Targeting: Explain how the hit on Smith was not

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
As a start....how about a You Tube channel dedicated entirely to rules and penalties of the previous games with full explanations by the official themselves given on any call or non-call that comes up as controversial.

This is something every conference commissioner should insist on.

BTW.....anyone ever look at who the 13 members are on the actual rules committee?

Not one representing the SEC......

http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=FBRULES
personally I think whining on YouTube is not constructive. Too many opposing fans have YouTube have channels dedicated to “Bama privilege” in terms of SEC officiating. So unless you want to see constant posts about that then you aren’t welcoming constructive debate.

Reactions: Bazza

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Well I finally saw the play in question. Yeah no idea how that wasn’t targeting or how it wasn’t overturned. On top of the dude who actually hit Smith, there was another Tenn defender who came flying in headfirst at Smith. Only reason he didn’t spear him is because smith fell to the ground before he could get there. Smh.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
S
personally I think whining on YouTube is not constructive. Too many opposing fans have YouTube have channels dedicated to “Bama privilege” in terms of SEC officiating. So unless you want to see constant posts about that then you aren’t welcoming constructive debate.
Speaking of, i’d love to see what that LSUdad guy is whining about this season. Has he turned on Orgeron yet?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So, he quit on his team before they had one of the best seasons in the history of the sport? Sounds about right. :ROFLMAO:
No way that is hilarious haha. Who just quits being a fan over on field performance! Dude started out kinda funny but was had a full public meltdown there at the end. 🤣
Let’s just say He got banned from 2 Twitter accounts and his YouTube for encouraging violence against a particular demographic. More or less he lost his damn mind.

• Wow
Reactions: B1GTide

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
The YT channel would be strictly for the officials to explain their decisions.

The comments section could be turned off.

If fans want to debate they can do it on their own forums (like this one) and at least there would be some kind of review process posted by the officials to use as a reference.

Armyvet

Oct 11, 2020
To start, I'll say I am in no way in favor of ejecting a player for a single hit. That being said, if there is a rule, it should be enforced evenly, and Bama has already had one player ejected. So I cannot understand how there be any interpretation of the hit on Smith that doesn't constitute targeting. Just to lay it out, I'm going to show the rule and how I read it:

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player
ARTICLE 4. No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Note 1: "Targeting" means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:

• Launch-a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet
Note 2: Defenseless player (Rule 2-27-14). When in question, a player is defenseless. Examples of defenseless players include but are not limited to:

• A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.
  • A receiver attempting to catch a forward pass or in position to receive a backward pass, or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
  • A kicker in the act of or just after kicking a ball, or during the kick or the return.
  • A kick returner attempting to catch or recover a kick, or one who has completed a catch or recovery and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier.
  • A player on the ground.
  • A player obviously out of the play.
  • A player who receives a blind-side block.
  • A ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped.
  • A quarterback any time after a change of possession A ball carrier who has obviously given himself up and is sliding feetfirst.

I bolded the 3 conditions that I believe were met that would define the hit as targeting. You could argue about the first condition, but the video clearly showed him leading with the helmet, and he lowered his head and made impact helmet to helmet.

I also noted the rule about defenseless. I thought they had made some determination that he wasn't defenseless or that there was something because he initially bobbled the catch that gave the defensive player a pass. But the rule doesn't say anything about how long the catch takes. Instead, it explicitly states "has not had time to protect himself". From the video, I don't know how anyone could argue he was doing anything other than focusing on the ball and was completely unable to protect himself.

The good news is that he wasn't hurt, and it didn't matter this time. But I am really interested in the garbage explanation that will be spun out by the league to explain this, if they address it at all.
The refs blew the call pure and simple

Reactions: The Ols

BigPoppa52

3rd Team
Oct 25, 2020
I could see a slight argument for the no targeting call in our game, but the no call in the auburn/ole miss game is inexcusable.
At the very least, they should have stopped play for a review JUST FOR OPTICS SAKE. Chris Doerring showed it on SEC This Morning (or whatever its called) and it clearly showed #8's pinky move. Doerring then asked the other guy to hold up his hand and independently move his pinky in that direction. Obviously couldn't do it.

But to be clear, it was a terrible moment for the replay crew, and they should be fined or fired. As someone else here said, that's 3 wins now AU has thanks to the refs and for no other discernible reason. BAH!

Titans&Tide

1st Team
Jul 22, 2000
Tuscaloosa, AL USA
www.kornegay.us
Well I finally saw the play in question. Yeah no idea how that wasn’t targeting or how it wasn’t overturned. On top of the dude who actually hit Smith, there was another Tenn defender who came flying in headfirst at Smith. Only reason he didn’t spear him is because smith fell to the ground before he could get there. Smh.
I saw that too, but I thought he still went for forcible contact to the head and neck. Ergo, I thought there should have been two targeting fouls on that tackle, given what the rule defines. The fact that it was overturned led to a string of very bad words reverberating around my house. I think I scared the dog.

I believe the hit was intentional and malicious. They already had Waddle out of the game and were trying to put Smith out too. Plain and simple to me. It's UT and they play dirty regardless of who their coach is. It isn't a coincidence that we lose a player or two every year in that game.

Reactions: GboyBama

UAinAthens

Scout Team
Jul 5, 2001
gmail.com
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks is garbage. I would love a site that explained the calls and reason. What I don't want is some BS whitewash of every mistake. Last year or the year before, the SEC office came out and said they didn't like the criticism of officials and they were going to be more transparent. The problem I've had from the get go is that we know officials are going to make mistakes, and in some cases, those mistakes can't be fixed. In some cases, those mistakes are going to cost teams a game (AU, Ark). No one is going to be happy about their team being affected. But, with all the video replay avenues that we have available today, the screw up is going to be out there, and we're all going to see it. They will gain a ton more credibility if they will own the mistakes and explain when the rules just worked out bad. When you lie to the fans, which they have done, we aren't fooled and then we don't believe you anymore.

Example: the phantom unsportsmanlike penalty the Beliema drew for Ark against Bama by faking being pushed. Everyone knew the ref blew it. And then the SEC offered some garbage about a previous thing that happened was the reason for the call and it wasn't the fake. Everyone knew they were full of crap and covering themselves. Complete loss of credibility. You want me to believe you, start by being honest.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Guys, just relax and remember that if Gus were 0-5 right now they may fire him and bring someone better in to take his place. I think it would be great for them to be winless, but it really works out for us in the long run.

• Haha

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Guys, just relax and remember that if Gus were 0-5 right now they may fire him and bring someone better in to take his place. I think it would be great for them to be winless, but it really works out for us in the long run.
I'd rather he hang around long enough for someone else to hire the good reverend Hugh Freeze...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.