Suspended Alabama freshman Antonio Alfano has ‘disappeared a little bit’

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Hmm...………...that doesn't sound good...………..[/QUOTE

Nothing like a heaping tablespoon of radical clarity. Given the kid’s multiple stops in his dogged pursuit of a high school education, quitting may be his signature move.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
Hmm...………...that doesn't sound good...………..[/QUOTE

Nothing like a heaping tablespoon of radical clarity. Given the kid’s multiple stops in his dogged pursuit of a high school education, quitting may be his signature move.
Yeah, I hate to see stuff like this...…………….hopefully he can get himself on track, whatever he decides to do

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
One thing is certain - if he has not been going to class and has not been keeping up his grades, he is not playing for anyone this year. I hope that he get things figured out so he can find his way onto the field for someone next year, whether it be Alabama or someone else. He has a ton of talent, and it would be a shame to see it wasted.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I think it was William Mack who told us early on that Antonio needed a year to develop before he would contribute. Think about that. The highest-rated recruit we’ve gotten in a while and from the start he was told he was not ready to play. That’s a lot for a teenager to swallow, particularly a teen who is saddled with great expectations and may have been told for the first time in his athletic life that he isn’t good enough and has to work to be better. I empathize.

But his disappearing act smacks of entitlement and immaturity, as does his multiple changes of address in high school. With apologies to Bob Seger, AA has a talent ‘that has let him get away.’ His father acts and sounds like he has very little say in the matter, which is both odd and revealing. Saban sounds as if he is reaching the point of no return. If that’s the case, there is only one way this will go.

Last edited:

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
After all the publicity, we have to think Alfano knows of the scrutiny his decision, whatever it is, will receive.

Bottom line for Alabama fans is that it's highly unlikely he will contribute in Tuscaloosa this year. Future years are even more murky.

The next 50-60 years of Alfano's life....we'll see. For all involved, I hope he turns it around.

But that will take an approach to life that his first 18-19 years have not indicated.

Ball's in your court, Antonio.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
One thing is certain - if he has not been going to class and has not been keeping up his grades, he is not playing for anyone this year. I hope that he get things figured out so he can find his way onto the field for someone next year, whether it be Alabama or someone else. He has a ton of talent, and it would be a shame to see it wasted.
The missing class part is something some of us tried to allude to last week. I was told last week it had been three weeks, which mean he can’t pass any of the classes he’s taking this semester. Thus, he’d be academically ineligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He could probably get some kind of academic hardship concessions from the school due to the family and otherwise emotional problems but I don't know if that means much with the NCAA.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He could probably get some kind of academic hardship concessions from the school due to the family and otherwise emotional problems but I don't know if that means much with the NCAA.
Possibly... if the family reason is the sole reason.

I’m not sure Saban would make such a brash statement if this was only because of the way Alfano was handling the passing of his grandmother.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Possibly... if the family reason is the sole reason.

I’m not sure Saban would make such a brash statement if this was only because of the way Alfano was handling the passing of his grandmother.

Yes. The problems started before his grandmother's. Class and practice attendance is unfortunately mandatory...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Where is Jonathan Allen when you need him. Point being that when the NFL plucks away your senior leaders, you lose the role models these freshmen need.

Davis just doesn’t seem to possess that quality. Not seeing it in Jennings and Lewis either. They are veterans. But don’t seem to have the ability to lead.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Where is Jonathan Allen when you need him. Point being that when the NFL plucks away your senior leaders, you lose the role models these freshmen need.

Davis just doesn’t seem to possess that quality. Not seeing it in Jennings and Lewis either. They are veterans. But don’t seem to have the ability to lead.
I think Moses was gonna be that guy this year. Losing him was catastrophic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
It reflects well on the young man that he is so attached to his grandma ... to a certain extent. Dealing with family crises and potentially bereavement is all part of growing up. At a certain age, you become a helper, not the helped. Saban stated it in harsher terms that perhaps I would have done, but none of us could walk into the office and say we're quitting, a family member is sick.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The missing class part is something some of us tried to allude to last week. I was told last week it had been three weeks, which mean he can’t pass any of the classes he’s taking this semester. Thus, he’d be academically ineligible.

IIRC, unless things have changed since I was in school (probably has), it takes more than one Quarter/Semester to get Academically Ineligible (not talking about playing time). That rule was in place (at that time) to allow for Freshmen to adjust to campus life.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
So i get crushed the other day about being harsh when I said he should go because of the mistakes he has made and made them worse. It appears from earlier posters that it is more than grandmothers illness. Hopefully he figures it out. From listening to Coach Saban, I think the ship has sailed. rtr

Cruloc

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2019

This is indeed the biggest issue for that D. Who are the leaders? McKinney? The O is solid, leadership is set...the OL will improve, especially when Brown gets back. But that D, where is the leadership?

Now, this last game....lots of Freshmen....lots of plays, 86....lots of heat. I do think this D improves, hopefully the tackling comes along quickly....but that leadership conundrum....how will that be solved?

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
We can start a new thread on NS about your feelings? LOL...Kidding...

So i get crushed the other day about being harsh when I said he should go because of the mistakes he has made and made them worse. It appears from earlier posters that it is more than grandmothers illness. Hopefully he figures it out. From listening to Coach Saban, I think the ship has sailed. rtr

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.