Supreme Court Denies AL Request for Stay Re: Gay Marriage

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
clicky

The court on Monday morning denied the Alabama attorney general's request to extend a hold on a judge's ruling overturning the state's ban on gay marriage. Alabama Attorney General Luther Strange had asked theSupreme Court to keep the decision on hold because justices are expected to issue a nationwide ruling on gay marriage later this year.

U.S. District Judge Callie Granade in January ruled that the Alabama ban was unconstitutional. She put a hold on her order until Monday to give the state time to appeal. Gay couples are lining up at courthouses seeking marriage licenses.

On Sunday night, Chief Justice Roy Moore sent an order to state probate judges ordering them to refuse to issue marriage licenses to gay couples. But the chief clerk for Montgomery County Probate Judge Steven Reed said he plans to issue them.
Interesting quote from the Thomas/Scalia dissent:

"This acquiescence may well be seen as a signal of the court’s intended resolution of that question."

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Re: Supreme Court Denie's AL Request for Stay Re: Gay Marriage

Geez....just let them get married. I don't get why people are so opposed to let people marry the ones they love. Just worry about yourself....I hate Roy Moore.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

So let me ask this. When all these divorces start happening like we all know they eventually will, who is going to have to pay alimony? Who is going to keep the children when children are involved? Just curious.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

So let me ask this. When all these divorces start happening like we all know they eventually will, who is going to have to pay alimony? Who is going to keep the children when children are involved? Just curious.
The wife will keep the kids and the husband will pay alimony of course. ;)

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

The wife will keep the kids and the husband will pay alimony of course. ;)

That's DISCRIMINATION! The Husband should keep the kids, and the Wife should pay the alimony! Haven't we advanced to this point in our civilization, yet?

In a same sex marriage do they declare who is the husband and who is the wife? Just asking. Not familiar with
this situation. Inquiring old minds want to know!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

That's DISCRIMINATION! The Husband should keep the kids, and the Wife should pay the alimony! Haven't we advanced to this point in our civilization, yet?

In a same sex marriage do they declare who is the husband and who is the wife? Just asking. Not familiar with
this situation. Inquiring old minds want to know!
I think they do. I know this because when I was on Facebook I had several HS classmates that were gay and they referred to their partner as "the hubby".

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

I think they do. I know this because when I was on Facebook I had several HS classmates that were gay and they referred to their partner as "the hubby".
Do they determine this based on masculine and feminine features? Or is it a game like kids playing house. This week you are the wife. Next week I'm the wife?

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN

The main reason I support allowing gay marriage is a strong belief in freedom of religion, and a basic recognition that what consenting adults do is their own business.

My secondary reason is that I'd like to see the divorce laws fixed to be more equitable.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

The main reason I support allowing gay marriage is a strong belief in freedom of religion, and a basic recognition that what consenting adults do is their own business.

My secondary reason is that I'd like to see the divorce laws fixed to be more equitable.
"The main reason I support allowing gay marriage is a strong belief in freedom of religion"
What does one have to do with the other?

"A basic recognition that what consenting adults do is their own business".
Agreed, as long as it's in the privacy of their own homes.

"My second reason is that I'd like to see the divorce laws fixed to be more equitable."
Agreed, but again, I don't think gay marriage and divorce laws have anything in common, nor does one have any effect on the other.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I'd like to see the government get out of the marriage business completely. As in do away with preferential tax treatment of any kind for marital status and do away with giving people tax credits for having kids (and I'm about to have my fifth). Put in a consumption tax at the register in lieu of how we collect income tax now and do away with the outdated system.

I may contradict myself a bit on this one but I agree that the divorce laws need to be more equitable. In an event of a divorce I do believe that an outside party (it may not have to be government directly but government initiated) needs to come in and ensure one party isn't left basically laying on the side of the street with just their clothes while the other gets a sweetheart deal.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.