Bama Game Thread: Tennessee @ Bama [1st place on the line] (ESPN @ 7p CST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Them playing physical all game and getting away with bumping and hand checking wore us down. Didn’t look like we had legs 2nd half. Wrightsel plays he takes little pressure off Sears and Estrada handling the ball.
our guys were getting pushed, shoved, and knocked to the floor, and the crooked refs called fouls on us. There needs to be an investigation into the refs bank accounts.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
yeah, seemed to get very chilly once we got the lead.
I think we just ran out of gas. We play a very intense style. Giving our most intense defensive performance of the season, but being down a 30ish minute player, and having some in foul trouble, just proved to be too much, and that completely killed our shooting.

Proud of our defensive intensity tonight, though. This team has heart. Tough losses like this are the games that build champions.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015
Tennessee has South Carolina on the road, and Kentucky at home (Kentucky plays better on the road). I feel really good about Tennessee dropping at least one of those. We just gotta find a way to overcome our road woes against ranked teamS and beat Florida. Just gotta do our thing and let the rest play itself out.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
our guys were getting pushed, shoved, and knocked to the floor, and the crooked refs called fouls on us. There needs to be an investigation into the refs bank accounts.
This is spot on. I was there, Nelson got called for blocking out to well. They had illegal screens and crickets. Sears was fouled going to the basket over and over. There was enough to make a difference in a close game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Morning after reflections: we've played UT twice now and one thing has been true both times: they play with a style of defense that bothers us.

Bottom line: we haven't looked like ourselves in either game. Offense was clunky, shots didn't fall, and bounces didn't seem to come our way.

Our defense was as good last night as it's been all year. But UT's is just better and it controlled both games.

Sometimes a team is just put together better and you just have to tip your cap.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Tennessee has South Carolina on the road, and Kentucky at home (Kentucky plays better on the road). I feel really good about Tennessee dropping at least one of those. We just gotta find a way to overcome our road woes against ranked teamS and beat Florida. Just gotta do our thing and let the rest play itself out.
UT would need to drop both and we'd need to win our last two in order to win the regular season title outright, correct?

They are one game up, but they have the tiebreak on head to head.

I could see 'em dropping one of those two, but not both, but maybe there's a chance!

In the meantime, we have to finish too and a game at UF on Tuesday is a tough one after last night.

Reactions: Tidelines

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Morning after reflections: we've played UT twice now and one thing has been true both times: they play with a style of defense that bothers us.

Bottom line: we haven't looked like ourselves in either game. Offense was clunky, shots didn't fall, and bounces didn't seem to come our way.

Our defense was as good last night as it's been all year. But UT's is just better and it controlled both games.

UT in both games has done a good job of extending their defense to contest the three point shots. A lot of that clunkiness can be attributed to their defensive execution. It also seems, in terms of “physical play”, UT has gotten the benefit of any doubt. It is hard made the opponent respect anything at the rim if you know the officials aren’t going to call that contact.

Additionally I would have never thought UT would have outshot us from 3 point range in both number of attempts and percentage.

As you said, “tip your hat” and move on.

Reactions: TexasBama

Bpilktree

1st Team
Jan 7, 2019
UT would need to drop both and we'd need to win our last two in order to win the regular season title outright, correct?

I could see 'em dropping one of those two, but not both, but maybe there's a chance!

In the meantime, we have to finish too and a game at UF on Tuesday is a tough one after last night.
There is no tiebreaker. If you are tied it is a split title and co champions.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

yeah, their "style of defense" is foul a lot and never get called for it

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The costly no-calls on fouls around the perimeter when Alabama players are trying to make cuts and move around screens cost as much or maybe more than drives at the basket. I saw players drug to floor when being held as they made a move; these are players that do not have the ball and refs just don't watch for it. There have been three referees in NCAA games for a long time now; I sometimes wonder what the 3rd ref is doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Countrytider2

bamadwain

All-American
Oct 8, 2018
Jackson Tn

I agree with everything you said, UT plays defense that takes a way the three by pushing you out past the three point line, and for fans saying they can foul at the rim and get away with it better get used to it because in the tournament they let teams play more physical, we also need a rim protector, Pringle does a good job but not good enough

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
UT looks like a potential Final 4 team.

Alabama isn't quite there yet, and there's not much time to work out the kinks.

on the bright side, Alabama hasn't been this consistently good in many years.
I think Tennessee is the only team in the conference that could be considered elite. Bama and perhaps a couple of others are next tier down.

CrimsonTitles

1st Team
Mar 30, 2015

Unless South Carolina runs the table. Then we could still share it three ways.

I wouldn't rule out Tennessee losing both, especially if they lose to South Carolina again. Kentucky is one of the hottest teams right now

Obviously it's moot if we don't beat Florida, but i don't expect this team to drop two in a row. Losses are a powerful motivator.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads