Tanking for Tua??? The Dolphins ain’t alone!

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Unless Tua has a major setback during recovery I don’t see him making it past 20 or 15 for that matter. I have 10 teams that will need a QB desperately in this draft in the top 20 picks alone. I’d put my money on one of the teams that has multiple picks in the 1st round to be likely to grab him with their second pick. I’m with the line of thought that this is a blessing in disguise in that he will likely go to a better situation for him.

Oakland at 14-16 is interesting but he might be gone before then.

I also think these franchises with older QBs are going to have to decide sooner rather than later to prepare for life after their current QB. I put The Steelers, Chargers, and Patriots in that camp.

When you look at ALL the current playoff teams they literally ALL have their QB of the future for many years left except the Patriots. It is amazing how QB driven the league is.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
This could also be a record setting haul for Bama in the 1st round. I’ve seen a lot of mock drafts that have as many as 8 Bama players going in Rd. 1. The record of 6 by Miami in 2004 (man that seems so long ago considering how bad they are nowadays) is going to be challenged by Bama this year for sure.

Locks for Rd. 1 by most “experts”
Tua
Jeudy
Ruggs
McKinney
Diggs
Moses

Strong possibility
Leatherwood
Will
R. Davis

Sneaky one
D. Smith

Unreal when you think about it :)

BamaFanatJSU

1st Team
Apr 24, 2008
Rainbow City, AL
This could also be a record setting haul for Bama in the 1st round. I’ve seen a lot of mock drafts that have as many as 8 Bama players going in Rd. 1. The record of 6 by Miami in 2004 (man that seems so long ago considering how bad they are nowadays) is going to be challenged by Bama this year for sure.

Tua
Jeudy
Ruggs
McKinney
Diggs
Moses

Strong possibility
Leatherwood
Will
R. Davis

Sneaky one
D. Smith

While I agree that it's indeed crazy, these mocks always seem to have a ton of Bama guys in there, only to have the combine come and go, and the 1st Round of the draft see half a dozen guys come off the board that nobody's ever heard of. A lot of the Bama guys then seem to fall into the 2nd Round and sometimes later. It makes very little sense to me.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think Jeudy, Ruggs and Diggs are the only true locks

But I’ve seen mocks with:
McKinney
Davis
Leatherwood
Wills
Najee
Moses
and Tua

All in the first round.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Tua
Jeudy
Ruggs
McKinney
Diggs
Moses

Strong possibility
Leatherwood
Will
R. Davis

Sneaky one
D. Smith

Tua and Jeudy are locks. None of the rest are locks anymore.
Smith - definite possibility. No idea why he is not a Biletnikoff finalist.
Ruggs - maybe, but he has had a very average season this year. Tough when you have 4 great receivers and only one football.
Moses was before the season started, but only a weak ILB class still has him with a shot at a late 1st round pick.
McKinney and Diggs are both talented, but Alabama's secondary performance against LSU has a lot of teams looking elsewhere.
Wills is your best OT - not sure where he ranks against others in the country, but he is not an Outland finalist so doubtful.
Leatherwood has been solid but not had a 1st round year.
Davis - he would only make it if he has a GREAT combine because he has underwhelmed everyone on the field again this season.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
Tua and Jeudy are locks. None of the rest are locks anymore.
Smith - definite possibility. No idea why he is not a Biletnikoff finalist.
Ruggs - maybe, but he has had a very average season this year. Tough when you have 4 great receivers and only one football.
Moses was before the season started, but only a weak ILB class still has him with a shot at a late 1st round pick.
McKinney and Diggs are both talented, but Alabama's secondary performance against LSU has a lot of teams looking elsewhere.
Wills is your best OT - not sure where he ranks against others in the country, but he is not an Outland finalist so doubtful.
Leatherwood has been solid but not had a 1st round year.
Davis - he would only make it if he has a GREAT combine because he has underwhelmed everyone on the field again this season.
I agree with both those posts. And I forgot about Najee [emoji2361]

McKinney and Najee are both NFL gems because they can do both things defenses and offenses do respectively in today’s NFL.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I agree with both those posts. And I forgot about Najee [emoji2361]

McKinney and Najee are both NFL gems because they can do both things defenses and offenses do respectively in today’s NFL.
Najee has helped his draft status by becoming a back who is tough, a back who is fast, a back who can block,
and a back who is a good receiver.
That's a resume enhancer if I ever saw one.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Najee has helped his draft status by becoming a back who is tough, a back who is fast, a back who can block,
and a back who is a good receiver.
That's a resume enhancer if I ever saw one.
The dude looks like an NFL RB.....I think someone is going to be happy happy happy that they draft him.....

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017

Tua
Jeudy
Ruggs
McKinney
Diggs
Moses

Strong possibility
Leatherwood
Will
R. Davis

Sneaky one
D. Smith

From my perspective only Jeudy is a near lock and he needs to show a little more grit in the next two (hopefully three) games. Everyone else needs to be more consistent or has major question marks surrounding their health.

I really think these players need to be able to get an evaluation from the combine before making a final decision on whether to enter the draft. Guess that's just too many players for the NFl to screen so I get why that isn't practical. I suspect that we'll have another crop of disappointed players after the first day of the draft.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
From my perspective only Jeudy is a near lock and he needs to show a little more grit in the next two (hopefully three) games. Everyone else needs to be more consistent or has major question marks surrounding their health.

I really think these players need to be able to get an evaluation from the combine before making a final decision on whether to enter the draft. Guess that's just too many players for the NFl to screen so I get why that isn't practical. I suspect that we'll have another crop of disappointed players after the first day of the draft.
They do get a grade. In fact, they get evaluations from multiple sources. Many ignore them...

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
Interesting to see the comments and how they ended up. With the draft now only 3 weeks away and Tua healthy I'd say he's a Top 5 lock. Do the Fins still have eyes for Tua or are the drifting towards another? There is some serious smoke that the new coach does favor other QBs over Tua. It will be interesting for sure.

What do you think happens now?

Also, It seems as though we have several locks for the 1st Round:
1) Tua
2) JJ
3) Ruggs
4) Wills

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.