Tanking for Tua??? The Dolphins ain’t alone!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
One thing that we do know is that defenses have game planned for him a lot better due to new film on him. Defenses for that matter have game planned better for mahommes as well.
Defensive game plans look a lot better when Tyreek Hill is not in the line-up.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
He doesn’t look as comfortable as he did last year with some of the formations that he is getting early on. Sure he is putting up good stats, but you have to wonder how he will do when he has to play better teams with a year and some change of tape if he is starting to show signs of discomfort against lesser teams.
Perhaps. But the root of your original assertion that teams are better prepared for him isn't really born out in his performance thus far. Making it, for the time being, false.
The season is long. You could very well end up being right about that in the long run. But to date, he's had an excellent season and defenses have not contained him hardly at all. His averages so far - even with a mediocre game, are better than his 2018 averages in most categories. I say it's worth reevaluating at the half season marker.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I have watched his games this year because I love Mahomes (not a KC fan). While his stats are still pretty impressive, defenses are making him work a lot harder to get them. They now know his tendencies and are taking away a lot of his primary reads. But the harsh reality is that he is awesome, and you can only do so much.
That's basically my point, though.
Defenses have adjusted to Mahomes in order to get dunked on in a different way. It hasn't really mattered, YET. He has the arm talent to put it anywhere on the field to any receiver he's given. And right now, Sammy Watkins is doing just fine in Hill's place and Kelce is doing what Kelce usually does. He works a little bit harder to do exactly what he did to defenses last year - score tds, cput up yards, and win games.

But like I said to 81' it's too small a sample size. The season is long. But, so far, nothing has effectively changed.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
I have to agree that the Gold, Silver, and Bronze go to the Phins, Bengals, and the Broncos. I’m sensing a narrative of “suck” out of Denver that has my antenna up. Maybe John isn’t as brain dead a GM as I was beginning to think. Tua could destroy it in Denver. I’m not as down on the Phins as everyone else. I’m thinking they could possibly swing a turnaround with the right picks. The Bengals would not be the worst either. I’m thinking that I want the Bama boys out of DC too. The term dumpster fire and Dan Snyder seem to be synonymous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
Might want to add Redskins to the list. I know we have Haskins but my gut is telling me we may have a Rosen situation on out hands(not Haskins fault more the teams)
Actually thought I did. I noticed that I had it typed up on my notes and didn’t include it in the cut. I think they’ll give DW a shot but with getting to take him so late the expense would be NOTHING if they could draft Tua. He’d disappear faster than a fart in a fan factory [emoji555]:)

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
It'd be pretty cool if the Dolphins ended up with both Tua and Jeudy.
It actually could happen. As bad as some teams need a WR the thread clearly shows just how many need a QB. With Tua, Hebert, Fromm, and yes even Burrow and Jalen the way he’s playing QBs will be flying out. Jeudy is sooooo good though I could just as easily see them go 1-2 or a team pulling an Atlanta type trade to go get him like Julio. It’s one draft I’m really excited about!!!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It actually could happen. As bad as some teams need a WR the thread clearly shows just how many need a QB. With Tua, Hebert, Fromm, and yes even Burrow and Jalen the way he’s playing QBs will be flying out. Jeudy is sooooo good though I could just as easily see them go 1-2 or a team pulling an Atlanta type trade to go get him like Julio. It’s one draft I’m really excited about!!!

Julio was so good he stuck out. Now, they're all so good, it's hard for anyone to stick out consistently. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team trade up for any one of them...

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Lamar is horrible against any defense worth a damn. The only reason the Ravens made the playoffs last year was because they were backloaded with scrubs and the Steelers had major internal conflicts. Had Flacco been the qb for the final 7, the result is most likely the same. Flacco is a far more polished qb, and far more dangerous on a good team. The Falcons are justified with their complaints about Ryan, but the Ravens were not on Flacco.

Lamar is a poor man’s RGIII and will probably suffer the same fate.
Sounds like you lost some money betting on the Ravens ;).

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Sounds like you lost some money betting on the Ravens ;).
Just like I lost money betting against the Giants. ;)

Seriously there are 3 qbs that defy logic in the playoffs and I refuse to pick against them even if I’m pretty sure that they are going to lose . Eli, Flacco, and Foles.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Patrick Mahomes is the player I was most wrong about coming out of college than any other player by far. I thought for sure he was just another Air Raid, Texas Tech system QB that would never have any success in the NFL. Now, I'm even more convinced that Kingsbury is more adept at failing upward than Lane Kiffin was.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Patrick Mahomes is the player I was most wrong about coming out of college than any other player by far. I thought for sure he was just another Air Raid, Texas Tech system QB that would never have any success in the NFL. Now, I'm even more convinced that Kingsbury is more adept at failing upward than Lane Kiffin was.
Agree with Mahomes, I was totally wrong about him. Just waiting to see if Kyler Murray is the next was wrong about.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Same here I was dead wrong about Mahomes. Now if only someone would teach that guy how a steak is done.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
Mahomes made me realize that these NFL combine metrics that some poopoo can indeed identify NFL talent based on sheer physical talents the players possess or don’t. PM had the arm talent all day long. The CB from UCONN that long jumped out of the stadium is a starter in Dallas. I know it’s not the only measurement but it can’t be ignored either.

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
Playing for Andy Reid will do that for a qb. Mahomes is a BASEBALL player playing the qb position. Excellent athlete no doubt but playing in Reid’s system has done wonders for his game imo

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
After 5 weeks I can guarantee you that some organizations are truly considering the idea of having the real possibility of being able to draft Tua. There are now SEVEN winless teams. While I don’t think the Arizona Cardinals will be aiming for a QB after drafting Kyler I can absolutely see all of the others drafting him. The teams all need a franchise QB.

Most Likely:

Miami Dolphins
-enough said
-they clearly are emptying the cupboard in hopes of Tua and I can’t blame them.

Denver Broncos
-personally I think Elway is the biggest problem with that franchise
-they look awful on offense. Beyond awful and Joe Flacco ain’t the answer and they spent nothing in taking a flyer on Drew Locke.

Chances Increasing:

Cincinnati Bengals
-Red Ryder is done and they need someone who can give that floundering franchise a breath of life and put butts back in the Jungle’s seats.

Less Likely:

New York Jets
-is Sam Darnold the future? (probably but just because the Jets have been so inept as a franchise for years)
-that said the new regime seems to have some brains and with Rookie contracts being sooooo cheap compared with the superstars I could see them putting Tua and Sam next to one another and having a really easy choice to make

Black Horse:

Atlanta Falcons
-could you imagine Tua with that WR corps his first year? He’d go hog wild [emoji12]
-Matty Ice looks more like Natty Lite these last two years. He’s just a statue in the pocket.
-that enormously STUPID contract though will likely tie the hands of a franchise that I guarantee you would like to move on from the most OVERRATED QB in quite some time.
-if they continue to suck as badly as they have been they may not have a choice.

Pittsburgh Steelers
-To me it looks like the expiration date on Big Ben has come and gone.
-he has a tough injury to come back from and even if he does there are a LOT of rings on the tree stump already
-with Tua the future is now
-as has been pointed out below though they’d have to find a trade partner to get back in the first round.
DOLPHINS:
"they clearly are emptying the cupboard in hopes of Tua and I can’t blame them."
THE CUPBOARD IS BEAR AND ANY QB THAT GOES THERE WOULD BE LIKE SENDING A LAMB TO THE SLAUGHTER...

JETS:
"is Sam Darnold the future? (probably but just because the Jets have been so inept as a franchise for years)"
This ownership is as bad as the Falcons!

STEELERS:
"To me it looks like the expiration date on Big Ben has come and gone."
Personally speaking, I think it's been gone for a few years...

BRONCOS:
"personally I think Elway is the biggest problem with that franchise"
That's 'cause he really doesn't want another QB to come along and break his Team Records...

FALCONS:
"that enormously STUPID contract though will likely tie the hands of a franchise that I guarantee you would like to move on from the most OVERRATED QB in quite some time."
To bad Blank acted so stupid with Ryans Contract...Tua would be a GREAT FIT in HOTLANTA...!

BENGALS:
"Red Ryder is done and they need someone who can give that floundering franchise a breath of life and put butts back in the Jungle’s seats."
One Question - Why did they let AJ get away...?

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
DOLPHINS:
"they clearly are emptying the cupboard in hopes of Tua and I can’t blame them."
THE CUPBOARD IS BEAR AND ANY QB THAT GOES THERE WOULD BE LIKE SENDING A LAMB TO THE SLAUGHTER...

JETS:
"is Sam Darnold the future? (probably but just because the Jets have been so inept as a franchise for years)"
This ownership is as bad as the Falcons!

STEELERS:
"To me it looks like the expiration date on Big Ben has come and gone."
Personally speaking, I think it's been gone for a few years...

BRONCOS:
"personally I think Elway is the biggest problem with that franchise"
That's 'cause he really doesn't want another QB to come along and break his Team Records...

FALCONS:
"that enormously STUPID contract though will likely tie the hands of a franchise that I guarantee you would like to move on from the most OVERRATED QB in quite some time."
To bad Blank acted so stupid with Ryans Contract...Tua would be a GREAT FIT in HOTLANTA...!

BENGALS:
"Red Ryder is done and they need someone who can give that floundering franchise a breath of life and put butts back in the Jungle’s seats."
One Question - Why did they let AJ get away...?
We Falcons fans are stuck with Ryan. We will most likely end up drafting either someone that I have to use google to find out who he is, or yet another offensive skill player ("for Ryan").

My second favorite NFL team is the Chiefs. I would love for one of the big 3 receivers to go there. Just imagine the numbers they could put up.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.