reason I have caller ID. If I don't recognize the caller or number, it never gets answered.
If I get a call from someone not in my phone book, it goes straight to voicemail and I never hear it ring. I do check voicemail at least once a day to make sure nobody important called.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Saw last week walmart was offering to pay for the tuition of all employees that were interested in going to college. Now today I see Target is doing the same thing. It seems like a good investment with the worker shortage because college takes 4 years so they may be guaranteeing themselves a large amount of 4 year employees. With states no longer contributing to higher education like they once did, could large corporations fill that void in the near future?

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Meh.....a college can charge whatever they want. This idea that everyone has to go to college needs to end, or at the very least because you went to college you'll succeed. And if a kid wants to go to college for the "experience" well then, enjoy experiencing debt.

College is a tool, like many other things. Some people use it correctly, some don't. And why not charge through the roof when you know that federal aid loan will get approved. Then you as a college can get additional federal funding directly for this or that. It's pretty genius.

As always, no empathy here. Unless colleges or these loan programs are straight lying or switching up contracts after the fact, why are people upset? Asking for a friend....can't people go to local, junior, community colleges and receive degrees at fractions of the cost and the UAs and Auburns of the world?

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Saw last week walmart was offering to pay for the tuition of all employees that were interested in going to college. Now today I see Target is doing the same thing. It seems like a good investment with the worker shortage because college takes 4 years so they may be guaranteeing themselves a large amount of 4 year employees. With states no longer contributing to higher education like they once did, could large corporations fill that void in the near future?
Militaries been doing it for decades. And they even clothe/house you. Head on down to your nearest recruiter!

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Militaries been doing it for decades. And they even clothe/house you. Head on down to your nearest recruiter!
The military did pay for my education. As a matter of fact they paid my tuition and paid me a monthly BAH. I am not one of those that thinks everyone should join the military. So for those that do not feel inclined to join the military how do they pay for their education?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The military did pay for my education. As a matter of fact they paid my tuition and paid me a monthly BAH. I am not one of those that thinks everyone should join the military. So for those that do not feel inclined to join the military how do they pay for their education?
everyone else can be a plumber. they make good money

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Meh.....a college can charge whatever they want. This idea that everyone has to go to college needs to end, or at the very least because you went to college you'll succeed. And if a kid wants to go to college for the "experience" well then, enjoy experiencing debt.

College is a tool, like many other things. Some people use it correctly, some don't. And why not charge through the roof when you know that federal aid loan will get approved. Then you as a college can get additional federal funding directly for this or that. It's pretty genius.

As always, no empathy here. Unless colleges or these loan programs are straight lying or switching up contracts after the fact, why are people upset? Asking for a friend....can't people go to local, junior, community colleges and receive degrees at fractions of the cost and the UAs and Auburns of the world?
I agree that college isn't for everyone. But community colleges still cost a lot.

They do also lie. I went to 3 colleges total. 2 were Auburn and AUM - I made appointments at Auburn and asked in advance if the AUM credits transferred. They said that they did. They actually did not, they cost me a year, and lots of money. I begged AUM to take me back and transfer credits. They did.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I agree that college isn't for everyone. But community colleges still cost a lot.

They do also lie. I went to 3 colleges total. 2 were Auburn and AUM - I made appointments at Auburn and asked in advance if the AUM credits transferred. They said that they did. They actually did not, they cost me a year, and lots of money. I begged AUM to take me back and transfer credits. They did.
I went to Jeff State first. I was told all the classes would transfer, only about half did. Some where transferred as "credit hours" but not actual classes. I was pretty damn angry when I had to retake structures classes.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Scholarship, grants, loans? I don't think college should be free. But at the same time, if you attend college it should be for something of value. Again, this whole thing from the 80s on that became the American believe that college guaranteed higher income, better jobs, etc. It did trend that way for a long time but since the 90s, it absolutely doesn't seem to be going that way.

A thing of value should have a cost.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
that article makes me lose a lot of respect for my alma mater. and i know what they are doing is quite common.
The bolded part is what's sad. I went to a private university that was $18k per year, which was at the time, considered fairly expensive. It's now near $35k per year (20 years later). They have several programs to get kids' education mostly paid for through various grants and it has a large endowment. It is in another state so there are more funds available to help offset the cost (TN). One such program pays for 3 of 4 years and the student pays for the 4th. The school gave alumni information about this program at an area alumni meeting a couple of years ago. Someone asked the school rep how students pay for the fourth year. His response- student loans. The rep said, "Isn't ___________ college's experience worth one year's salary in student loans?" I looked at my friend sitting with me and said, "$35,000 in student loans isn't one year's salary. It is a decade of payments."

Don't get me wrong I love both schools of which I am an alumnus. One of which is doing something about the student loan crises similar to what you see at the University of the Ozarks. Where I completed my graduate degrees is starting a doctoral program in 2022 and I plan to start shortly after. I will not start until I have money saved to pay it as I go. But I wonder how many school reps have used a similar line on prospective students and they bought it? It is deceitful.

Last edited:
Reactions: MobtownK and 92tide

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The bolded part is what's sad. I went to a private university that was $18k per year, which was at the time, considered fairly expensive. It's now near $35k per year (20 years later). They have several programs to get kids' education mostly paid for through various grants and it has a large endowment. It is in another state so there are more funds available to help offset the cost (TN). One such program pays for 3 of 4 years and the student pays for the 4th. They gave alumni information about this program in an area alumni meeting a couple of years ago. Someone asked the school rep how students pay for the fourth year. His response- student loans. The rep said, "Isn't ___________ college's experience worth one year's salary in student loans?" I looked at my friend sitting with me and said, "$35,000 in student loans isn't one year's salary. It is a decade of payments."

Don't get me wrong I love both schools of which I am an alumnus. One of which is doing something about the student loan crises similar to what you see at the University of the Ozarks. Where I completed my graduate degrees is starting a doctoral program in 2022 and I plan to start shortly after. I will not start until I have money saved to pay it as I go. But I wonder how many school reps have used a similar line on prospective students and they bought it? It is deceitful.
The student load program is the greatest deception played on those of middle and lower income...by both the government and the universities. How the schools avoid any liability is beyond me...these loans have financed billions of dollars in buildings and programs...and the students are left holding the bill. Yes, the students should have looked closer...but most of them are financially ignorant at those stages. I know I was...just got lucky that my Dad insisted I work and pay what scholarships could not.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
One thing that's telling--The son I just dropped off at college, my wife and I really aren't sure he's ready for college; he could probably do with a year to just work and get a better handle on life.

But schools won't hold scholarships; to get the money, you have to enroll immediately. And that has to result in kids going to school who aren't ready. Schools seem more interested in maintaining the cash flow than in anything else.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.