News Article: The Eyes of PR Are Upon You

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Texas hires first black band director

The University of Texas has hired the first Black director of the Longhorn marching band one month after it announced the band will be required to perform "The Eyes of Texas" school song that has drawn sharp criticism over racist elements in its past.
You remember, of course, the whole song controversy?

A university report in March concluded there was "no racist intent" behind the song, despite its roots in early 1900s minstrel shows with musicians often in blackface. The school of music said in April that the marching band and pep band will be required to play the song, and a separate band will be created for music students who don't want to perform it.
A separate but equal band, no doubt.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
Texas hires first black band director

You remember, of course, the whole song controversy?

A separate but equal band, no doubt.
Not a race issue - but my Mom found my HS report cards... I got a D in choir because I could sing, but argued over the merits of singing religious songs in public school and refused to sing them.. Eventually I just got high every day before choir so I'd chill and stop arguing - that may also have had an effect on my grades....

There was no separate choir - it was religious songs or flunk out.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Not a race issue - but my Mom found my HS report cards... I got a D in choir because I could sing, but argued over the merits of singing religious songs in public school and refused to sing them.. Eventually I just got high every day before choir so I'd chill and stop arguing - that may also have had an effect on my grades....

There was no separate choir - it was religious songs or flunk out.
but could you still sing ;)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Our two "experienced" paddlers on the Gauley were out of their gourds all the way down. Everyone huddled around me and my maps. At least, the rest of us had brains enough to wait until the end of the day. It's a well-known killer river...
i loved boating the upper gauley, but there were a few pucker spots for sure. and a couple of them pretty inconspicuous.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Our two "experienced" paddlers on the Gauley were out of their gourds all the way down. Everyone huddled around me and my maps. At least, the rest of us had brains enough to wait until the end of the day. It's a well-known killer river...
That would be horrifying on the river. I love maps too.
End of day is definitely the way to go. HS kids generally aren't strong on logic. I was no exception.

• Haha
Reactions: 92tide

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
i loved boating the upper gauley, but there were a few pucker spots for sure. and a couple of them pretty inconspicuous.

We went on the Coosa near every week in college. One time at night in winter. Absolutely wild. I loved it.

I'm buying a new kayak tomorrow for fishing the marshes & me & my sister are planning a kayak camping trip in the upper delta in fall.

Reactions: TIDE-HSV and 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
That would be horrifying on the river. I love maps too.
End of day is definitely the way to go. HS kids generally aren't strong on logic. I was no exception.
i always hung out with raft guides and river rats, so we didn't always wait until the end. ;) i definitely waited until apres river on 4+ stuff/creek boating, or if running unusually high flows on the chattooga, though.

i had a buddy who worked at southeastern on the chattooga a few summers, it was pretty much a non-stop party up there.

iirc, earle's daughter worked there at one point.

Reactions: MobtownK

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
i always hung out with raft guides and river rats, so we didn't always wait until the end. ;) i definitely waited until apres river on 4+ stuff/creek boating, or if running unusually high flows on the chattooga, though.

i had a buddy who worked at southeastern on the chattooga a few summers, it was pretty much a non-stop party up there.

iirc, earle's daughter worked there at one point.
She did. She moved over to the Ocoee and Sunburst to escape a bad relationship. When we had the travel trailer on the reservation, I safety-boated some for SE on the Chatooga. In fact, when I ran the GC, it was with a SE group. Fun times. The Gauley trip was loosely organized by Sunburst - Mark Hunt and his partner. Mark was an interesting character. Dead way too young...

Reactions: 92tide

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Sweet's Falls almost ate my lunch. I rolled at the bottom and started over towards where everyone else was on river left. Then I realized they were jumping up and down and pointing downstream toward a huge boulder. Where they were was not an eddy after all. All the river was going under the rock, which was divided in the middle with about a 3' wide gap in the middle. Determined not to go under that rock in my boat, I ejected. They said later I sprang up in the air at least a yard. It was dark a long time under that rock. Thank God, there was no strainer debris underneath. When I surfaced, it was in a real, large eddy below the undercut. My boat was floating there with the rear sticking up in the air like a scorpion. I jumped up and down on it and straightened it out except for the ridge across right behind the cockpit. Quite an adventure...

Reactions: MobtownK and 92tide

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
She did. She moved over to the Ocoee and Sunburst to escape a bad relationship. When we had the travel trailer on the reservation, I safety-boated some for SE on the Chatooga. In fact, when I ran the GC, it was with a SE group. Fun times. The Gauley trip was loosely organized by Sunburst - Mark Hunt and his partner. Mark was an interesting character. Dead way too young...
i had another friend who worked for sunburst on the ocoee during the summer and then would work fall>christmas for us at patagonia

Reactions: MobtownK

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Sweet's Falls almost ate my lunch. I rolled at the bottom and started over towards where everyone else was on river left. Then I realized they were jumping up and down and pointing downstream toward a huge boulder. Where they were was not an eddy after all. All the river was going under the rock, which was divided in the middle with about a 3' wide gap in the middle. Determined not to go under that rock in my boat, I ejected. They said later I sprang up in the air at least a yard. It was dark a long time under that rock. Thank God, there was no strainer debris underneath. When I surfaced, it was in a real, large eddy below the undercut. My boat was floating there with the rear sticking up in the air like a scorpion. I jumped up and down on it and straightened it out except for the ridge across right behind the cockpit. Quite an adventure...
thankfully, i never had any serious issues on the gauley. the first time i ran it, though, the meadow was super high due to heavy rainfall the night before, so the river volume increased by a huge chunk for lost paddle.

i folded a boat in the middle of jawbone once, on the river left eddy right above hydroelectric rock. it wasn't a pleasant experience, but i was head out of water and my buddy was able to run back up the bank and give me a hand out of my boat. mine folded right behind the cockpit too, it took a couple of us jumping on it to get it flat enough to paddle across the lake.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.