News Article: Sunscreen Chemicals Accumulate in Body at High Levels

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
From the WSJ
FDA study looked at six common ingredients; proposed rule to test safety remains on hold

For the second time in less than a year, a study of common sunscreen ingredients has established that the chemicals are absorbed into the bloodstream at concentrations far greater than the Food and Drug Administration’s safety threshold.

According to the FDA, if active ingredients are found in the blood at a level of 0.5 nanograms per milliliter or higher, they should be analyzed to determine whether they increase the risk of cancer, birth defects or other adverse effects.

The maximum concentration of the six chemicals examined most recently by the FDA ranged from 3.3 nanograms per milliliter to 258.1, depending on the chemical and whether it was applied to the skin in the form of a lotion or spray.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Can’t get through the paywall to the article.

Was there any discussion about the dangers of sun exposure vs. the accumulation of sunscreen chemicals? Or whether sunscreen or sunburn present greater overall risks?

Because I can’t read the article, I can’t say whether it falls into my most despised category — the “yeah, but....” without (1) a recommendation and (2) a logical line of reasoning behind the recommendation.

Most often, what passes for journalism today just rings the bell. “Don’t go out in the sun without sunscreen....it causes skin cancer and prematurely aged skin. But don’t wear sunscreen....it builds up in your body.”

Then, when asked whether they’re recommending a cloistered life, birth to grave, you get the slipstream.

So did the author recommend a resolution, or, having warned them against either course of action, leave her readers to their own devices, with a pre-constructed “tolja so” built in?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
After my two surgeries and my scar which runs from the corner of my right eye to the middle of my forehead, I had an amusing exchange with the plastic surgeon who had done the first operation and failed to get all the cancer. The Mohs surgeon had turned me back to him for followup. He started lecturing me on staying out of the sun and never, ever going out without sunscreen. I pointed out that no study yet had shown any benefit whatsoever for sunscreen in preventing basal cell carcinoma, which I had, and, in addition, I was 78 years old. He paused, looked over his shoulder at me and said that, yes, that was correct. Then he said "You're paying for what you did 25 years ago, anyway"... :)

Reactions: NationalTitles18

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Can’t get through the paywall to the article.

Was there any discussion about the dangers of sun exposure vs. the accumulation of sunscreen chemicals? Or whether sunscreen or sunburn present greater overall risks?

Because I can’t read the article, I can’t say whether it falls into my most despised category — the “yeah, but....” without (1) a recommendation and (2) a logical line of reasoning behind the recommendation.

Most often, what passes for journalism today just rings the bell. “Don’t go out in the sun without sunscreen....it causes skin cancer and prematurely aged skin. But don’t wear sunscreen....it builds up in your body.”

Then, when asked whether they’re recommending a cloistered life, birth to grave, you get the slipstream.

So did the author recommend a resolution, or, having warned them against either course of action, leave her readers to their own devices, with a pre-constructed “tolja so” built in?
The purpose of the article was not to compare the relative risk/rewards of sunscreen. It was to show that sunscreen is not a product without its drawbacks and further study is needed. if you google - FDA study looked at six common ingredients in sunscreen, you can look further into it. Here are two:

Here is a bit more from WSJ:
A proposed FDA rule, which was expected to be finalized last November, would have required the industry to complete additional testing of up to a dozen chemicals to make sure sunscreens using them are safe.

But the proposal was shelved in March when President Trump signed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act into law.

The Cares Act overhauled how over-the-counter drugs, including sunscreens, are regulated, and it retained the 1999 sunscreen rule, which says the active ingredients currently on the market are safe and effective.

The FDA cautioned that the results of its recent studies don’t indicate individuals should abandon sunscreens, which have been demonstrated to protect against skin cancer and other harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation.

• Thank You
Reactions: NationalTitles18

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I stopped using sunscreen a few years ago when it was first discovered that many of the chemicals end up in the bloodstream.

Like it or not our bodies have a pretty solid way of dealing with repeated exposure - a tan.

I work out outside for about 2.5 hours each day (endurance training), so I have a KILLER farmer's tan. LOL.

Reactions: 92tide and Bazza

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Stopped using it many years ago as well. I just never felt is was worth the sliminess it created.

I wear a large brimmed straw hat while working outside. I also try not to spend anymore time outside as needed, if that makes any sense. Especially this time of year!

I'm definately getting sun spots on the back of my hands but at 66 years old and so much time spent outside that's to be expected. I see those kinds of spots on many who are just getting up in years, period.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Stopped using it many years ago as well. I just never felt is was worth the sliminess it created.

I wear a large brimmed straw hat while working outside. I also try not to spend anymore time outside as needed, if that makes any sense. Especially this time of year!

I'm definately getting sun spots on the back of my hands but at 66 years old and so much time spent outside that's to be expected. I see those kinds of spots on many who are just getting up in years, period.
I am 53 and I have them in a few places. Went to my dermatologist in December, worried about them, and he said that they are not a danger. I am fair skinned, and bald, so the sun is my nemesis. I still use sunscreen because my only other options are choosing to stay indoors or wearing long sleeves in the summer - neither going to happen.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Well that and most of it kills coral. I stopped using most brands while on an a boat and just started using UPF clothing/rash guards and only coral safe sunscreen when I have to which has a lot less chemicals in it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.