Poll: Television Games without commentator yes or no

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For those of you who over the past 5-10 years have criticized Gary Danielson; I feel the exact same way about Herbstreit. He cannot go 5 minutes without using the phrase "he is playing with a chip on his shoulder". I quit watching Gameday about 5 years ago partly because of his endless ramblings and some other things, mainly Chris Fowler, who is not quite as bad, but I had rather listen to the CBS and ESPN crews (with the exception of Mowins and Griffin, III).
I like his team analysis as it is about as good as the industry has to offer. But his color commentary drives me as nuts as that from GMac. IMO, it all changed when he developed a close relationship with karen.

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
I am 90-95 % deaf in my left ear and my right ear is good but i have a hard time understanding what the commentators say because of crowd noise. i have good closed caption on my tv but you can read or watch the game. it's frustrating but i still count my blessings... i have a good ear and my Tide. just wish they could mute the crowd noise some.
one thing you might want to do is get a sound bar or audio receiver / speakers where you can increase the midrange sound. My A/V receiver has a bunch of options that I can control with the remote or phone app to optimize sound for movies, sports, music, TV shows, etc. This might really help if you're interested in actually hearing the announcers :D

Other alternative is to listen to Eli & Company for the sound (I typically have audio playing on my computer and use earphones/headphones b/c my wife doesn't like delaying the live broadcast the 30-60 seconds it takes for them to be in sync :D

Bamachamps

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 14, 2017
You can watch the skycam on the bigger espn games. It just has the skycam and the stadium noise. That’s it. It’s interesting.
Yes, I love Sky Cam. Makes you feel like you playing in game. Also you make your own opinion and don’t listen to announcers. Sky Cam is great!

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
There are maybe 3, maybe 4, broadcast teams out there that are any good, the rest are bad to downright horrendous. A big problem is that ESPN has way overpaid for the rights to broadcast these games and now they're having to cut costs to get as much ROI as they can. The production quality of most of their secondary games are not good at all and where it is most obvious is the low quality broadcast teams they send to those games. That is one of the reason why I hardly watch any of the secondary games any more. In addition the in-studio talent has also declined over the years. They seemingly are trying to make up for it by having more people which makes it even worse. I'm always puzzled at why they think having 4 people all trying to comment and out-talk each other is a good thing. Most of those guys are buffoons that add very little value to the broadcast. I'm afraid as ABC/Disney takes over more and more sporting events, this will get worse and worse.

Reactions: Lifer

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
For those of you who over the past 5-10 years have criticized Gary Danielson; I feel the exact same way about Herbstreit. He cannot go 5 minutes without using the phrase "he is playing with a chip on his shoulder". I quit watching Gameday about 5 years ago partly because of his endless ramblings and some other things, mainly Chris Fowler, who is not quite as bad, but I had rather listen to the CBS and ESPN crews (with the exception of Mowins and Griffin, III).
Herbie talks way to much. Drives me bananas. Detracts from the game IMO. I prefer Blackledge.

Rolltide51

1st Team
Nov 24, 2019
one thing you might want to do is get a sound bar or audio receiver / speakers where you can increase the midrange sound. My A/V receiver has a bunch of options that I can control with the remote or phone app to optimize sound for movies, sports, music, TV shows, etc. This might really help if you're interested in actually hearing the announcers :D

Other alternative is to listen to Eli & Company for the sound (I typically have audio playing on my computer and use earphones/headphones b/c my wife doesn't like delaying the live broadcast the 30-60 seconds it takes for them to be in sync :D
TE]

Thank you... i am going to check out both the sound bar and audio receiver. it's interesting, i am watching new england and jacksonville today and i can hear the announcers much better than a college game

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama

That usually works for me. Don't mind the tv being behind a bit. But I couldn't get ESPN radio on my receiver for the Cincy game. First time that ever happened. Still can't get it. May have pushed a wrong button somewhere. All I get is a loud white noise.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
The no announcer games over the years at different times were fine with me. But I don’t care for the games where the network manipulates the crowd noise, as though to remind or prompt the viewer that the game is at an exciting point. Or recorded crowd noise for near empty stadiums, most of 2020. It’s like a laugh track (which I detest) on tv comedies telling us something is funny; and we’re too stupid to get it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
There are just so many games on TV nowadays which means there are a lot of poor broadcast teams that sometimes no sound is better but I'm old enough to remember when there were only a couple of games on TV each week and we had the GOAT Keith Jackson. I would have never hit the mute button on him.

WHooooaaa NELLLLLIEEE!!!!

Reactions: PA Tide Fan

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
I am torn about having the announcers on. They do add something to the game that I may have missed but are annoying when talking about things outside of the game (food around the town, fake girlfriends, etc). I also liked the hometown radio broadcasts and will usually go back and watch them later but not for the first viewing.

The no announcer games over the years at different times were fine with me. But I don’t care for the games where the network manipulates the crowd noise, as though to remind or prompt the viewer that the game is at an exciting point. Or recorded crowd noise for near empty stadiums, most of 2020. It’s like a laugh track (which I detest) on tv comedies telling us something is funny; and we’re too stupid to get it.
Laugh tracks are annoying but definitely needed sometimes. Shows take on a whole different feel without them. Here’s an episode of Friends with the track removed. Creepy. Not funny.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I am torn about having the announcers on. They do add something to the game that I may have missed but are annoying when talking about things outside of the game (food around the town, fake girlfriends, etc). I also liked the hometown radio broadcasts and will usually go back and watch them later but not for the first viewing.

Laugh tracks are annoying but definitely needed sometimes. Shows take on a whole different feel without them. Here’s an episode of Friends with the track removed. Creepy. Not funny.

Announcers do help inform me when I miss things on the field, get distracted from watching, or just plain don’t understand what’s going on. When I attend a game in person, I definitely miss things. Knowledgeable, unobtrusive announcers are helpful and probably necessary.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I don't mind the announcers as I mostly just tune them out anyway. They are talking, but I'm not really listening. I like the guys that just call the game, and let you know what's going on without too much mindless drivel.

Reactions: Lifer and seebell

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.