Suspected Chinese state hackers target Russian submarine designer

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Hackers suspected to work for the Chinese government have used a new malware called PortDoor to infiltrate the systems of an engineering company that designs submarines for the Russian Navy.

They used a spear-phishing email specifically crafted to lure the general director of the company into opening a malicious document.

The threat actor targeted Rubin Central Design Bureau for Marine Engineering in Saint Petersburg, a defense contractor that designed most of Russia’s nuclear submarines.
Suspected Chinese state hackers target Russian submarine designer

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Interesting in that a spear-fishing attack on the DNC probably elected Donald Trump...
I predict that while the attack on the DNC was publicized and damaged the Democrats, there was an equally, if not more, successful hack of the Republicans. They were given the choice to play ball or face the public consequences. We shall see, hopefully while we may still save our Republic , whether my suspicions are correct.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
For me the interesting angle is the dynamics between the two countries.
Russia sees itself as the senior partner.
The Chinese know better.
Russia needs to lean on the relationship to maintain its relevance in the world, but there are sections of Siberia in which the Russian population is being replaced by Chinese and the Chinese behave worse as imperialists than the western imperialists the CCP likes to gripe about.
Now you are adding this level of CCP-sponsored misbehavior aimed at a Russian government-sponsored defense company.
I sense long-term trouble in the relationship.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I just saw a tweet from the Chinese Embassy in Pakistan in which the Chinese government referred to Vladivostok by its pre-Russian Chinese name (Hǎishēnwǎi*) and spoke of its "return to the Chinese homeland." Oh, my. That ain't gonna sit well in the Kremlin.

* A French ship which is believed to have visited the area around 1858 found several huts belonging to Han or Manchu fishermen. No foreign or Chinese maps show any sizable Chinese settlement there within the decades prior to the founding of Vladivostok.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Its beyond obvious that if you do business with the Chinese they see that as a license to steal your intellectual and proprietary property whether you are an ally or adversary.
I'll go out on a limb here and say if they have to steal it from ya, they probably don't consider you an ally and you should think likewise about them. ;) :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: JDCrimson

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I just saw a tweet from the Chinese Embassy in Pakistan in which the Chinese government referred to Vladivostok by its pre-Russian Chinese name (Hǎishēnwǎi*) and spoke of its "return to the Chinese homeland." Oh, my. That ain't gonna sit well in the Kremlin.

* A French ship which is believed to have visited the area around 1858 found several huts belonging to Han or Manchu fishermen. No foreign or Chinese maps show any sizable Chinese settlement there within the decades prior to the founding of Vladivostok.
maybe Hǎishēnwǎi is an ancient chinese secret

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.