Bama Game Thread: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Bama vs. LSU...

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Sometimes you just don't have good chemistry on a team and that looks like what we are dealing with. If anything, Coach probably needs to limit even more playing time based on defensive effort even if the player is hitting his shots.
This is my point of view about this team. We are a talented team and CNO has not forgotten how to coach. When you have a leadership void and no chemistry (and possibly attitiude problems) it does not matter how good of players you have or how good a coach you are. See Kentucky last year and thank goodness it has not been that bad.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I've been trying to put my finger on why this team is so maddening, and the best I can come up with is that the sum neither exceeds nor equals the whole of its parts. Too many key contributors go missing for long stretches or have horrid mental lapses/engage in lazy ball-handling. Leadership and chemistry are sporadic at best. There's not a guy that will always carry the team and will them to a win. For all that, they've notched some great wins over some of the best teams in the country.

Oats has quickly brought Bama hoops to a point I wasn't sure we'd see again any time soon. Last season's success and the ensuing hype raised expectations a little to high and disguised that, for all his obvious ability, he's still one of the less experienced HC's in a league with Cal, Pearl, Howland, Barnes, etc. I expect him to learn from this season, adapt his player evaluation/development and in-game management.

For all the frustration this season has brought, the future is bright, and I think Oats is the guy to take us where we want the program to go.
Perfect. I imagine practices look like a Final Four shoe in, then they step on the court with the lights on and throw the ball into the stands, throw the ball to the other team, and drive under the hoop with three guys between them and a safe pass. Nate always looks like someone switched teams on him lol.

Reactions: seebell

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
First time seeing the team live. I was close to the Bama bench and able to watch things pretty closely.

Some notes

1. Oats over-coaches. Let them play. He’s so busy yelling instructions to them that they can’t stay focused. Saw it several times.

2. Shack was not 100%. He had to come back in at the end but shouldn’t have. He wasn’t in condition to play. Looks like he was under the weather most of the game

3. The bench stands most is the game and is very supportive. I saw more hugs and good-will towards fellow players and coaches. The team appears to be very close.

4. Q was playing very hard. Very tuned in. He was the first to check on Miles and checked on him during commercial breaks until he was back in.

5. Keon played great

6. Rojas gets called for a lot of phantom calls. Not sure why.

7. LSU fans are classless. Actually booed Miles as he walked off after the injury. Pretty sad.

8. The game turned when we were up by 5, Daze missed the bad three, and we had the numbers, missed a 3, then threw the ball away. Make that 3 we kill LSUs will

Overall. Team is close. They care about each other. Very supportive. Coaches too. Oats often hugs the guys, talks to them very “fatherly” when they are down, etc

Different perspective than what I see on TV. Glad I was able to go. Sorry I couldn’t will us through on the road.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Well, if this is the case, then it speaks to lack of on-court leadership and accountability.

First time seeing the team live. I was close to the Bama bench and able to watch things pretty closely.

Some notes

1. Oats over-coaches. Let them play. He’s so busy yelling instructions to them that they can’t stay focused. Saw it several times.

2. Shack was not 100%. He had to come back in at the end but shouldn’t have. He wasn’t in condition to play. Looks like he was under the weather most of the game

3. The bench stands most is the game and is very supportive. I saw more hugs and good-will towards fellow players and coaches. The team appears to be very close.

4. Q was playing very hard. Very tuned in. He was the first to check on Miles and checked on him during commercial breaks until he was back in.

5. Keon played great

6. Rojas gets called for a lot of phantom calls. Not sure why.

7. LSU fans are classless. Actually booed Miles as he walked off after the injury. Pretty sad.

8. The game turned when we were up by 5, Daze missed the bad three, and we had the numbers, missed a 3, then threw the ball away. Make that 3 we kill LSUs will

Overall. Team is close. They care about each other. Very supportive. Coaches too. Oats often hugs the guys, talks to them very “fatherly” when they are down, etc

Different perspective than what I see on TV. Glad I was able to go. Sorry I couldn’t will us through on the road.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Especially when you realize that in the first half they run the offense on the other side of the court.

I think he’s trying too hard to Coach them
Still a young coach. Still learning.

Thank you for sharing; it helps. All this time I've been thinking the team just doesn't click together. Personality conflicts.

irvingtontide

3rd Team
Sep 5, 2019
Still a young coach. Still learning.

Thank you for sharing; it helps. All this time I've been thinking the team just doesn't click together. Personality conflicts.
I think this is what people have to remember. He was coaching high school not long ago. Oats has a lot of room for growth yet he has us heading in a good direction already. He recruits at a high level also. Give him a few more years and I’m sure he will not only have fine tuned his system but how he himself coaches. The future looks bright with CNO at the helm.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.