Bama Game Thread: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Bama vs. LSU...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Today was a 95% chance of losing. LSU too good on defense, we have been too careless with the ball all year. We did a lot of things poorly today and still should/could have won. Too bad zebras stole that in regulation and the no call on Ellis getting hammered on the 3. Now we are headed for a first round exit in SECT (the matchups don’t favor us in the first game) and then the BIG question this entire season has been building towards all year - which team shows up…UCLA last year or Bama circa last 20 years? Will be all about match ups. Even with horrible 3 point shooting m, we can win. Will be all about defense and limited TOs.

Good: made LSU earn the win; FT shooting
Bad: Shack, he cannot be having games like this late in the season, avg game and we win easy, fact he was benched entire OT says something and it’s not that he was 0-fer on 3’s
Ugly: can a team have a negative basketball IQ?
Who would have thought Rojas would have been on the court for the entire OT? It was an interesting set, obviously whom he trust the most on defense...

Reactions: CB4 and ROCKEE

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Oats is a big improvement over previous administrations. I am concerned this year that we never improved as the year went along. We actually started to decline after beating Florida on the road. 11-3 after that win. 8-9 since. Wish I knew what really happened. A real shame because the last two months ain't been much fun.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I never expected us to win this game so I’m not let down. I’m still let down about A&M because that one was more indicative of where this team is at.

Perhaps the new scenery of the postseason will benefit us.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Oats is a big improvement over previous administrations. I am concerned this year that we never improved as the year went along. We actually started to decline after beating Florida on the road. 11-3 after that win. 8-9 since. Wish I knew what really happened. A real shame because the last two months ain't been much fun.
I hope it's just unfortunate personnel mix, rather than systemic. Oats' system really requires that 4 of 5 shoot at least a decent three - not be a burner, low to mid 30s will do. But it has to be everyone but the #5 and it'd be better if he could also. Another requirement is solid defense. We've really had neither the second half of the season. We don't have that yet, particularly the second half of the season. It's really a different personnel mix than the "standard"...

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
Funny how we always seem to have a new poster after a loss. Anyone who mentions NIT and this team honestly doesn't understand enough.

As I mentioned I think start of conference play or heck may have been after Iona we knew Oats was still learning and we saw that again today. We have a couple losses on coaching this year. Most others on players effort. I am happy we have him and not a guy like Wade. I think Oats will actually keep growing. We are in the best hands since I have been alive for bball so I will take it.

I will admit I bought into the hype coming into the year. We had an experienced team at all the right positions with JQ a 3rd year in the system PG 4th year overall, Shack 3rd year at the 2, and we had Ellis and a healthy Gary. But unfortunately (excluding injuries in this post) we did not have the leadership. I do not think JQ is the PG to run the system mentally. I really like the guy hope him the best but this system needs a true PG and JQ would be better as a scorer like last year. Shack is a better role player as well and my goodness needs to drive stronger and stop going away from contact if he ever wants a foul. JD may not be as good as we had hoped but at least he has some of the best and consistent effort this year and best rebounding, better than most our bigs. Got to think the team plays like they practice and that's inconstant/up and down.

Just a learning year for everyone staff and players but on the rise. Just playing with house money for the tournament at this point meaning they should not feel pressure and play free. Hopefully fun to watch and go out with a high effort bang.

Next year should/could have a more true PG to help run the system. Depending on injuries of course. (knocks on wood.)

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Who would have thought Rojas would have been on the court for the entire OT? It was an interesting set, obviously whom he trust the most on defense...
Probably the very same reason that Shack was on the bench the entire OT. Defense….

I remember as a young kid playing the game having a coach that drilled in our heads (holding up a basketball) “You see this thing? This thing is gold. If you have it, you want to keep it (limit turnovers). If the other guys has it, you need to go get it (pressure defense). You guys think that you score off your offense. Wrong. The best teams score off their defense. And the points you score off defense are some of the easiest points you can score. You want to be a “scorer”? Then (expletive) take care of the ball and play defense.”

