BREAKING Fourteennessee's Pruitt FIRED (along with staff & Fulmer resigning). Wants back at Alabama

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Also some chatter about interest in O'Brien.
Oh, my Gosh. This is before O'Brien has even started the "Coach Saban Coaches' Rehab Program."
It reminds me of the novel Catch-22, in which an Native American family (Chief White Half-Oat) was repeatedly kicked off its land because oil was found on the land, so the oil companies started following them around in front, trying to guess where they would stop next so they could drill for oil there.

Reactions: Bodhisattva

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The idea that Tenneessee is a great program is mostly a myth. Sure, back during Bears earlier years they were a power, So was Ole Miss. It was a different time before recruiting became a national thing. Fast forward to the late 90's. The SEC was not very strong top to bottom. Florida more or less was the top dog, Georgia was mediocre, Alabama was in the midst of a decade of tears. Auburn under Tubberville was solid but not good enough to win championships.

Tennessee does not have a natural local recruiting base in East Tennessee, Memphis has talent but that is so far away it might as well be in another state. So last time they were successful they came into Alabama and took pretty much anybody they wanted, then stole a few here and there from Georgia and Mississippi and South Carolina. Today Georgia is a recruiting powerhouse, so is Alabama, South Carolina doesn't hemorrhage as they once did. These coaches should know this and realize that unless Alabama or Georgia falls they won't be able to stock enough talent to win big. I know everyone assumes an eventual Saban retirement, but when he goes my guess is the cupboard will still be stocked with talent, and if Alabama hires the right coach, they should continue to be a top team. I don't mean to suggest we will win Natty's every 4 years after that, but there is no reason they should fall off the wagon unless Saban's replacement messes it up. and even if they do, Georgia would have to collapse as well to reproduce the conditions that existed when they last won the natty. and that UT team was in my opinion one of two weakest Natty winners in modern times. Were there a 4 team playoff they may not have that one trophy

Add to all this they are probably going to have scholarship limitations. As the news suggested, Keven Steele is probably their best choice as head man. He will want the job, and short of a miracle they are not going to be very successful for several years. In fact with the portal allowing player movement they may be really terrible, even for Tennessee. So Steele would be the fall guy for the program and when recruiting returns to normal they will be in a better position to hire a coach who is any good.

Hiring a retread like Gus or Freeze will result in a few interesting moments, but ultimately not get them anywhere. and knowing Freeze they may end up with the death penalty.

• Thank You
Reactions: Bill from NYC

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Barring some "out of the blue" hire, I expect Kevin Steele to be the Vols HC, at least for the 2021 season. I suspect CJP has some culpability in these violations, if nothing else a lack of control over his staff. I would not expect to see him back at Alabama for at least the next 2-3 years, but it will likely depend on how his litigation plays out.

Bill from NYC

Scout Team
Dec 24, 2020
The idea that Tenneessee is a great program is mostly a myth. Sure, back during Bears earlier years they were a power, So was Ole Miss. It was a different time before recruiting became a national thing. Fast forward to the late 90's. The SEC was not very strong top to bottom. Florida more or less was the top dog, Georgia was mediocre, Alabama was in the midst of a decade of tears. Auburn under Tubberville was solid but not good enough to win championships.

Tennessee does not have a natural local recruiting base in East Tennessee, Memphis has talent but that is so far away it might as well be in another state. So last time they were successful they came into Alabama and took pretty much anybody they wanted, then stole a few here and there from Georgia and Mississippi and South Carolina. Today Georgia is a recruiting powerhouse, so is Alabama, South Carolina doesn't hemorrhage as they once did. These coaches should know this and realize that unless Alabama or Georgia falls they won't be able to stock enough talent to win big. I know everyone assumes an eventual Saban retirement, but when he goes my guess is the cupboard will still be stocked with talent, and if Alabama hires the right coach, they should continue to be a top team. I don't mean to suggest we will win Natty's every 4 years after that, but there is no reason they should fall off the wagon unless Saban's replacement messes it up. and even if they do, Georgia would have to collapse as well to reproduce the conditions that existed when they last won the natty. and that UT team was in my opinion one of two weakest Natty winners in modern times. Were there a 4 team playoff they may not have that one trophy

Add to all this they are probably going to have scholarship limitations. As the news suggested, Keven Steele is probably their best choice as head man. He will want the job, and short of a miracle they are not going to be very successful for several years. In fact with the portal allowing player movement they may be really terrible, even for Tennessee. So Steele would be the fall guy for the program and when recruiting returns to normal they will be in a better position to hire a coach who is any good.

