Crime Blotter: Suspect in deaths of Idaho students arrested in Pennsylvania

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Probable Cause Affidavit Unsealed

19 pages

Killer left behind his knife sheath with DNA on it. Also a footprint. One of the surviving occupants was able to provide a partial description of killer.

Also through forensic telephone records....they determined he was at or near the residence 12 times before the murders occurred.

They also determined the suspect's car pretty quickly through a lot of video.

So it looks like it it was a targeted killing.

And those highway stops....on purpose. Investigators wanted some closeup images of his hands....

Some pretty solid police work here.....
I mean, it's like this criminologist PhD moron never saw a single episode of "CSI"......

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I just read the account of one of the surviving roommates. Her story makes absolutely no sense.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think he was only 1 semester in but point well taken.

That said....the number of people with degrees I have known over the years who are dumb as a rock is astounding......
Short version:
I can show you this in every single career field sadly.

Selma version:
Vincent Bugliosi, the late prosecutor who nailed Charles Manson, said in his book "Outrage" (about the OJ trial) that he always assumed his opposing lawyer was going to be incompetent - and observed he was rarely wrong. When he pointed out that people assume lawyers are all a bunch of Clarence Darrow types, he noted that the degree on the wall is nothing more than your entry ticket to the arena - what you do with it is up to you.

Btw - I thought that book was more valuable for its candid observations about life from a lawyer than it was for anything new about OJ; anyone who thinks OJ didn't do it is a Grade A imbecile - as Bugliosi said, "they just played a game at the trial."

Two things stuck with me vividly from that book:

1) he observed that (generally at least in 1995) the most admired occupation is judges and the most despised are lawyers and politicians, which is insane when you remember that almost every judge is both a lawyer AND a politician to a point. A $25 robe miraculously grants powers of character and wisdom to the most despised occupations of society.

2) his assumption of incompetence regarding everyone and everything. He noted that we all START with the assumption everyone is competent and yet the real world shows us that that is 180 degrees wrong. After all, how often does the fast food restaurant give you the wrong order or the hotel not have something you need in the room? How often to people fail at the every day things that take no intellect or talent to actually do? It happens far too often to all of us and BY all of us.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bazza and Go Bama

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Couple more thoughts.....

To those wondering why it took so long for the stabbings to be reported by surviving occupants, I wonder if it's possible that there was some drug use involved at the house, thus reluctance to call law enforcement.

Also, in regards to evidence, all the public knows at this point is what was stated in the affidavit. There could be much more evidence we don't know about. Remember, the affidavit's purpose was to provide just enough information to make the arrest, that's all.

I feel we will see more evidence forthcoming.

Reactions: Con and seebell

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Couple more thoughts.....

To those wondering why it took so long for the stabbings to be reported by surviving occupants, I wonder if it's possible that there was some drug use involved at the house, thus reluctance to call law enforcement.

Also, in regards to evidence, all the public knows at this point is what was stated in the affidavit. There could be much more evidence we don't know about. Remember, the affidavit's purpose was to provide just enough information to make the arrest, that's all.

I feel we will see more evidence forthcoming.
The behaviors of the survivors are puzzling, particularly the one who saw him. Also, if the motive were to see if he could get away with murder (my favorite theory), why did he just brush by her without killing her also on his way out?

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
The behaviors of the survivors are puzzling, particularly the one who saw him. Also, if the motive were to see if he could get away with murder (my favorite theory), why did he just brush by her without killing her also on his way out?
Agreed...but most crimes of which I've read are never fully fool proof -- the press of the moment causes one to make a "fatal" error. I don't get a motive unless he is so imbalanced as to play the "I'm smarter than the police detectives" game.

There are a lot of unanswered questions in this scenario...

Reactions: Go Bama and seebell

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

It's possible he didn't see her - hard to know without more info.

I think this was a targeted killing. Not so much as him trying to get away with a murder but that he targeted one of the girls he had some infatuation with.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Can you post a link?
Pretty sure this is what they are talking about.

Idaho murder victims' surviving roommate heard cry and saw masked man in home, police affidavit says - CBS News

This story
D.M. told police that she "did not see anything" when she looked out of her bedroom for the first time after hearing the voice. When she opened her door a second time, after hearing what she believed was "crying coming from Kernodle's room," D.M. said that she heard a man's voice say "something to the effect of 'it's ok, I'm going to help you,'" according to the affidavit.

D.M. said that she heard crying again later and opened her door for the third time, investigators said in the document. When she looked out, D.M. told police that she "saw a figure clad in black clothing and a mask that covered the person's mouth and nose walking towards her." She described the person as a man, standing at either 5 feet 10 inches or taller, who was "not very muscular, but athletically built with bushy eyebrows."
Doesn't line up with this

A Timeline of the Idaho Student Murders - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

• 11:58 a.m. — A 911 call reports an unconscious person at the scene of the killings, triggering a response from law enforcement
So they heard cries and saw a guy in ski mask walk out of the house at 4am, locked the door, didn't check on anyone, then found the roommates and called 911 at 11:58am.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I mean, if he was trying to get away with it, he overlooked a LOT of things...
The analysis from the affidavit that he returned to the scene of the crime could have been an attempt to retrieve the knife sheath that he left behind.

I saw in the news he also changed his car's title 5 days after the murders.

Then there's the fact his cell phone was turned off - and then back on later after the murders (see video in post #32).

Also this.....

He was trying....

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf and Con

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

I just thought of another possibility.

What if he was after one of the girls and didn't know which bedroom she was in?

He finally finds her, kills her, then leaves because he's accomplished his objective. Unfortunately he murdered two more persons before finding the right bedroom...:(

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I just thought of another possibility.

What if he was after one of the girls and didn't know which bedroom she was in?

He finally finds her, kills her, then leaves because he's accomplished his objective. Unfortunately he murdered two more persons before finding the right bedroom...:(
I think there's a possibility these aren't his first murders. Bundy had to work his way up to terrorizing a whole dorm...

• Thank You
Reactions: Padreruf

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.