Summer 2020 is here........

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Heat index here has been exceeding 100 lately. Brutal.

I try to get a few hours in every morning and then back home and inside to let the AC cool my head back down.

Times like this I appreciate being semi-retired without my feet being held to the fire to get things done.

Saturday morning I put a sun shade up over where I park my truck. I've used it for the past couple years during our warm season and it helps moderate the temps there.

I'm hoping to build an actual carport there in the very near future.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Heat Index in Huntsville, Alabamy will approach 101. Summertime is here. I remember working all day in this heat, but that was 40 years and 100 pounds ago. Hard for me to deal with the heat now. All my medications say " avoid excessive heat and overexposure to sunlight".

Thank You Lord for air conditioning.

Seebell young and old.

1593450791406.png

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Heat Index in Huntsville, Alabamy will approach 101. Summertime is here. I remember working all day in this heat, but that was 40 years and 100 pounds ago. Hard for me to deal with the heat now. All my medications say " avoid excessive heat and overexposure to sunlight".

Seebell young and old.

View attachment 9130
Copy that.

I thank the sweet Lord every day for air conditioning!

I have central air for my home but also a small window unit just for emergencies. It's left in the window all year long. I have larger window unit that stays in it's original packaging except when needed to supplement the other smaller window unit.

I use them when I have an issue with my central air so I'm not stranded and at the mercy of whatever repair scenario is needed. Also use them when we have an extended power outage - which only happens when a hurricane impacts our area badly enough. Then I plug them into my generator.

Those hurricanes of course only come when it's sweltering hot here!

Reactions: UAH and seebell

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Seebell young and old.

View attachment 9130
The reason I live on a mountaintop. We're at 81F, might make 82...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
The reason I live on a mountaintop. We're at 81F, might make 82...
It is sweltering in Madison. We have been out most of the morning mixing soil and planting sweet potatoes. My first thought when I went outside to lace up my boots... This is the time that gardening changes from a hobby to work!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It is sweltering in Madison. We have been out most of the morning mixing soil and planting sweet potatoes. My first thought when I went outside to lace up my boots... This is the time that gardening changes from a hobby to work!
Even up here, the humidity was so high that it didn't take much to raise a sweat. We trapped a groundhog and I had to load the trap for deportation. It was only 77F, but I was surprised to find myself covered with a light patina, that and a little poop, but that's another story...

Reactions: UAH

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Honestly, if I could, I'd rather go to the southern hemisphere in March and return to the northern hemisphere in late September and have two winters each year and no summers.
If I had the means, I'd go to Uruguay and learn some more Spanish.

Reactions: seebell and Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I've had two work sessions outside already. Having lunch now...watching Gunsmoke. Third shift will be later on.

Received delivery of a 6'x20' sun shade product I will be stringing up on the east facing side of my two living room windows to defray some of the morning sun.

Reactions: crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I honestly don't mid the heat - there's something 'freeing' about getting out and doing work in the heat, the kind of heat most softies wilt under. But then I grew up in Orlando and now live in Memphis, so if I hated the heat I've made lots of bad choices wrt where to live. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I honestly don't mid the heat - there's something 'freeing' about getting out and doing work in the heat, the kind of heat most softies wilt under. But then I grew up in Orlando and now live in Memphis, so if I hated the heat I've made lots of bad choices wrt where to live. :ROFLMAO:
I love the heat. Love working in it and love running in it. But the older I get, the more it slows me down.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I used to bed-load 18-wheeler trailers in Houston (Clear Lake City) in the summers when I was going to Alabama.
My pants were soaked from the knees up by 9:00 am and stayed that way until I left work. In Houston, the weather is always the same between May and September: high of 93, 90% humidity. Rain shower 2:00 pm to 2:20 pm. Then the sun came back and the humidity went up to 100%.
Worst place I ever went to was Djibouti in August. The thermometer in the shade said 115. In the sun it said 140. Being right on the coast, the humidity was very high. At sunrise, the temperature dips all the way down to 90. In the scramble for Africa in the late 1800, the French went to Djibouti and said, "This place sucks. Let's stay here."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.