Bama Game Thread: The Bad, the Good, the Ugly - Bama vs. UGA...

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Coaching is not the problem. You can suggest coaching is the issue if alot of your shots are contested and you don't have good ball movement spacing. We have had plenty enough open looks to be unbeaten right now. We shoot 35% or better at 3pt line and 75% or better at FT line and we are talking completely different.

Every rebound, every turnover, and every foul is crucial right now because our shooting is off. Our margin of error is not what it was in the beginning of the season. I think Shack and JD are not complimenting each other very well on the court right now. Both are doing a little too much dribble drive and others are standing watching which translates into not being in position to rebound. JD doesn't instinctively know how to attack the defense yet.

I think they are being coached just fine in the tactical game. I am not sure if we are expecting enough in the effort game. Our strategy is an outside in strategy and we are effective enough right now outside to operate that way. And not physical enough to play muscle ball around the rim.

This team wide shooting slump has got to end.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
Maybe (horrors!) a pullup midrange jumper?
CNO beats that shot selection out of them early. If you’re 40% from midrange, you expect 0.8 points per attempt, versus 1.05 if you shoot 35% from just behind the arc. That’s why CNO discourages the midrange shot.

From a game theory standpoint, though, you’re right up to a point. If you NEVER select the midrange, the opponent can ignore defending it, making CNO’s preferred threes and bunnies more contested. So, to get optimal point production, you should try just enough midrange shots to force opponents to defend them, thereby increasing the odds of less contested threes and layups…

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
From a game theory standpoint, though, you’re right up to a point. If you NEVER select the midrange, the opponent can ignore defending it, making CNO’s preferred threes and bunnies more contested. So, to get optimal point production, you should try just enough midrange shots to force opponents to defend them, thereby increasing the odds of less contested threes and layups…
Bingo! That is my one gripe with CNO's philosophy. IMHO you should always force the opponent to defend every inch of the court.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I think we all need to understand coach's have bad season's same as players so coach oats could be having a bad year with what he has, also we donot have that high basketball IQ like we did with Herb Jones
I think CNO having a bad year is the least likely explanation. We lost a lot of leadership, we lost a lottery pick, we lost our best shooter before the season began, we don't have that alpha to kick everyone's butt, etc.

I read where after the UGA game CNO came in the locker room and said he was done talking after these losses. He wanted them to tell him what was wrong.

irvingtontide

3rd Team
Sep 5, 2019
I think CNO having a bad year is the least likely explanation. We lost a lot of leadership, we lost a lottery pick, we lost our best shooter before the season began, we don't have that alpha to kick everyone's butt, etc.

I read where after the UGA game CNO came in the locker room and said he was done talking after these losses. He wanted them to tell him what was wrong.
Yea I saw that interview. He said he was done talking after these losses and wanted them to tell him what was wrong. He said that they had a good talk. This team is no doubt frustrating they have holes in their game but the team that beat Gonzaga and Houston is still there it’s just Nate has to get it out of them. Here’s hoping the talk maybe puts a pep in there step and they give 100 from start to finish these next few games they will need it to win.

Do we have any word for when Gary will be back? With miles out we need him back in rotation.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
These things happen, especially in CBB. As much as a team can prepare and be coached up ... the coach can't play the game for them. A lot of the issues this team is facing is based off of attitude and desire. JQ hit the nail on the head when he said he thinks this team plays better when their backs are against the wall. The problem is that mentality and attitude usually comes with losses as well. Until they make up their mind as a team that they want to go out and prove that they are the best night in and out ... its going to be a short and underperforming season.

They can turn it around ... I'm just concerned that some of the individual attitude issues won't change this season which is a shame. I'm still here for the ride though so lets see what they accomplish starting with Baylor Saturday

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
I'd suggest, before popping off once again, that you check how long Grant and Johnson got - without making the Sweet Sixteen. I'd suggest you take a little time and rethink next time...
I hope and pray that this years team gets it together my goal in life before I leave this world to see us make a Final 4 and maybe win NC.

Reactions: seebell

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
For all of those leaving the bandwagon, go check out Pearl's record in his first 3 years at Auburn.
That’s because it took Bruce time to navigate the Yellawood Forest and find the pots of gold to share with the unfortunate 5* players who “happened” to be transported to the unlikely spot of Lee County.

Oats, is dealing with a moody PG, a short dribble drive guard, a scared center, and a phenom PG who seems to not be able to pass or dribble very well.

Looking at the players Nate has recruited, which one appears to be playing up to their star level?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
That’s because it took Bruce time to navigate the Yellawood Forest and find the pots of gold to share with the unfortunate 5* players who “happened” to be transported to the unlikely spot of Lee County.

Oats, is dealing with a moody PG, a short dribble drive guard, a scared center, and a phenom PG who seems to not be able to pass or dribble very well.

Looking at the players Nate has recruited, which one appears to be playing up to their star level?
Add to that the fact that Q and Shack don't complement each other the way they should or even as well as last season. They've turned selfish. When one drives, now the other all too frequently just stands and watches. I really think that more time needs to be put into Johnson starting with Shack and JD, with Q always coming off the bench...

Reactions: CrimsonEyeshade

TDBama78

All-American
Jul 11, 2007
The line for Saturday is out,,,,Baylor -4. Total- 152 1/2. Which team are we going to see sat??,,,, I'm leaning Baylor. Baylor can rebound.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Add to that the fact that Q and Shack don't complement each other the way they should or even as well as last season. They've turned selfish. When one drives, now the other all too frequently just stands and watches. I really think that more time needs to be put into Johnson starting with Shack and JD, with Q always coming off the bench...
Last year I think we were in a "the sum is greater than the parts," situation. It seems like as the wheels have come off, the opposite has become true.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
These things happen, especially in CBB. As much as a team can prepare and be coached up ... the coach can't play the game for them. A lot of the issues this team is facing is based off of attitude and desire. JQ hit the nail on the head when he said he thinks this team plays better when their backs are against the wall. The problem is that mentality and attitude usually comes with losses as well. Until they make up their mind as a team that they want to go out and prove that they are the best night in and out ... its going to be a short and underperforming season.
BV, we had our backs against the wall in Athens. What happened? The supposed strength of our team -- an experienced and talented back court -- made one inexplicably bad decision or play on trip after trip after trip up the court. They got out-hustled, out-composured and out-performed.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.