Bama Game Thread: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Bama vs. UK...

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Someone in the game thread made the point that Oats is still relatively inexperienced as a big-conference head coach, and it’s shown this season. Listening to his post-game presser, I’m not sure he has an answer right now. When you build your offense on the 3, and your team is the worst 3-point-shooting team in the league (and almost 300th nationally), you need to have another way to score in your bag of tricks. Also, there’s nothing wrong with playing Incarnate Word early in the season to sort things out and build some depth.

Last edited:

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
The CNO philosophy requires a team to be able to shoot 35%-ish from behind the ark. This team can’t, consistently. 10% tonight is horrendous, but most losses they’re in the mid-20s. Unless you think the team will suddenly get hot from 3pt range, CNO ought at least to consider altering shot selection for this team…

Countrytider2

1st Team
Oct 25, 2021
I’m not giving up on this team yet. I am worried about Oats’ evaluation of talent. Avery might not have been the best coach, but he brought in some dang good talent that performed. JD isn’t half of what Collin Sexton was. We miss Herb, Petty, and Reese from last year….all Avery guys. Last year was a great season…won the SEC Reg. Season and Tourney championship, then the sweet 16.

I know we have a “top 5” class coming in so we will see. Ultimately, Oats will be defined by whether or not he wins with his own players or not.

Roll Tide. 🐘

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
The worst FG shooting in 11 years tonight. Even a mediocre effort would have beat a top 5 Kentucky. This team has problems and it's not talent.
Oats' mantra might be "Livin' and Dyin' in 3-D" - the trey and defense. Unwatchable when there's no coalescing - saw it against Gonzaga and Baylor, only games I've been tuned into throughout, and that lead one to believe there's a scintilla of chance...a chance.to catch fire on both ends come Dancin' - if there is a come Dancin' for this team.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The CNO philosophy requires a team to be able to shoot 35%-ish from behind the ark. This team can’t, consistently. 10% tonight is horrendous, but most losses they’re in the mid-20s. Unless you think the team will suddenly get hot from 3pt range, CNO ought at least to consider altering shot selection for this team…
How much work does this team even get at shooting mid-range?

I’m to the point of believing some guys need to move on. I hate that. You only get one shot at a college career but they’ve all but blown this season. They will never get it back.

I guess they’ve got 8 games to salvage something. For their sakes, I hope they do.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Do we think fatigue is a factor? The schedule has been unrelentingly brutal.
No, no more than it is for any other team. At this point in the season you have to be ready for back-to-back-to-back tough games because that is exactly what happens in tourney play. We haven't played well since December so fatigue is not the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: TideEngineer08

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Oats' mantra might be "Livin' and Dyin' in 3-D" - the trey and defense. Unwatchable when there's no coalescing - saw it against Gonzaga and Baylor, only games I've been tuned into throughout, and that lead one to believe there's a scintilla of chance...a chance.to catch fire on both ends come Dancin' - if there is a come Dancin' for this team.
This team would look pitiful running the four corners offense with an effort like last night. And yet they've beaten 3/4 final four teams from last year.

bama_fan01

Hall of Fame
Aug 25, 2003
Ranburne, AL, USA
With all the talk about the players body language, I'm worried about Oats'. He looks depressed and anxious. If the head coach doesn't project confidence, you can't expect the players to feel it...
I never considered depression and anxiety for Oats, but you may have something here. I know it's got to be incredibly frustrating for him, especially after seeing them play almost flawless complete games against teams like Gonzaga. I'm almost certain there's a chemistry problem with the group (I'm not calling them a team, because they're not playing like one), and that ain't good.

BamaBooey

Scout Team
Jan 29, 2020
One thing's for certain is that we don't have a guy who wants to be (or good enough to be) the man when the going gets tough. Last year Herb was the man for the most part, and did have surrounding talent to help. This year I find Shack to be the one who wants it, however, to me he's best as a strong complementary player. I was hoping Keon would be it, but he's not. It is what it is.

If we don't win the next few games, I hope he starts playing the younger ones more to develop for next year (and to deter transfers from guys who have promise), as well as have an easier schedule rather than play a Duke type schedule.

Isaiah 63:1

All-American
Dec 8, 2005
Probably at 35k or in an airport somewhere
How much work does this team even get at shooting mid-range?…
I don’t believe any, and by design. CNO takes a sound analytical conclusion - mid-range shots have lower expected points per attempt than 3s and layups - and fails to check it with game theory - if the opponent knows you’ll never attempt from mid-range, he doesn’t even have to defend it, thereby making uncontested 3s and layups harder to come by.

Here’s last night’s shot chart. Other than the percentage made, it looks just like every other game’s chart...CB262EA7-9C5A-4E3D-AF5D-C39B36DB3883.jpeg

If the 3s are falling at an acceptable rate, it might not matter; but they aren’t…

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
We are now 318th in the NCAA in 3 point field goal percentage.

The most glaring stat on that page, IMHO, is your scoring defense.....ranked #316.

Also - you lost to the AP ranked #5 team in the country last night......and were not blown out. Losing sucks no matter who you play but I think when you lose to a higher ranked opponent context matters. Kentucky is a very very good team and even on a night when they aren't 100% there's enough talent there to beat even a very good team, which you are, despite what some of you may think.

This conference is the most competitive in the country. Every game could go either way depending on how the shots go that night.

But for me, defense seems to always be the equalizer. So maybe that's worth discussion...I dunno....

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.