News Article: Texas Cops...SMH

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Grandma steps in front of police guns to protect grandson

So, cops try to stop a car for supposedly running a stop sign.

Guy in car drives to his house. No idea what the distance was. Based on the video it does not appear that he was driving recklessly, but who knows. I'm really trying to give the officers the benefit of the doubt.

Cops use PA to tell guy to get out of car.

Guy refuses to leave car for ~ 6 minutes.

Cops call for backup.

Guy gets out of car, hands in the air, screaming something along the lines of "why are you pulling me over?"

Cops, guns drawn, keep telling him to show them his hands, even though that's exactly what he's doing.

And then the guys grandmother comes out to protect her son, and things get really stupid.

Oh, and apparently half the neighborhood was taping it.

Thankfully no one got shot. For running a stop sign.

Can't WAIT to hear the official explanation for this one.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They all had their guns drawn and were clearly terrified. Not one tried to deescalate the situation. How does no one even try to deescalate?

Why are the police so afraid in America? I have 3 family members in the police and none of them go to work terrified. We are recruiting the wrong kind of people into this very important job in America.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
If I had to guess, the young man didn't want to exit the car because he was terrified of being shot....

That fear was then justified when you see multiple squad vehicles and every cop on scene has their gun drawn and pointed at him as he's probably 40 ft away with both hands clearly in the air.

Then just when I think I'm almost becoming a human husk with no feelings inside, the Grandmother comes out trying to deescalate the situation and protect her grandson...

Tears just started rolling down my face.....and fear hit me too because I was scared for her....

Then of course they come bum rushing in to make the arrest an NOT ONE OF THEM has the presence in mind to make sure the poor woman doesn't get hurt..... so she falls..... and I gasped....

That could have turned out BADLY..... and it's a minor miracle nothing tragic happened.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
One thing I have learned in my life is that 95% of all people that become cops became cops for 3 reasons.
1. They were bullies in high school and get to continue being bullies.
2. They were bullied in high school and now get to be the bully.
3. All the men in the family were cops so they became cops. Some didn't even want to do it. They just did it because all they didn't know anything else.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One thing I have learned in my life is that 95% of all people that become cops became cops for 3 reasons.
1. They were bullies in high school and get to continue being bullies.
2. They were bullied in high school and now get to be the bully.
3. All the men in the family were cops so they became cops. Some didn't even want to do it. They just did it because all they didn't know anything else.
You have to be OK with being disliked, sort of like being a mod on here... :sneaky:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This occurred to me yesterday, looking at the MN National Guard. The only difference was blue uniforms vs. camo...
I was Security Forces in the military (MPs for the Airforce) before military police fully went to infantry support. But one of the most shocking things I found out was how better trained MPs were at being police officers than most actual police officers. We had several occasions in which Omaha, Douglas co, and Bellevue Pd was allowed to train with us and believe me it would scare you how much they went with the most aggressive and illegal methods during training exercises. Most of it revolves around the sayings “judged by 12 over carried by 6” and “ I was in fear of my life will set me free” that is drilled into brains during police officer training.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I was Security Forces in the military (MPs for the Airforce) before military police fully went to infantry support. But one of the most shocking things I found out was how better trained MPs were at being police officers than most actual police officers. We had several occasions in which Omaha, Douglas co, and Bellevue Pd was allowed to train with us and believe me it would scare you how much they went with the most aggressive and illegal methods during training exercises. Most of it revolves around the sayings “judged by 12 over carried by 6” and “ I was in fear of my life will set me free” that is drilled into brains during police officer training.
I've known enough of them over the years to know of what you speak. There are few men more dangerous than an LEO with a TRO out against him...

