BREAKING Sugar Bowl: Kansas State vs Alabama

JohnD

1st Team
Dec 22, 2003
A little 12 championship and the chance to beat Bama in the same season in the Sugar Bowl? Yeah, they will probably be all hands on deck for that opportunity.
I doubt it. They'll have kids sitting out. For example, Vaughn is a Jr. He had over 1400 yards this year and raised a lot of eyebrows Saturday.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
2008 team vs Utah. This is DeJaVu. Physical - K-State v. finesse - Bama. Saban has forgotten what made him.
First, it’s laughable to say that 2008 Alabama was “finesse”. That team was about as physical and smash mouth as we have ever been.

This is not 2008 Deja Vu. In 2008 we came within half a quarter of beating top of the world Florida and its Heisman winner for the SEC Title. The team that went on to win the National Championship. Alabama went into that Sugar Bowl thinking about how they basically already played the national title game.

This season, we have realistically been out of the hunt since the first weekend of November. The season has been disappointing, but we were hardly on the cusp of an NC before getting relegated to the Sugar Bowl like in 08 and 13. No, if you look at the history, Alabama under Saban performs well in the bowl game when they have been eliminated early from the NC picture. 10 and 19. And let’s be amazed that there are so few data points to even argue over.

And lastly, as an aside, 2008 was an amazing season for what we had at the time. 2008 truly started the Saban dynasty, despite not winning any titles that year itself. One of my favorite teams.

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012
Listening the the talking boobs on Sirius this afternoon (the U station) and they are suggesting none of our draft picks should be playing. Specifically mentioned Bryce and Will, said they both would be “stupid“ to play. I just hate this day and age!
They are a collective bunch of grade A, board certified goobers that get paid way to much to toss around opinions that they hope sticks enough to either, A. Cause controversy and possibly sway a broken system and get viewer's/listeners. B. Sling poop at a wall blindly and hope it sticks so they can say "See, I was right!" And C. A combination of both that gives them more relevancy than they ever deserved in the first place. They can't form a solid opinion for themselves, but they dang sure do their best to form an opinion for the consumer. I'd rather be a plus sized woman buying shoes from Al Bundy before believing a single word that comes out of some of these clowns mouths.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I'm torn about the opt outs. I know it's a "smart, business move" for guys like Young and Anderson to sit out but knowing the bowl game is their last game as members of the Crimson Tide, I could see both playing, even if it is limited snaps. OTOH, in the case of Young, him sitting out would give TS and JM all the snaps to show Saban what they have. Winning/Losing the bowl game no longer matters to me especially in this age of playoffs.

I think Bryce will play, Will Anderson I am 50/50 on.

Reactions: Padreruf

Perrett4Bama

All-American
Aug 28, 2001
Panama City, Florida
Everybody relax, we will win this game in convincing fashion! I am just excited that I get to see another Alabama Football game, and Bama in a Sugar Bowl at that. Call me old fashioned but I still like the ring of "Sugar Bowl". No, we didn’t make the playoffs and that is a HUGE disappointment but WE allowed other teams and a committee to control our destination so that is on us. CNS will get us back on track. Have faith in the GOAT and for goodness sake, ENJOY everygame like it was your first Alabama game, remember that. IF you are a real fan you should! Mine was 45 years ago and I still get goosebumps thinking about it. I can't wait to watch this game like a ten year old kid, even if it is at 11am.😉 Boy, I LOVE ALABAMA FOOTBALL!

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
I think we'll have opt outs and come out flat as a pancake. At least we'll get to see some of the '23 players in bigger roles.
itvery well could happen that way, but my thoughts if they are going to opt out I can understand that and that’s ok, what it does give us is the players that don’t opt out or transfer out an opportunity to get extra practice and show what they can do… I think their excitement to play will be off the charts and we win in regulation… I do think if players don’t opt out and try to play like they are trying not to get hurt we could see a flat game and close loss… if the opt out players don’t opt out and play like they have something to prove then the backups will be in late third quarter. I am for the first and third options the second would be sickening to me.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Offensively and defensively, Alabama is better. The stats against better competition bear that out. If they played today, Alabama wins handily.

KSU's only hope is opt outs and intangibles. KSU is far more disciplined and has a +14 turnover margin this season (Alabama is -4).

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Well, based on the Chicken Little - Eeyore responses so far guess I’ll check in closer to game day.
Yeah, I’m disappointed in the way the season has gone and I’ve had my over reaction moments having to walk back a couple frustrated comments but DAYUM! Some of y’all need to turn in your fan cards.
Some were even predicting us to get absolutely obliterated by auburn. Lord, the pessimism this year has been worse than it was even in the Shula years

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Lol. We get rewarded with an 11 am Sugar bowl. When was the last time the Sugar bowl was at 11am.

This year was a the greatest jokes of a season and I can’t believe how we fell for it looking back. Oh well, Atleast we beat Auburn, Texas, and aTm but otherwise this is the most disappointing seasons , if not the most disappointing seasons, in the Saban run and everything about this year’s Sugar Bowl pretty much adds to it.
The last time the Sugar Bowl was a day game was in 1987 (New Year's Day 1988). Auburn and Syracuse played in a 2:30 game on NBC. That is the only time since I've kept up with college ball that the Sugar Bowl was not a night game. I don't believe it has ever been a morning kickoff

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
Offensively and defensively, Alabama is better. The stats against better competition bear that out. If they played today, Alabama wins handily.

KSU's only hope is opt outs and intangibles. KSU is far more disciplined and has a +14 turnover margin this season (Alabama is -4).
Very good point about the turnovers. I suspect KSU is a lot more excited to play Bama than Bama is excited to play KSU regardless of opt outs. I also think this KSU team is probably better than we give them credit. Early line is only Bama (-5.5).

bamamoss2

All-SEC
Sep 10, 2000
Cullman, Alabama
The last time the Sugar Bowl was a day game was in 1987 (New Year's Day 1988). Auburn and Syracuse played in a 2:30 game on NBC. That is the only time since I've kept up with college ball that the Sugar Bowl was not a night game. I don't believe it has ever been a morning kickoff
Yes, it sucks that the Sugar Bowl is an 1100 AM kickoff. KSU will be much better prepared than Bama for that time to start.

Clay

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 12, 2017
Welp, I am prepared to get blasted but if you are a first-round pick you CAN NOT play in this game. The way the slotting is done and the rookie contracts are paid you just can not take the chance. The 12-team playoff will change some of this but I have no problem with young men trying to secure the best they can for themselves and their families. I also like that players on this team will get practice time and playing time if the opt-outs are leaving. This bowl game is about the extra practice and trying to get a feel for the next year.

I am ready for the abuse :)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.