The Aaron Rodgers Saga

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think this is a big story but in the end I think most are going to be disappointed how it ends.

my 2 cents

- Aaron will play for GB in 2021. Personally I think both parties should split but I think Green Bay is going to ultimately win the battle by refusing to trade him.

- I think Aaron sees the end of his career and is lashing out to pursue another ring. I think Aaron has 2-3 good years remaining. Unlike Brady, Brees, and Manning he has taken way more punishment to his body. I think he has taken better care of it than Roethlisberger, his body has taken just as many hits like Roethlisberger and it’s taken years off of him. I think he knows Green Bay is probably the 4th or 5th best team in the NFC behind Tampa, LA, SF, and Seattle. He desperately wants a team capable of winning without him having to do 90% of the work.

- ultimately I think he wants someone like Julio and a great defensive stud to bolster their chances. But I think GB is going to take a half measure.

- I say expect a public compromise to convince cheesehead nation that everything is alright but I think they are at the point of no return and once there is a chance to get out AR will be out, but there is no way without the deal of the century that GB is going to trade him.

I just don’t think a trade is going to happen looking at the current landscape. Elway loves trading and getting free agents but I don’t think he is going to risk the franchise on AR. I also don’t think Gruden would want to wager the franchise on AR either, nor do I think he wants to work with an alpha male like AR. So the options are very limited. The Saints and Falcons are options but going head to head with TB without a supporting cast that a trade for Rodgers would cost may not be appealing to them.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This will be interesting to watch play out. I'm not sure how much of Rodgers' threats are just bluff or him being serious, but he's made some "line in the sand" type remarks of what would need to be done for him to return to GB. He apparently wants the current GM fired, and he's got some beef with the head coach as well.

If I'm GB's management, I don't want my franchise quarterback who may, AT BEST, have 3 good years left in him, coming to work not wanting to be in the building. They would be better off to trade him now when they can enough draft picks to set them up to be a championship team without Rodgers for years to come, rather than fire a GM and possibly tell the HC that he's really not the HC while Rodgers is here and it all ends up backfiring on them.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This will be interesting to watch play out. I'm not sure how much of Rodgers' threats are just bluff or him being serious, but he's made some "line in the sand" type remarks of what would need to be done for him to return to GB. He apparently wants the current GM fired, and he's got some beef with the head coach as well.

If I'm GB's management, I don't want my franchise quarterback who may, AT BEST, have 3 good years left in him, coming to work not wanting to be in the building. They would be better off to trade him now when they can enough draft picks to set them up to be a championship team without Rodgers for years to come, rather than fire a GM and possibly tell the HC that he's really not the HC while Rodgers is here and it all ends up backfiring on them.
I think the issue is that he knows a window is about to slam in his face on capturing that second ring. I think last year’s decision not to go for it on the goal line was the last straw of a history of back and forth issues with him and the organization. He wants a team willing and capable of beating Tampa and LA, but I think realistically major moves by the Packers to accomplish that goal are probably too late.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
The "Blonde Bomber", Terry Bradshaw has his opinion on the Aaron Rodgers saga.

With him being that upset shows me how weak he is,” Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw said Monday in an appearance with Moose and Maggie on WFAN. “Who the hell cares who you draft? I mean, he’s a three-time MVP in the league and he’s worried about this guy they drafted last year at number one? . . . And for him to be upset, my God, I don’t understand that. Pittsburgh drafted Mark Malone number one, Cliff Stoudt in the third or fourth round. I had them coming at me from all angles. I embraced it, because when we went to practice, I wasn’t worried about those guys. You know? They didn’t scare me a bit. So I don’t understand why he’s so upset at Green Bay. . . .
Tell us how you really feel Terry Bradshaw

• Haha
Reactions: B1GTide

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
No-one looks good in all this, and I think there's no good ending to the story.

The Packers' FO royally screwed the pooch with last year's draft. Not only not giving Rodgers a heads-up that drafting Love was a possibility (the Bears did that for Andy Dalton for Pete's sake when they traded up for Fields), but only drafting 1 player that made any contribution to the 2020 season when there were obvious needs to be filled from the 2019 team. The fact that the GB FO culture is to never go all-in with big free-agent signings no doubt rankled for AR, especially when he saw how doing that for Brady (and giving him input) worked out in Tampa. There's also no owner that AR can lobby personally to get what he wants.

That said, they did keep all but 1 piece of last year's #1 offense, made their LT the hightest-paid in the NFL, actually filled areas of need with this draft, and flew across the country many times to do personal penance for the Love pick. They also fired Mike McCarthy when AR got fed up with his offense. They also pay AR an ungodly amount of money and haven't asked him to take a pay cut to help with the salary cap that I know of.

My $.02 as a Packers fan: 1. I'm irritated with both sides: the FO for learning NOTHING from the Favre debacle, and Rodgers for looking petty by going nuclear-option on draft day (though I understand why - with his competitive window closing and only 1-SB ring to show for a HoF career). 2. I think AR's best chance for another ring is still with GB for the reasons above. 3. Packers fans forgave Favre pretty quickly because AR ended up being another generational QB talent. I'm not sure Jordan Love will be in that same category, so if AR retires/leaves for another team, fan/team resentment toward him will last much longer, Jeopardy host or not.

The whole situation was as avoidable as last season's NFCCG was winnable for the Packers. I hope they can resolve the issues, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: seebell and B1GTide

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
No-one looks good in all this, and I think there's no good ending to the story.

