The decline of the American Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
So the military should release vulnerabilities so the enemy has them? Got it. Smart.
If a guy dressed as a viking can waltz in and be a "terrorist" then that goes beyond vulnerabilities. That's just idiocy and we deserve to be overthrown by Iran or Russia if that's all it takes. Just sayin.....

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
So does everyone else. Why not suggest a better alternative? That’s what I’m really looking for.
I'm calling BS. This is what's wrong with this thread. You, Bodhi, and others refuse to recognize that one major news network is eminently more dangerous than the others.

Only one major network supported the election fraud.

Only one major network supports authoritarian dictators.

Only one major network was busted last week for broadcasting news they knew to be false.

Only one major network supports right wing conspiracy theorists.

Only one major network sewed seeds of doubt on Covid vaccines directly leading to the deaths of thousands.

Fox News flaws are so bad they could be considered crimes, yet you continue to lump them in with networks that actually broadcast news rather than constant lies and opinions.

Wake the hell up.

If the footage is not sensitive, release it to the American people. If it is sensitive, the information should not be released at all.

Wake the hell up.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think some people here are missing the nuance necessary for this not to become a L vs R fight, which will get us nowhere.

The main issue here is some folks feel that Faux News is at an entirely different level than the others wrt blatantly lying to its audience in order to coax them along a belief pathway. That's where I am. Faux News is head and shoulders above every other large news group wrt lying, undermining facts, misleading people in ways that harm not just the republic, but directly hurts the viewers. I firmly believe watching Faux News 'dumbs people down', causing them to allow their critical thinking skills to atrophy.

That said, most every other popular media group is also biased, lying, etc., but to a MUCH lesser degree.

I contend that BOTH are extremely harmful as the 'fourth branch' of our government is supposed to exist for the purpose of relaying the truth to people. Is Faux News far worse than the other? IMO, yes. But it feels like the disagreement over how much worse is taking over the convo, which in turn has become more tribal in nature.

If we cannot talk about things - even those that include a lot of politics - without leaving our own personal biases at the door, we may as well just make the thread about L vs R, or how bad FN is for the republic, or whatever.

But the reality is while FN is the worst at this - by a long shot, imo - all of the major mainstream media groups are dropping the ball wrt reporting facts with as little bias as possible.

And that's a real problem.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I think some people here are missing the nuance necessary for this not to become a L vs R fight, which will get us nowhere.

The main issue here is some folks feel that Faux News is at an entirely different level than the others wrt blatantly lying to its audience in order to coax them along a belief pathway. That's where I am. Faux News is head and shoulders above every other large news group wrt lying, undermining facts, misleading people in ways that harm not just the republic, but directly hurts the viewers. I firmly believe watching Faux News 'dumbs people down', causing them to allow their critical thinking skills to atrophy.

That said, most every other popular media group is also biased, lying, etc., but to a MUCH lesser degree.

I contend that BOTH are extremely harmful as the 'fourth branch' of our government is supposed to exist for the purpose of relaying the truth to people. Is Faux News far worse than the other? IMO, yes. But it feels like the disagreement over how much worse is taking over the convo, which in turn has become more tribal in nature.

If we cannot talk about things - even those that include a lot of politics - without leaving our own personal biases at the door, we may as well just make the thread about L vs R, or how bad FN is for the republic, or whatever.

But the reality is while FN is the worst at this - by a long shot, imo - all of the major mainstream media groups are dropping the ball wrt reporting facts with as little bias as possible.

I agree.

And the format in which news is delivered is terrible.

You get 3second sound bites bookended by the partisan arguments on the soundbite.

24 hour news outlets have all the time in the world and the news is boiled down to that: a 3 second soundbite and bickering.

They could dive into stories deeply and discuss the nuances of the stories but choose not to do so.

This is one area where NPR stands above the others.

Someone may not like their mild slant, but they do calmly and deliberately discuss nuance and detail without as much hyperbole on a regular basis.

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
Slight correction is in order here. This isn't a L vs R argument; it's establishment vs anti-establishment. I know that's a small distinction to most, but it means a lot to me.

Much? I'm not willing to go that far. Yes, Fox News is completely full of crap, but I fail to see a difference between them and MSNBC.

Absolutely it is and that's why I started the media thread. We ALL know that Fox is utter nonsense, but for the very life of me, I don't understand why more people don't see the media in general with a more disdainful eye. It's ALL propaganda and I think deep in our hearts, we know this. I haven't watched cable news in years. Not that NYT and WaPo is any better. Is there a credible news source anywhere?

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Much? I'm not willing to go that far. Yes, Fox News is completely full of crap, but I fail to see a difference between them and MSNBC.
And there we go.

And the space gets flooded with hot takes that lack nuance (or crap, as some might call it), which then sucks all the oxygen out of the room.

It's the same crap Trump thrived on.

And it's how the media as a whole operates.

I'm beginning to think that ignoring such nonsense may be a better alternative so the adults can have a reasoned well balanced in depth discussion.

• Haha
Reactions: CrimsonJazz

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Some of you just keep feeding the trolls that claim not to be right wing but, constantly post right wing junk.

Anyone that thinks giving this footage solely to Fox News is a good thing has lost their mind. The facts are clear as day to reasonable people, J6 was an insurrection led by Trump trying to hold onto power. Anyone denying that is living in a dream world.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

Non biased news outlets - ABC, NBC, CBS, AP, Christian Science Monitor, maybe NPR, and perhaps a couple others. That's about it.

Reactions: Go Bama

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
Some of you just keep feeding the trolls that claim not to be right wing but, constantly post right wing junk.

Anyone that thinks giving this footage solely to Fox News is a good thing has lost their mind. The facts are clear as day to reasonable people, J6 was an insurrection led by Trump trying to hold onto power. Anyone denying that is living in a dream world.
I don't think anyone has suggested that giving the footage to FN is a good thing. I just wanted it released, period. The idea that releasing said footage is a national security issue is just nonsense, IMO.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
Just 26% of Americans surveyed told Gallup they have a favorable view of the news media, the lowest level ever recorded.
View attachment 32236
Most believe the media don’t care about them and are intentionally misleading.
View attachment 32237
Now, we all know that bias has always existed. Despite this, we used to trust the media to a certain degree anyway. In your opinion, what has changed?
The FCC abolishing the Fairness Doctrine

Reactions: CrimsonJazz

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee

Of course, you are right.

I have become frustrated with the silliness of a few arguments in the last couple of days and have let my frustration get the best of me.

My apologies to the board. I will try to post with a more favorable temper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.