Hiring a retread like Gus or Freeze will result in a few interesting moments, but ultimately not get them anywhere. and knowing Freeze they may end up with the death penalty.
Great, informative post!

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
This was a job Pruitt should have never taken. I was in Knoxville for a game after he was hired and some UT fans asked me about CJP. I told them he was a really good football coach but the ancillary aspects of the job might be an issue. That has proven true. Phil was shown the door with good reason. It would not surprise me if he was the one orchestrating the a lot of the shenanigans behind the scenes. Snakes won't bite him out of professional courtesy. Hopefully Pruitt sues andwins. It seems from his lawyers statement that noteverythingyou hear is true. Also, just a side note, UT is or has been in some pretty dire financial situation for years.

Reactions: CrimsonPaul

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I listened to the press conference. Nine coaches, I think 7 are off the field analysts or admins, fired for multiple serious violations. Pruitt fired for essentially a lack of compliance monitoring and culture, not necessarily committing the violations himself. She did not mention, while I was listening, whether Pruitt knew the violations were occurring. She also commented that the nine coaches actively worked to hide their activities and impede compliance efforts (obviously).

People are mentioning Freeze. Folks, if this woman is being truthful and not hyperbolic, Tennessee is about to be nuked from orbit. They ain’t getting a “Freeze.”
If Pruitt was "directed" to hire ANY of those coaches, I think the blame shifts to someone above him... guess who that is. :cool:

I know Tee Martin was forced on him and probably others.

If they did hire Freeze, the NZAA would shut that program down! :oops:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Fulmer actually spoke at the press conference. While I believe he is dirty as hell from way back, him speaking today seems to suggest he had no involvement or knowledge of these events. I realize he is stepping down. I more believe that’s because his hire has utterly failed. He’s falling on his sword, so to speak. Again, still dirty as hell.
He is solidly involved and is resigning because he knows it is going to come out...:cool:

TraskiTideFan

1st Team
Apr 18, 2009
Savannah TN
Good grief..... if you read the terms on his contract, all you had to do was insinuate Level 1 infractions in ANY possible scenario involved or not, and they could wash their hands of you PDQ...... I wouldnt sign an employment contract like that for certain no matter what the job title was..... head domestic engineer or Grand Poobah of TimBuckToo!

OSUTideFan

All-American
Dec 17, 2019
Indiana
Good grief..... if you read the terms on his contract, all you had to do was insinuate Level 1 infractions in ANY possible scenario involved or not, and they could wash their hands of you PDQ...... I wouldnt sign an employment contract like that for certain no matter what the job title was..... head domestic engineer or Grand Poobah of TimBuckToo!
They found a hole in the budget and are willing to sacrifice their football program for a few years to try to patch up the deficit. That’s my cold take

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

UT wanting to avoid 12 million buyout. IDK, but do they think the fallout won't be worse than the buyout???
“And the saddest part of everything that’s happened at Tennessee is that it was totally and completely predictable, as it tried to microwave the school’s glory years by bringing back Fulmer. That experiment ended on Monday in a cringy news conference where Tennessee’s suits awkwardly tried to salute Fulmer as they were shoving his undeserved administrative career in the trunk of a rental car.”

Ouch...that’s going to leave a mark.

Ya just hate to see it.....

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
This will get settled out of court. UcheaT does NOT want Subpeonas flying around Knoxville... :cool:

On a side note, for the Chancellor to come out this early and absolve Phatimus of any involvement this early in the Investigation is laughable!:oops:
Three Man Front is all over Tennessee this morning for how they conducted the for cause firing of CJP while praising Fulmer as a Tennessee coaching legend. I would imagine the interrogatories are already flying demanding all emails, meeting minutes, etc. from all involved parties. Everyone from the Chancellor on down now know that they have really messed this up once again!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.