Tennessee has an obsession with throwing mustard on the field

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
First off, I CALLED THIS at the end of the SEC regular season when my boys and I were talking about who we thought would "win it all". They kept telling me Tennessee was going to cruise to the CWS because of how dominant they'd been all regular season.

But, one thing I have over my boys is playing, coaching and being around the game of baseball most of my life. One thing is for certain, regardless of how good a team is, at some point in the season they WILL hit a cold period. Granted, it may not be but just a few games or so, but it WILL happen. When the regular season and conference tournaments ended I told them they won't make it past the super regionals, if they even make it past the regionals. Sure enough, the two games they couldn't launch balls over the fence or get a good pitching performance were both elimination games and they're DONE!

I LOVE IT!!!!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
First off, I CALLED THIS at the end of the SEC regular season when my boys and I were talking about who we thought would "win it all". They kept telling me Tennessee was going to cruise to the CWS because of how dominant they'd been all regular season.

But, one thing I have over my boys is playing, coaching and being around the game of baseball most of my life. One thing is for certain, regardless of how good a team is, at some point in the season they WILL hit a cold period. Granted, it may not be but just a few games or so, but it WILL happen. When the regular season and conference tournaments ended I told them they won't make it past the super regionals, if they even make it past the regionals. Sure enough, the two games they couldn't launch balls over the fence or get a good pitching performance were both elimination games and they're DONE!

I LOVE IT!!!!
Well the #1 team hasnt won it all since 99, and the last 3 number 1 teams havent even reached Omaha. Last year Arkansas was the clear best team in the country by a mile and their closer had only given up like 3 runs all year, but had one bad outing in the Supers and it costed them. Then you look at teams like MSU who really came in the tournament cold but found a different gear and won the national championship. Its baseball.

But the Vols have been Class A classless morons from coaches and players to fans. They deserved this.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
But the Vols have been Class A classless morons from coaches and players to fans. They deserved this.
I've been around baseball for a LOOOOOOOONG time and I've never seen as much classless sportsmanship and pathetic baseball etiquette as I have with these idiots. What makes it worse is the powers that run baseball do not want the other teams to "handle it themselves" but they aren't doing anything about it either.

I'm all for exuberant celebrations (fist pumping, jumping up and down, etc) with your team, but when it is directed at the pitcher and the other team in a taunting manner, then either take it out of the game or let the other team police it. It can't be a one-way street.

Last edited:

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
UTe are staying home courtesy of the Irish that Fights? Whaaaaaaat?!?!?!

I cannot fathom how the outcome of losing the Super Regionals could happen to such an honourable and respectable bunch of Neanderthals. Colour me shocked.....SHOCKED at UTe losing.

😈

Reactions: dtgreg

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've been around baseball for a LOOOOOOOONG time and I've never seen as much classless sportsmanship and pathetic baseball etiquette as I have with these idiots. What makes it worse is the powers that run baseball do not want the other teams to "handle it themselves" but they aren't doing anything about it either. I'm all for exuberant celebrations (fist pumping, jumping up and down, etc) with your team, but when it is directed at the pitcher and the other team in a taunting manner, then either take it out of the game or let the other team police it. It can't be a one-way street.
IDK. Back in the 90’s a little chin music by the pitcher was expected the next time to the plate if batters acted like fools like Tennessee did all year. But then again people like great batters now and hate good pitchers. Maybe @selmaborntidefan can remember something, but I have never seen a baseball team resemble Miami football like this Tennessee team both professionally and in college.

I mean, I’m sure you probably don’t like LSU baseball but I’ve been to several LSU and Auburn baseball games decked in Bama gear and was treated with respect and people would want to have friendly conversations about the game. I had a friend take his grandson to the Alabama-Auburn game in baseball without a ticket in Auburn and 3 people offered to give them a ticket free of charge. The game of baseball rarely brings out the donkey like behavior that football and basketball does in college. But Tennessee has basically become Yankees and Phillies fans overnight and their coach and players are encouraging it.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
IDK. Back in the 90’s a little chin music by the pitcher was expected the next time to the plate if batters acted like fools like Tennessee did all year. But then again people like great batters now and hate good pitchers. Maybe @selmaborntidefan can remember something, but I have never seen a baseball team resemble Miami football like this Tennessee team both professionally and in college.

I mean, I’m sure you probably don’t like LSU baseball but I’ve been to several LSU and Auburn baseball games decked in Bama gear and was treated with respect and people would want to have friendly conversations about the game. I had a friend take his grandson to the Alabama-Auburn game in baseball without a ticket in Auburn and 3 people offered to give them a ticket free of charge. The game of baseball rarely brings out the donkey like behavior that football and basketball does in college. But Tennessee has basically become Yankees and Phillies fans overnight and their coach and players are encouraging it.
It was embarrassing, to be honest, and even the announcers were CAREFULLY saying the same thing but in broadcaster "code". That is not how you want to teach the game to be played. You can show emotion, have fun, celebrate and make the game exciting without that tomfoolery.

Reactions: 81usaf92 and dtgreg

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Well, UT is the only stadium I ever went to where the other team's fans threw half-eaten chicken wings at the Million Dollar Band. So there's that.

Reactions: dtgreg

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Well, UT is the only stadium I ever went to where the other team's fans threw half-eaten chicken wings at the Million Dollar Band. So there's that.
Guessing this was more recent and not the Johnny Major's years. That was the last time I went to a game at knoxville. Everybody back then couldn't have been nicer. It was a mutual respect for each other. Then a fat piece of crap stabbed Majors in the back and they became trash since.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

You’d be hard pressed to find anything resembling Miami football. They finally took steps to get taunting out of the game. The solid point of reference is the 1991 Cotton Bowl, where Miami got flagged for 202 yards in penalties in a game where Texas had 205 yards of offense.

Tennessee may be bad but they can’t approach that. Of course, baseball doesn’t lend itself to that level of immediate retaliation, either.

To be fair to Miami, part of it was the late 80s culture. The Detroit Pistons and Oakland Athletics were brash talkers and the Bad Boyz Pistons picked fight after fight and threw elbows in eyes, etc. Even before them the Madden and Flores era Raiders were gut punchers and the Jerry Granville Oilers were dirty as a coal miner’s underwear in January. Nobody who wasn’t there recalls the Oilers because they never won anything.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Schadenfreude - shah'-den-froi-duh n the pleasure experienced while watching a trash Tennessee team and their trash coach get eliminated in a regional on their home field despite a #1 ranking.

Honestly, I'd root for the University of Tehran Fightin' Mullahs over those orange pukestains.

Reactions: gman4tide

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
You’d be hard pressed to find anything resembling Miami football. They finally took steps to get taunting out of the game. The solid point of reference is the 1991 Cotton Bowl, where Miami got flagged for 202 yards in penalties in a game where Texas had 205 yards of offense.

Tennessee may be bad but they can’t approach that. Of course, baseball doesn’t lend itself to that level of immediate retaliation, either.

To be fair to Miami, part of it was the late 80s culture. The Detroit Pistons and Oakland Athletics were brash talkers and the Bad Boyz Pistons picked fight after fight and threw elbows in eyes, etc. Even before them the Madden and Flores era Raiders were gut punchers and the Jerry Granville Oilers were dirty as a coal miner’s underwear in January. Nobody who wasn’t there recalls the Oilers because they never won anything.
Glanville’s “House of Pain” in Houston was mostly painful for the fans. Saban was on Glanville’s staff for a while.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.