The decline of the GOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
since the other thread closed this is a good start for the new one

disagree at the end here though, the party needs to be scrapped with something else in its place. It is a cult that is too far gone to ever get back to reality imo

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I left the Republican Party after the Tea Party took over. I think the insurrection has effectively changed the GOP from the party of law and order and fiscal responsibility to the party of extreme Christianity and isolation.
I finally left after the Clinton impeachment overreach debacle but Reagan's economic policies was the 1st shoe to drop. Dems aren't any better so I have stayed an independent. As bad as party politics have become, the last 3 1/2 years have been horrendous. Its not all trump's fault though. The internet has made it way too easy for wackos to find others with wacko extremists policies to feed the confirmation bias thirst.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i started souring on the repubs after newt's contract for america. i gave up completely on them and stopped taking anything they said seriously not long after 9/11.

Reactions: GrayTide

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
I haven't left the Republican Party because I have never joined it. I'm not a member of any party. I just try to vote for the candidate that more closely aligns with my views. On financial issues that is most of the time a Republican, but not always. On social issues that is usually a Democrat, but not always. I just end up voting for the one I feel is going to be less worse, in my opinion. For the 2020 presidential election that is clearly Biden.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
i started souring on the repubs after newt's contract for america. i gave up completely on them and stopped taking anything they said seriously not long after 9/11.
Absolutely, Gingrich and his contract with America in 1994 was the last straw for me. He, IMO, is as big a piece of garbage as Trump. You read my mind, I guess I am new here.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I could get past the social issues for the lip service paid to fiscal responsibility, even though I'm very socially liberal. And I tend hawkish. I wanted us to go into Darfur to help people.
I know we can't help everyone. And as an individual, it's taken me 40 years to realize that I can't help everyone.
But Trump, then Roy Moore showed me just what people could support if they had an R by their name.
I can't.
I would rather have someone I disagree with, but is for the most part honest. They may see a different direction for our state or country, but I value integrity- even if it's an opposite opinion.
It matters.
I'm middle of the road, slight left, slight libertarian moderate. There's no political home. And that's ok too. I just want to not think about it every day. I want boring.

Rolltide51

1st Team
Nov 24, 2019
I could get past the social issues for the lip service paid to fiscal responsibility, even though I'm very socially liberal. And I tend hawkish. I wanted us to go into Darfur to help people.
I know we can't help everyone. And as an individual, it's taken me 40 years to realize that I can't help everyone.
But Trump, then Roy Moore showed me just what people could support if they had an R by their name.
I can't.
I would rather have someone I disagree with, but is for the most part honest. They may see a different direction for our state or country, but I value integrity- even if it's an opposite opinion.
It matters.
I'm middle of the road, slight left, slight libertarian moderate. There's no political home. And that's ok too. I just want to not think about it every day. I want boring.
i long for the days when i can come to TideFans just to check to see if there have been any injuries or suspensions. stress free day if there haven't been.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I haven't left the Republican Party because I have never joined it. I'm not a member of any party. I just try to vote for the candidate that more closely aligns with my views. On financial issues that is most of the time a Republican, but not always. On social issues that is usually a Democrat, but not always. I just end up voting for the one I feel is going to be less worse, in my opinion. For the 2020 presidential election that is clearly Biden.
This is where I’m at as well and find many in my age group (late 30s) to feel the same. I’ve usually been fairly conservative fiscally &
socially. One thing that became clear to me was the party I was “supposed to vote for” didn’t share my beliefs/convictions.

Usually when I get into a political discussions with people both sides are upset with me. It’s then that I know I’ve done my duty as free thinking American 🇺🇸.

Last edited:
Reactions: MobtownK

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I left a little earlier but yeah same
In actuality I probably left earlier than the Tea Party in terms of actual support. I think what really made me start questioning my commitment for me was probably the whole 2008 campaign. I have great respect for John McCain, but good god Palin.... I knew before Palin that the GOP electorate was moving further and further right, but I didn't think it would be that soon before they were in position to take power. I still didn't want to take the leap to the otherside just yet, and I had hope that the GOP would move on from the Palins and Pauls of the world so I gave them another chance. But the Tea Party threatening my check over health insurance while I was overseas fighting their war was when I said "enough".

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Finally dug into this QAnon stuff today as I thought I had a handle on it, but didn't realize how big it's gotten. It's shocking how many people on FB are, without even referencing QA, spouting / reposting stuff regarding sex trafficking. I wondered why there had been such an uptick in concern regarding trafficking (I mean, who is against stopping trafficking? But...).

Now I get it. These people are crazy. They'll believe ANYTHING if it means they haven't made bad choices regarding their past voting.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
more evidence of decline, another Q moron going to dc

we gave 'em newt, bob barr, etc., why shouldn't georgia lead them on to the next level of crazy

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Finally dug into this QAnon stuff today as I thought I had a handle on it, but didn't realize how big it's gotten. It's shocking how many people on FB are, without even referencing QA, spouting / reposting stuff regarding sex trafficking. I wondered why there had been such an uptick in concern regarding trafficking (I mean, who is against stopping trafficking? But...).

Now I get it. These people are crazy. They'll believe ANYTHING if it means they haven't made bad choices regarding their past voting.
Well, our current president wishes them well....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.