The decline of the GOP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I have an evangelical relative who is convinced this is the apocalypse, but at the same time speaks out against wearing masks, & has managed to weave Q conspiracies into the version of Christianity.
And people wonder why people have either left the church or rail against it.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Reactions: seebell

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
'Donald Trump and his family are grifters,' he said. 'He has created the first grifter presidency in the history of the United States in which his purpose in running for the presidency and exercising the powers of the presidency - the fundamental reason is to bail himself and his family out.'

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

It's truly amazing to me how they cannot see their chances of winning Georgia INCREASE if they'd simply fall into line with the Constitution. THIS level of fear is ludicrous.

Maybe it's because we have so few nowadays who ever actually faced enemy fire in the real world.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Lord, what an incisive article, a must read - "The Rotting of the Republican Mind," by David Brooks...

NYT
My son and I were talking about how so many people in America could feel so disenfranchised that they would allow themselves to accept anything to change that feeling. They want a "win" in life, and they want it to come at the expense of those who they feel have been party to their disenfranchisement.

This author sums it up so: If I imagine my foes are completely malevolent, then I can use any tactic I want.

So, how do we fix it? IMO, it is not by trying to change their minds about their politics - it is about giving them hope. So, how do we make them feel like they and their children have a future in the America that we are trying to build together?

Reactions: UAH and TIDE-HSV

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
My son and I were talking about how so many people in America could feel so disenfranchised that they would allow themselves to accept anything to change that feeling. They want a "win" in life, and they want it to come at the expense of those who they feel have been party to their disenfranchisement.

This author sums it up so: If I imagine my foes are completely malevolent, then I can use any tactic I want.

So, how do we fix it? IMO, it is not by trying to change their minds about their politics - it is about giving them hope. So, how do we make them feel like they and their children have a future in the America that we are trying to build together?
The "funny" thing is that the policies they support tend too often to make their situation worse instead of better although they tend to believe the opposite.

The middle class has been declining for decades as we've shifted to more of a service economy.

How do we expand opportunity while increasing wages and building a better safety net?

Reactions: UAH and B1GTide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The "funny" thing is that the policies they support tend too often to make their situation worse instead of better although they tend to believe the opposite.

The middle class has been declining for decades as we've shifted to more of a service economy.

How do we expand opportunity while increasing wages and building a better safety net?
Other countries make the people on the lower end of the economy feel enfranchised by providing basic care. They still have worries, but not as many. In America, if you are poor, everything about your life is difficult. Half the population cannot afford something as simple as an unplanned car repair. Get sick and you are ruined financially.

I do not blame people in certain socioeconomic circumstances for wanting to rebel. Separate but equal - that is their America, and it is just as much a disenfranchised existence as that which minorities have dealt with.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Other countries make the people on the lower end of the economy feel enfranchised by providing basic care. They still have worries, but not as many. In America, if you are poor, everything about your life is difficult. Half the population cannot afford something as simple as an unplanned car repair. Get sick and you are ruined financially.

I do not blame people in certain socioeconomic circumstances for wanting to rebel. Separate but equal - that is their America, and it is just as much a disenfranchised existence as that which minorities have dealt with.
You beat me to it by a bit. I'm having to play "sous" to my wife in the kitchen. It's complicated, even for just the two of us this year. Germany, for an example, prizes skilled manual labor. We don't. Demographics are all on our side and we're squandering that advantage...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

The futures of many of them were shipped to China primarily as a result of insatiable greed. Many were in declining segments like coal mining. I tend to believe that in the years ahead we are going to produce many more people without the qualifications to participate in our economy rather than less. Without a strategy to create real manufacturing jobs in this economy and a massive commitment to prepare workers for the future jobs the standard of living for the working class will decline steadily here. It is an uncomfortable truth and will never be addressed if we continue to change directions 90 degrees every four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.