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've known enough of them over the years to know of what you speak. There are few men more dangerous than an LEO with a TRO against him...
One of my later commanders was asked by one the local police chiefs after a pretty bad police brutality case against his department why our squadron has gotten fewer that 10 cases that resulted in shooting and physical violence in the previous 10 years, and what would be some advice he would pass on. My commander basically said “Hire good vetted people, drill use of force more than who is the top shot in the department, and make sure your officers have more than a grade school understanding of the US Constitution”.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One of my later commanders was asked by one the local police chiefs after a pretty bad police brutality case against his department why our squadron has gotten fewer that 10 cases that resulted in shooting and physical violence in the previous 10 years, and what would be some advice he would pass on. My commander basically said “Hire good vetted people, drill use of force more than who is the top shot in the department, and make sure your officers have more than a grade school understanding of the US Constitution”.
The larger towns can afford to recruit like that - and still get some klinkers. The smaller towns are left in the lurch. Oftentimes, it's someone who can't get a job elsewhere. This leads to one off my tales. Years ago, God, about 40, I took several friends backpacking over at Big Frog Mountain, near Ducktown, TN. We borrowed a friend's SUV, GMC brand, because we had to wend our way up a Forest Service road to the trailhead. In the truck were my wife to be (present - not that I knew it then) her cousin, an attorney from here, who was her cousin. She knew that' he didn't. We holed the oil cooler, which was stupidly hung down under the oil pan, and seized the engine. I felt really badly because the friend was an MD and it was his bad weather vehicle, 4WD, to get to the hospital. Condensing a bit, we finally got a wrecker out of Cleveland, TN, on the way. When he got there, the only way to get everyone off the mountain was me in the cab with him and all the rest (illegally) in the SUV. I learned a lot about him on the way down. We went to Etowah, TN. I went in to the town hall/jail to make a call. He wouldn't go in, because he had warrants out on him. He commented about being "too familiar" with them. OK. Got the SUV in and had to go up several times to inspect their engine work.

Fast forward about 7-8 years. I'm driving through Etowah, pulling a popup camper and I see blue lights behind me. I pull over and up strides my wrecker driver. (He was a trucker before and driving the wrecker on the weekend.) I stick my hand out and say "You don't remember me, do you?" He takes my handshake and says "I can't rightly say that I do." I remind him, frozen in the middle, when I remember that he'd commented on the way down the mountain that he had a twin brother. So I take a chance, 50/50, after all. I say "How did you end up on the wrong side of the law?" He grins and allows as to how truckin' had sort of petered out for a while and they'd offered him the deputy job. Anyway, he decides to let me go, with a "sin no more," and we drive off. My (then) wife says "I can't believe your luck." I'd tipped him very well for the wrecker trip. I think he remembered that... :)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The larger towns can afford to recruit like that - and still get some klinkers. The smaller towns are left in the lurch. Oftentimes, it's someone who can't get a job elsewhere. This leads to one off my tales. Years ago, God, about 40, I took several friends backpacking over at Big Frog Mountain, near Ducktown, TN. We borrowed a friend's SUV, GMC brand, because we had to wend our way up a Forest Service road to the trailhead. In the truck were my wife to be (present - not that I knew it then) her cousin, an attorney from here, who was her cousin. She knew that' he didn't. We holed the oil cooler, which was stupidly hung down under the oil pan, and seized the engine. I felt really badly because the friend was an MD and it was his bad weather vehicle, 4WD, to get to the hospital. Condensing a bit, we finally got a wrecker out of Cleveland, TN, on the way. When he got there, the only way to get everyone off the mountain was me in the cab with him and all the rest (illegally) in the SUV. I learned a lot about him on the way down. We went to Etowah, TN. I went in to the town hall/jail to make a call. He wouldn't go in, because he had warrants out on him. He commented about being "too familiar" with them. OK. Got the SUV in and had to go up several times to inspect their engine work.

Fast forward about 7-8 years. I'm driving through Etowah, pulling a popup camper and I see blue lights behind me. I pull over and up strides my wrecker driver. (He was a trucker before and driving the wrecker on the weekend.) I stick my hand out and say "You don't remember me, do you?" He takes my handshake and says "I can't rightly say that I do." I remind him, frozen in the middle, when I remember that he'd commented on the way down the mountain that he had a twin brother. So I take a chance, 50/50, after all. I say "How did you end up on the wrong side of the law?" He grins and allows as to how truckin' had sort of petered out for a while and they'd offered him the deputy job. Anyway, he decides to let me go, with a "sin no more," and we drive off. My (then) wife says "I can't believe your luck." I'd tipped him very well for the wrecker trip. I think he remembered that... :)
i have run over big frog a few times. it's an awesome place. one of my three "spirit world" long distance trail running experiences was on the 4ish mil run down to the ocoee from the top to end our 38 mile run across the cohutta forest starting near chatsworth.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i have run over big frog a few times. it's an awesome place. one of my three "spirit world" long distance trail running experiences was on the 4ish mil run down to the ocoee from the top to end our 38 mile run across the cohutta forest starting near chatsworth.
We were heading for the upper trailhead, which reduces the elevation gain by a lot. I had some beginners with me. The Ocoee trailhead is a pretty good hike...

Reactions: 92tide

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.