The Annual Offensive Line Discussion

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
Thank you sir, I stand corrected. I thought you had to turn your head and look for the ball. Like I said, I don`t know nothin` about DB play!

This is my biggest gripe about Kirk Herbstreit. He is always saying " the DB didn't turn their head" they don't have to, CNS teaches it, and he knows it (or should).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have two thoughts - one is that OL and QB are the two hardest positions to evaluate. Second is that the two teams I follow - Bama and Patriots - both have question marks at the same positions - OL and WR...

Reactions: Padreruf

FaninLA

2nd Team
Jul 9, 2019
Cantonment, FL
I have two thoughts - one is that OL and QB are the two hardest positions to evaluate. Second is that the two teams I follow - Bama and Patriots - both have question marks at the same positions - OL and WR...
Which could be potential problems for Bryce Young and Mac Jones!

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Pics from practice today had dalcourt and Steen in the same group. I couldn't tell if it was the 1s or 2s. If it was the ones, I'm a bit shocked dalcourt was in. If it's the 2s, I hope Steen makes his move up to the 1s soon.

Bamaglory

1st Team
Dec 8, 2005
Pics from practice today had dalcourt and Steen in the same group. I couldn't tell if it was the 1s or 2s. If it was the ones, I'm a bit shocked dalcourt was in. If it's the 2s, I hope Steen makes his move up to the 1s soon.
I think they are just moving linemen around. They do that in camp. I still think Seth M starts at center and Steen will very likely be starter at LT especially based on what CNS said today about how good the tackles have looked so far.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
If the dropoff from left tackle is manageable, and the right side shows the ability to at least slow someone down, I think we can work with that.

The new coach has to instill a will to finish a play on the right side. If he can do that he deserves a raise already.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I think they are just moving linemen around. They do that in camp. I still think Seth M starts at center and Steen will very likely be starter at LT especially based on what CNS said today about how good the tackles have looked so far.
If we can just improve our Oline play by just a notch or so, particularly in the run game (not that pass pro isn`t important but it`s easier if you can run the ball ) and don`t have what`s become our usual " devastated by key injuries " scenario, the sky`s the limit IMHO.
Can`t help but believe that going against our front 7 in practice won`t pay huge dividends when things get real. Right now we have to sweat the scrimmages and hope we don`t start the season with half our starters out.

Reactions: dtgreg

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Andrew Bone

@AndrewJBone

·
14h

Been hearing for a while that Latham has taken his game to another level in Tuscaloosa and will be a household name this fall. Have also heard a lot of praise about Tyler Steen. Alabama liked him a lot when they pursued him, but he’s been very good so far in fall camp.
Sounds like LT and RT is locked in and only compeition is Center position.

LT-Steen
LG-Cohen
C-Dalcourt or Mclaughin
RG-Ekiyor
RT-Latham

On Brockermeyer Twins- It's not too late. They're only Redshirt Freshmen. Both need a year or 2 in development phase. Three positions will open up on OL next year. I don't think they're going anywhere.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I know you have to have contact before the season but geeze, we can`t afford to lose any of these guys. LOL, I wish there was some way to prepare them without a scrimmage!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Sounds like LT and RT is locked in and only compeition is Center position.

LT-Steen
LG-Cohen
C-Dalcourt or Mclaughin
RG-Ekiyor
RT-Latham

On Brockermeyer Twins- It's not too late. They're only Redshirt Freshmen. Both need a year or 2 in development phase. Three positions will open up on OL next year. I don't think they're going anywhere.
Yep, it`s beginning to sound like 4 of the 5 starters on the O line have been hammered out.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Yep, it`s beginning to sound like 4 of the 5 starters on the O line have been hammered out.
AT this point, They probablly are looking for quality depth behind the starters.... hence mixing and matching.

Reactions: RollTide_HTTR

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
AT this point, They probablly are looking for quality depth behind the starters.... hence mixing and matching.
I would agree. The chances of NOT having to play backups during the season , particularly for us it seems, is slim and none, and slim just left town. Developing at least adequate depth in the O line may well prove to be the key to the season.

Reactions: JustNeedMe81

jjv0004

1st Team
Dec 13, 2017
Greenville, SC
Love hearing about Latham. We have him for at least 1 more year after this and we will need him since we will lose Ekiyor, Steen and Dalcourt next year.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I've been reading lots of positive comments about the new OL coach from CNS and some of the players as well. He got instant results at UK and USCe and seems to be more dialed into the college game than Marrone was. The drop in OL results last year can't have been because the returning lineman came back less talented. If he can get same improvement at Bama that he got elsewhere, hide the women and children.

Last edited:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I've been read lots of positive comments about the new OL coach from CNS and some of the players as well. He got instant results at UK and USCe and seems to be more dialed into the college game than Marrone was. The drop in OL results last year can't have been because the returning lineman came back less talented. If he can get same improvement at Bama that he got elsewhere, hide the women and children.
I’m looking forward to the new o line coach and what he can do. I read his bio on the roster page. Very impressive. I didn’t realize his son has a rare genetic disorder that only 500 people in the world have. He and his wife, who is a doctor but not sure which specialty, started a non profit called “No Stone Unturned” . Their sons name is Stone. Seems like a great non profit too.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.