Targeting Call on Ohio States Shaun Wade

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I've already shared if the ruling on the field was catch/fumble this should not have been overturned in replay because it's not obvious either way. That's been a pretty consistent opinion from the officials I talked with. The play itself absent replay is where the split it. My personal opinion is incomplete because in real time the ball comes out almost immediately. When in doubt the rule book says incomplete. But it's close so that's where those who say catch are not wrong either.

If the official ruled it was you close to call so he's just letting it play out for replay to re-officiate it then replay will look at it differently. They aren't looking to support the call. They are officiating the play as if there was no decision. I've heard mixed things from those who work replay if that's possible here so I have no idea if that happened. If it did though it would be an explanation for the decision. Bill LeMonnier was the rules expert on the broadcast and his explanation seemed to go with that.

Another official said the on field official was wrong for ruling catch/fumble, replay was wrong for overturning that close of a call, but the result is probably the right call. In his opinion he would give both officials a downgrade but agree with the ultimate result.

Good luck to the Tide today against Michigan!
You are basing things on conjecture. You have NO IDEA why the on field official ruled as he did. That is pure speculation on your part.

As I watched it, the side judge never flinched. He saw it as a fumble immediately. The receiver was in possession for several steps and actually moved the ball away from the defender “swatting” at the ball. If this isn’t a “football move” then your boy Lemonier has no earthly idea what one is and needs to officiate Pop Warner, not offer “expert opinion”.

Fact: it was ruled a catch/fumble.

Fact: there was no evidence the ruling on the field was an “egregious error”.
———

SECTION 7. Reversing an On-Field Ruling
Criterion for Reversal
ARTICLE 1. To reverse an on-field ruling, the replay official must be convinced beyond all doubt by indisputable video evidence through one or more video replays provided ....

——
Note this says “all doubt”. Not a even the lower threshold of “reasonable doubt”.

Fact: “Indisputable video evidence” and “all doubt “ says enough. The replay official overstepped his responsibilities.

Fact: No where in the rule book does it say the on field official should “step out” of making a call so the replay official can “re-officiate” the play. This is horse biscuits.

The game is played under the assumption that the replay official should never be needed. The assumption is that the call or non call by the on field official is correct.

FairlyAmazing

Scout Team
Mar 17, 2019
The officials are trained to let such a play like this continue to it's completion.

This training assures that a fumble cannot be blown dead,,,,,,,,,,then, nothing can be done to correct the mistake.

Now as I've already stated, I thought it was a catch too.

But that is the reason why the official on the play tossed the beanbag and let it play out.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The officials are trained to let such a play like this continue to it's completion.

This training assures that a fumble cannot be blown dead,,,,,,,,,,then, nothing can be done to correct the mistake.

Now as I've already stated, I thought it was a catch too.

But that is the reason why the official on the play tossed the beanbag and let it play out.
Even when they toss the bean bag, they can rule it to be an incompletion after discussion. They did not do so. They ruled it to be a catch after discussion.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Even when they toss the bean bag, they can rule it to be an incompletion after discussion. They did not do so. They ruled it to be a catch after discussion.
Correct. This is exactly my point. The call or non call by the official(s) on the field is assumed to be correct. If there is any question, the crew ON THE FIELD can discuss, and correct the call. Same way when a penalty is called or not called -pick up a flag on a penalty call or call it after the fact (ie: intentional grounding, etc.). They didn't make the change after discussion.

That is the reason (wait for it) "by rule" the call had to stand.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
To me , this is the correct way to handle this. Let it play out so a review could go either way. Even if you rule incomplete.

Reactions: B1GTide

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
To me , this is the correct way to handle this. Let it play out so a review could go either way. Even if you rule incomplete.
As a fan how would you feel if the covering official felt it was incomplete but close enough to let it play out (needs to drop bean bag in case there is a foul and they need that as an enforcement spot) to see what happens if replay determines it to be a catch? In this case you would the same action but the official who dropped the bean bag then reporting to the R he had it incomplete so that becomes the call on the field before going to replay.

Reactions: FairlyAmazing

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
As a fan how would you feel if the covering official felt it was incomplete but close enough to let it play out (needs to drop bean bag in case there is a foul and they need that as an enforcement spot) to see what happens if replay determines it to be a catch? In this case you would the same action but the official who dropped the bean bag then reporting to the R he had it incomplete so that becomes the call on the field before going to replay.
I I like that. Call it like you see it, but let it play out in case you are wrong. How many times have we seen a Possible turnover nulled because there wasn’t a clear and immediate recovery and the ref blew the whistle because he thought the runner was down.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.