Tennessee: Tennessee Fan Vents to Mark Packer

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
If you're a Tennessee hater - or, especially, someone like me who has a very special place reserved for Fulmer in the heart of your butthole - this will be absolutely delightful...

(The fun starts at 1:06:00)

Reactions: dtgreg

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
The highlight - for me - was, after he scolded UT for changing head coaches like you change socks, Packer told him to look to the SEC team to their North as an example.

Of course, the UT fan balked at the idea of looking to Kentucky for any sort of example.

...At which point Packer pointed out that "they're a lot better than you and if you lined up tomorrow they'd beat your *butt* just like they did a year ago, it wouldn't be close"...

Followed by, "if you keep living in 1998 people are going to have to remind you that it's the 20s; no one on your team was alive the last time UT won a championship"...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I'm not sure we can be Alabama after Saban. It's unreal the level of recruiting and development going on now.
CNS has evolved as a person, a coach and a leader of a very complex organization. I can't think of any leader in business, sports or politics who has evolved in such a positive fashion as he has. Clearly he no longer needs the money and is driven by bringing in the very best talent and seeing them grow as young men and athletes over their stay at Alabama. Of course he demands the highest level of performance and commitment from everyone in the organization.

It is difficult to imagine any coach in the history of the game including Coach Bryant who could be nearly as successful in the complex environment that coaches face today. John Wooten may be brought up in the conversation but he definitely did not live with the media glare that is present today.

Reactions: dathbama

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Been in the state and fan of Alabama since 1990. I didn't appreciate 1992 enough at the time.
It’s human nature, and I’m as guilty as anybody.

I grew up in Tuscaloosa, and Bryant came about a year before I was born. So I have early childhood memories of his first heyday in the 1960s, and his second one in the 1970s was while I was in junior high on through college.

We took SEC championships for granted, and looked at contention for national championships as a birthright. It had literally been that way since before I was born, and we had no way to know any different.

Then Bryant retired, died shortly thereafter, and the next 25 years disabused me of any sense of entitlement (1991-94 Stallings oasis acknowledged).

Having seen Alabama up and down, Mrs. Basket Case and I are enjoying this run for all it’s worth. It won’t last, but nothing is forever, and we understand that a lot better than we did in our early 20s.

Enjoy the ride
Amen to that. All good things end. Squeeze every drop of enjoyment out of this. We’re seeing history being made.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I don't know how old you are but I remember around 20-something years of hearing rival fans talking about how we were all "living in the past" and Bama was never going to be what it once was under Bryant...
Amen brother, except for a few years when Stallings was coach, the mouth flappers were non stop from the early 80s to the mid-2000s.

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
I'm guilty of going to VolNation and reading their forums. They are all over the place, some think they have the talent to go 10-2 while others are saying 6-6 will the best they can expect. After what Phil Foolman tried to do to us I hope they continue to suffer for many years to come.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Packer nailed it. They need to emulate Kentucky more and have patience (which they apparently don't have right now). And this is probably because of Bama's success. They want it overnight and can't swallow seeing where we are. They can't stand themselves in their present situation and think that someone will step in and, voila, flip a switch and suddenly they are what they use to be. Not gonna happen. They are too far removed from 20 years ago and only baby steps will get them back to the success that they are eyeing right now.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
CNS has evolved as a person, a coach and a leader of a very complex organization. I can't think of any leader in business, sports or politics who has evolved in such a positive fashion as he has. Clearly he no longer needs the money and is driven by bringing in the very best talent and seeing them grow as young men and athletes over their stay at Alabama. Of course he demands the highest level of performance and commitment from everyone in the organization.

It is difficult to imagine any coach in the history of the game including Coach Bryant who could be nearly as successful in the complex environment that coaches face today. John Wooten may be brought up in the conversation but he definitely did not live with the media glare that is present today.
Of course, it is impossible to know what Coach Bryant would be capable of today, but I truly believe you underestimate him.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
Amen brother, except for a few years when Stallings was coach, the mouth flappers were non stop from the early 80s to the mid-2000s.
Alabama was not what it had been under Coach Bryant but from 1983-1996, before the sanctions hit, Bama was the number 6 team in the country in winning % and 4th in games won on the field in P5 behind only Neb, Miami and FSU.

They also had a NC, a couple of SEC titles, 4 SECC game appearances, 1 undefeated season and 2 undefeated reg seasons.. The avg record was 9.1-2.9, finished AP ranked in 11 of the 14 years, 9-3 in bowl games (mostly minor), etc. The ridicule and snickering didn't come until DuBose, Fran, Price and Shula who were all hindered by the draconian sanctions.

Yes, of Alabama's 28, Bryant won 13 SEC titles and Saban has won 7 but Alabama has 8 more in the 48 non-Bryant/Saban years which means that Bama has won SEC titles at a higher rate than any other SEC program even in the non-B/S years and that includes the sanction years. Bama 16.7% vs UT and UGA at 14.8%. Remove the sanction years and Bama is at 21.1%. Wonder how other programs would look if you removed their 2 most successful coaches?

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Of course, it is impossible to know what Coach Bryant would be capable of today, but I truly believe you underestimate him.
I lived the Bryant era and of course we idolized him. There is no question that he revolutionized the game and took it to an entirely different level. It could be discussed for days without conclusion. My point is really that CNS has grown as a coach and person in such a remarkable fashion since his days at LSU and Miami. As everyone else here I am very thankful that he stayed and led us back to the level we experienced in the early 60's and 70's with Coach Bryant.

Reactions: dathbama and 9gks

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.