That was 50 years ago. And yes the game has changed a lot. But I think there is still some things fundamentally true about what Coach H taught us that still holds true today.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Sometimes you just don't have good chemistry on a team and that looks like what we are dealing with. If anything, Coach probably needs to limit even more playing time based on defensive effort even if the player is hitting his shots.

bama1992#1

Suspended
Sep 9, 2001
I’m a Nate Oats guy too but we wouldn’t be 9-9 with 10 other SEC coaches with this roster. Still glad he’s our coach and hope he will be for a long time, we’ll just have to be patient while he grows in-game coaching, player rotation, roster management, and recruiting high IQ, defensive mindset players. He’ll figure it out. All that and he has us in the NCCAT back-to-back. Despite all the issues of this season and this team, we are no longer lost in the wilderness of college basketball. one of the best moves he can make after the season is find a big man like Kessler and a gritty guard like KD Johnson.
I don't it would be much different honestly. JD played scared most of the time andales bad descisions (he's not a point guard and at this point I don't know what he is). Was overrated out of high school for sure. Our guard play in general is below average at the point and two guard. Someone said if we had Kessler or Oscar from Kentucky we would be final four. Not even close with these guards. All the skill in the world doesn't make up for carelessness, bad descisions and low IQ. Herb took alot of pressure off these guards last season especially later in the season. Kind of masked there problems and we don't have that type of leader or a leader period. These guys listened to Herb and Petty late in games last year. No leader or Alpha . Going to be a 14 loss season and that's pretty sad.

Reactions: GboyBama

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I believe JD played in a 2A classification in high school here in Alabama, averaged over 30 points and double digits rebounds per game. I sometimes wonder if players that “did it all” in high school have a difficult time adjusting in college to a situation with comparable talent around then and learning to let the game “come to them”? I know he played AAU but I sometimes question how much true development happens in AAU versus it being more of a “talent showcase”.

There is little question about JD’s skill level. And I don’t second guess the kid’s effort. He does play hard. However he goes from “wow” moments to “huh” moments far too frequently. To me, he looks more comfortable in transition than in a half court set. And that is how more and more teams will defend versus a Nate Oats’ system; control pace, don’t allowed Alabama to speed you up, and make Alabama run offense in a half court game.

Next season he needs to take the next step of “playing smarter”, understanding he just needs to do his job and doesn’t need to “be everything all the time”.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I do remember Herb playing point some last year...
Yeah, Herb was actually our starting point guard. Next year you will likely see Brandon Miller in that role a lot too. Jaden Bradley will technically be our point guard, but Oats likes lengthy physical guards taking it to the rim. That’s when this offense is at its best.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I believe JD played in a 2A classification in high school here in Alabama, averaged over 30 points and double digits rebounds per game. I sometimes wonder if players that “did it all” in high school have a difficult time adjusting in college to a situation with comparable talent around then and learning to let the game “come to them”? I know he played AAU but I sometimes question how much true development happens in AAU versus it being more of a “talent showcase”.

There is little question about JD’s skill level. And I don’t second guess the kid’s effort. He does play hard. However he goes from “wow” moments to “huh” moments far too frequently. To me, he looks more comfortable in transition than in a half court set. And that is how more and more teams will defend versus a Nate Oats’ system; control pace, don’t allowed Alabama to speed you up, and make Alabama run offense in a half court game.

Next season he needs to take the next step of “playing smarter”, understanding he just needs to do his job and doesn’t need to “be everything all the time”.
i too wonder about the development with some AAU coaching. Seems at times it may be about the coaches ego vs training players to be better players.
The thing with Davison, he is really athletic, and was thought by some to be one and done. I’m afraid someone will convince Davison to go pro and end up in Europe.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Rojas was in because LSU was playing small. They had Darius Days at the 5 and he is basically a stretch 4. Days can also get to the rim off the bounce, but he can also shoot the 3, and post up very well. You have to play a big on him. Well, out of all of our bigs, Rojas is the best perimeter defender. Our issue wasn’t Rojas, it was screens LSU was setting to get switches onto a guard. You almost have no choice but to switch because if you don’t someone is getting a wide open shot. Days is a very good screen setter. We used to do this last year with Herb to get mismatches for him. We really just don’t have that type of player this year.

Reactions: dayhiker

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.