The Packers' FO royally screwed the pooch with last year's draft. Not only not giving Rodgers a heads-up that drafting Love was a possibility (the Bears did that for Andy Dalton for Pete's sake when they traded up for Fields), but only drafting 1 player that made any contribution to the 2020 season when there were obvious needs to be filled from the 2019 team. The fact that the GB FO culture is to never go all-in with big free-agent signings no doubt rankled for AR, especially when he saw how doing that for Brady (and giving him input) worked out in Tampa. There's also no owner that AR can lobby personally to get what he wants.

That said, they did keep all but 1 piece of last year's #1 offense, made their LT the hightest-paid in the NFL, actually filled areas of need with this draft, and flew across the country many times to do personal penance for the Love pick. They also fired Mike McCarthy when AR got fed up with his offense. They also pay AR an ungodly amount of money and haven't asked him to take a pay cut to help with the salary cap that I know of.

My $.02 as a Packers fan: 1. I'm irritated with both sides: the FO for learning NOTHING from the Favre debacle, and Rodgers for looking petty by going nuclear-option on draft day (though I understand why - with his competitive window closing and only 1-SB ring to show for a HoF career). 2. I think AR's best chance for another ring is still with GB for the reasons above. 3. Packers fans forgave Favre pretty quickly because AR ended up being another generational QB talent. I'm not sure Jordan Love will be in that same category, so if AR retires/leaves for another team, fan/team resentment toward him will last much longer, Jeopardy host or not.

The whole situation was as avoidable as last season's NFCCG was winnable for the Packers. I hope they can resolve the issues, but I'm not holding my breath.
-AR has/had relationship problems with his family. I've read (not sure if true or not) that birthday gifts they mailed to him were mailed back, unopened.

-AR had relationship issues with Mike McCarthy

-AR had/has relationship issues with current HC Matt LaFleur

-AR has relationship issues with GB's GM Brian Gutekunst

Houston, I think we've found the problem...

An anecdote of my own regarding AR, the loan officer who handles our loans for our investment property is a HUGE Greenbay fan and was able to be around AR in year two post-Favre. He said he was an utter jackass but more noticeable than that, he is just "weird". I haven't had the opportunity to talk with him since this broke but I think I may give him a shout this week to see what he thinks about all of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: CB4

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
-AR has/had relationship problems with his family. I've read (not sure if true or not) that birthday gifts they mailed to him were mailed back, unopened.

An anecdote of my own regarding AR, the loan officer who handles our loans for our investment property is a HUGE Greenbay fan and was able to be around AR in year two post-Favre. He said he was an utter jackass but more noticeable than that, he is just "weird". I haven't had the opportunity to talk with him since this broke but I think I may give him a shout this week to see what he thinks about all of it.
Word is Rodgers is as good at perceiving slights and holding grudges as he is at playing QB. In his defense, he apparently treated Love much better than Favre treated him when he started out. It'd be interesting to hear what your guy says....

Reactions: Bamabuzzard

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Word is Rodgers is as good at perceiving slights and holding grudges as he is at playing QB. In his defense, he apparently treated Love much better than Favre treated him when he started out. It'd be interesting to hear what your guy says....
Both Favre and Rodgers (and a lot of superstars like them) are just jackasses by nature. That "jackassness" is part of what makes them great and relentless on the field. But there's no switch to cut it off when the game is over. So at this stage, we're just discussing degrees of "jackassness" when talking about these two. LOL!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

You got to remember we are talking about a guy that hasn’t talked to his mom, dad, and brother for 6 years because of what they thought about Olivia munn.

Reactions: Bamabuzzard

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
You got to remember we are talking about a guy that hasn’t talked to his mom, dad, and brother for 6 years because of what they thought about Olivia munn.
Who is Olivia?

He could land the job hosting Jeopardy.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
There have been a few tidbits in the last week. 1. Mike Holmgren crushed the Packers' front office in an interview saying they handled the situation badly. 2. James Jones and John Kuhn (who may have been in contact with AR) said the situation may be salvageable. 3. The draft day timing of the news coming out apparently came from Schefter, who called it an "accumulation of information" instead of "breaking news." Whatever that means.

Nothing to do but wait, really. Rodgers is unlikely to speak until he either, returns, retires, or is traded.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Apparently Aaron Rodgers has been sabotaging the Packers since last year and has a huge amount of Brady envy.
This is the real issue. IMO, both Wilson’s and Rogers’ whining has been in view of the accolades that have come Brady’s way with the SB success at TB. They are both physically superior but mentally and attitudinally far behind.

Brady is in another league from all others. Starr, who won 5 NFL championships, and Montana who won 4, are the only others that I can think of within shouting distance in regard to the mental and attitude/heart/nerve part of the game. Though these attributes can’t be seen they are no less real and the primary identifier of transcendence.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is the real issue. IMO, both Wilson’s and Rogers’ whining has been in view of the accolades that have come Brady’s way with the SB success at TB. They are both physically superior but mentally and attitudinally far behind.

Brady is in another league from all others. Starr, who won 5 NFL championships, and Montana who won 4, are the only others that I can think of within shouting distance in regard to the mental and attitude/heart/nerve part of the game. Though these attributes can’t be seen they are no less real and the primary identifier of transcendence.
Personally I don’t like athletes who are making demands that are out in the open that basically say “I’m the #1 guy”. As a Steelers fan I went through it 3 years in a row with the Bell, AB, and Roethlisberger saga. We should have played for a super bowl with that tandem but egos taller than Everest created a wound in the organization that still hasn’t healed. So I don’t particularly like this “ me first” attitude from others. Granted I do agree that the Packers haven’t done Rodgers any favors, but this is the crap that starts friction in the locker room. While Rodgers can deny that he directly said it, his silence and lack of willingness to kill the stories speaks enough about his position.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.