The Annual Offensive Line Discussion

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017
We should be solid at center but need a #3 guy. I could see those guards getting a good challenge but they probably hold on due to the experience they have. Latham at RT and Steen at LT will have to perform to hold on to those spots.

Not sure what the end result will be but I'd expect some spirited competition at all five spots this fall. Won't be surprised if one of the freshmen (Pritchett/Booker) make a strong run at a spot somewhere. Competition is good.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
We should be solid at center but need a #3 guy. I could see those guards getting a good challenge but they probably hold on due to the experience they have. Latham at RT and Steen at LT will have to perform to hold on to those spots.

Not sure what the end result will be but I'd expect some spirited competition at all five spots this fall. Won't be surprised if one of the freshmen (Pritchett/Booker) make a strong run at a spot somewhere. Competition is good.
Key to the season IMHO. I think we`re solid elsewhere. He`s not mentioned much, but it wouldn`t surprise me if Kendall Randolph plays a bigger and more important role this season. He`s like a third tackle in some sets.

Last edited:

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
Seemingly Every guy on the roster made preseason All SEC this year. Well at least the projected starters. Even Randolph, who probably will not start.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The biggest X factor this season is the new chef cooking up the meal. I refuse to believe Nick Saban and the Alabama coaches have missed on every offensive linemen evaluation out of high school over the last four years. What Wolford cooks up with the ingredients in the cupboard will determine if Alabama wins the National title.

WR and QB connectivity is a distant second.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
The biggest X factor this season is the new chef cooking up the meal. I refuse to believe Nick Saban and the Alabama coaches have missed on every offensive linemen evaluation out of high school over the last four years. What Wolford cooks up with the ingredients in the cupboard will determine if Alabama wins the National title.

WR and QB connectivity is a distant second.
Agreed, its why I can't stand idiots who think "5 star recruits = automatic National Championship" Don't get me wrong, recruiting is incredibly important. But coaching and player development are also crucial in building a champion.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Where are each of the Brockermeyer brothers in their development and progress? Anyone have any insight?
no special insight really, but coming out of spring, James appeared to be the 3rd center. He played with the 2s, but Dalcourt was out. Tommy still with the 3s also I think, behind a big group, but interestingly I think Booker beat him out for the #2 RT spot. Going to be an important year for Tommy especially if he is indeed behind booker already.

Reactions: deliveryman35

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
With Will Anderson and the "Smells Blood Like A Shark and Kills" Defense, we can tolerate an average corner more than an average OL.

I'm more hyped about this year than any since 2009. And that's saying a LOT.
Agree. I`ll be VERY surprised if anyone can make a living against us with a longer developing long passing game. I just don`t believe the front 7 will afford that kind of time.

BamaHoops

3rd Team
Jan 13, 2019
Any OT's in the house? That is our most pressing need. Damian George was a disaster in the awbarn game. Often we've had a stud frosh who started out at RT and moved to LT. That isn't going to happen this year.

Last season was the worst OL play in the Saban era since 2007 - his first year at Bama. It wasn't because there was a lack of talent. For whatever reason the OL coach couldn't get multiple 5 star blue chips to perform at their level of talent. Some say he wasn't ever "into" being here - and didn't connect with players. Maybe, maybe not. But surely we didn't fail at evaluating that many OL's who were also sought by every top level program.

I'm excited about Coach Wolford. He's turned chicken **** into chicken salad at many of his stops - most recently Kentucky.

Our 2022 OL may take a few games to gel - but the schedule allows for that. I expect we'll have a much improved OL by mid-season.

Reactions: Rush

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
With Will Anderson and the "Smells Blood Like A Shark and Kills" Defense, we can tolerate an average corner more than an average OL.

I'm more hyped about this year than any since 2009. And that's saying a LOT.
Sure, OL definitely the bigger concern but if we want truly unstoppable territory we need corners to be close to their potential.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Sure, OL definitely the bigger concern but if we want truly unstoppable territory we need corners to be close to their potential.
I'm not worried about the DBs - we have the studs back there (and the coaching to get them where they need to be) - but beyond that, I don't think the front four(ish) are going to allow the QB enough time to pressure the secondary much this year.

Reactions: Con and CrimsonRuss

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'm not worried about the DBs - we have the studs back there (and the coaching to get them where they need to be) - but beyond that, I don't think the front four(ish) are going to allow the QB enough time to pressure the secondary much this year.
Hoping for a few less PI calls this year but not optimistic. It`s been almost like our DBs are taught to face guard. But what do I know about DB technique.

Reactions: Superdad and Rush

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.