TEXAS A&M Week

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I'm confident of a win, but I'm in the definite minority in thinking it's going to be a battle.

People are too enamored of the final score vs. MSU last week -- 42-24 looks like butt-whipping. But then you look at how a lot of the key plays happened:

- aTm turned the ball over four times, three of which were in the red zone.
- In addition to which MSU returned a blocked FG 50 yards for a TD
- In addition to which MSU got a pick-6 late to ice the game.
- MSU did get about 75 - 80 more passing yards, but otherwise, most of the stats are about even.
- Rushing yards were about even, but if you take QB rushing out of it, aTm averaged almost 6.5 ypc -- more than MSU did.
- aTm had 27 first downs -- they moved the ball.

Where the game got away from them was turnovers and inability to consistently protect the QB, which negated MSU getting flagged 13 times for almost 140 yards in penalties

That, and a couple of blunders that don't happen all that much -- a blocked FG returned 50 yards for a TD, and a pick-6.

My point is that that game was a lot closer than the final score would make you think.

aTm is wounded and has several problems. But they're being written off as just this side of incompetent, and that's simply not warranted.
Now do the Arkansas game they clearly should have lost and scored 16 points offensively or the Appalachian state game they scored 14 points in. Or how they are averaging 19.5 points per game against fbs competition. Or how they are 97th in rushing defense. I think it is kind of warranted. My point is I can call them steaming stinking pile of garbage and agree they shouldn't be taken lightly. Not really a mutually exclusive thing IMO.

Reactions: 4Q Basket Case

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Thanks or posting those runs. I tend to agree gashing them for 5-8 yards runs is more realistic than thinking we'll break off three 70+ runs.

But those runs were also blocked very well, especially the two by Gibbs. JM just did what an athlete of his caliber can do and Pool was not match even when he was spying him.

But, I just can't get past how stupid it was for BOB to call a pass after JM's long run FROM THE TWO YARD LINE! This is when you run it 4 straight times to get into the EZ. That was almost a disaster!!!
BOB has no feel for when the run gets us in close. RUNDBAWL should have called a couple of plays. What it amounts to is when they are on the ropes, we need to pound em silly.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Howdy Bama... Just dropping in to ask that you please call off the dogs at some point... say... in the middle of the second quarter. :)

Resident Aggie here... I was mildly encouraged to see at least a few of you kicking around the idea whether if Young is out, you'll have issues. Let's just say, my first comment assumed Young was out... as well as your entire first string defense... Yes... that's just how bad our offense is this year.
Not sure I buy it.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Howdy Bama... Just dropping in to ask that you please call off the dogs at some point... say... in the middle of the second quarter. :)

Resident Aggie here... I was mildly encouraged to see at least a few of you kicking around the idea whether if Young is out, you'll have issues. Let's just say, my first comment assumed Young was out... as well as your entire first string defense... Yes... that's just how bad our offense is this year.
RAT POISON!!

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've watched 8&4 several times this year and it seems they are struggling on the offensive side of the ball. If our defense can keep their offense struggling like they have this season, it should begin to tire their defense. But, as many have already alluded to, their offense was "struggling" leading into this game last season as well.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I've watched 8&4 several times this year and it seems they are struggling on the offensive side of the ball. If our defense can keep their offense struggling like they have this season, it should begin to tire their defense. But, as many have already alluded to, their offense was "struggling" leading into this game last season as well.
It depends on our mental approach, no matter who plays QB.

Last year they did not take this game seriously, and that's why they got beat. That's why Zach Calzone looked like hot garbage before the game, an all-American during the game, and hot garbage since the game.

A&M treated this game like their Super Bowl last year. They will no doubt do the same this year. However, if we treat this game with seriousness, it will not be close at the end. If we do the same as last year? Then it will be a 50/50 game.

Reactions: B1GTide

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Meh, Bama kept them in check last year, too. It was just one of those games - won't happen again.

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 10.42.08 AM.png

In no universe do you handle a team like Bama did and lose, unless the stars align just right...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I'm not so sure we did keep them in check in the areas that can swing the outcome of a game. Averaging 9.2 yards/pass allowed them to only have 10 third-down situations compared to our 18, on top of the QB throwing 3 TD's, completing 67% of his passes, then giving up a 96-yard kick-off return for a TD.

1664985005601.png

1664985125030.png

1664985049666.png

Reactions: Con

MikeInBama

1st Team
Sep 11, 2021
Prattvegas
I'm not so sure we did keep them in check in the areas that can swing the outcome of a game. Averaging 9.2 yards/pass allowed them to only have 10 third-down situations compared to our 18, on top of the QB throwing 3 TD's, completing 67% of his passes, then giving up a 96-yard kick-off return for a TD.

View attachment 29089

View attachment 29091

View attachment 29090
I think the point was even with us turning the ball over twice and performing badly on both sides of the ball, we were still in position to send the game to OT. Those kinds of things shouldn't happen again.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think the point was even with us turning the ball over twice and performing badly on both sides of the ball, we were still in position to send the game to OT. Those kinds of things shouldn't happen again.
Agreed, but allowing the other team 9.2 yards per pass play and the quarterback to have a 67% completion % and a 96-yard kickoff return for a TD to boot, normally gets you beat regardless of turnovers.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.