News Article: Task Force To Big-Money Boosters: NIL Sanctions Could Be Coming

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
There was never ANYTHING resembling consistency with those goofs. In 1992, they sanctioned THE ENTIRE UNIVERSITY OF TULSA athletic programs across the board for violations that occurred on the track team. They stripped the women's golf team of a national championship won four years earlier and banned them from post-season competition for a year...yes, you're reading it correctly: they punished the women's golf team for violations committed by the track and field teams. Oh - and the track and field teams got NO ADDITIONAL sanctions while their basketball team was immediately ineligible for the tournament for one year.
I mean, I can kinda understand the logic here - you hit the AD hard so that these 'oversights' don't occur again at any point in the program. Not a great solution, but I can at least understand the reasoning.

What's always annoyed me is the obvious bias from school to school.

Reactions: selmaborntidefan

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I mean, I can kinda understand the logic here - you hit the AD hard so that these 'oversights' don't occur again at any point in the program. Not a great solution, but I can at least understand the reasoning.

What's always annoyed me is the obvious bias from school to school.
Well that's a related issue, too.

But here's the thing: Tulsa's track team isn't a money maker for the school of any kind. Miami's FOOTBALL team was, they had the old "lack of institutional control" add-on and yeah, they lost a bunch of money...but they didn't go sanction Miami's BASKETBALL team for what the football team did.

Tulsa - one sport causing the problem, ALL sports sanctioned
Miami - three sports (football, baseball, tennis) in a widespread corruption from top to bottom...and only those sports got sanctioned. And while yes you can argue "but football was the cash cow," it doesn't change the fact that stripping a women's golf team of a national title when the golf team did nothing is next-level insane.

I'm sure if I wanted to go through the years, I could find more of this kind of insanity.

On a humorous note...when he was in college, William "The Refrigerator" Perry was on a Clemson team that got hit with sanctions, one of which was a two-year TV ban. Asked about it, Perry (he actually said this) mused, "The toughest part is that we can't watch TV for two years."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Yes, THIS is what I feared would be the inevitable outcome even though I hope somehow some way they figure out a way to avoid this.

On the other hand......

Texas has more money than anybody. Just ask them, they'll tell you. And YES, folks, they've been paying under the table stuff just like every school has for years. With scholarship limitations at least there was the way to offset some of it along with "now don't be paying them players." But now? The old JFK line about Rice playing Texas takes on a new meaning.

then again - it's Texas, they've always had that big money...and save for a few years around the time of Vince Young and Colt McCoy, Texas hasn't really been all that great since they integrated the team after their 1969 national championship. You'd think the school that could buy every player they wanted could break that 47-game OU winning streak.

But it's Texas.They can waste more millions than the other states combined. And this Twitter post hits it right on - it's all about me bragging "I whupped you in football!"

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I heard a proposal to do away with yearly scholarship limitations. I know transfer portal and NIL combined have put some teams in a bind, but that’s not the answer. I mean , what would keep a team from basically buying a new roster? College football seems to be going down a similar , albeit different , path as CBB.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
On a humorous note...when he was in college, William "The Refrigerator" Perry was on a Clemson team that got hit with sanctions, one of which was a two-year TV ban. Asked about it, Perry (he actually said this) mused, "The toughest part is that we can't watch TV for two years."
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.