Bama Game Thread: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Bama vs. Vandy...

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I completely agree. The transfer portal it's not worked out too well for us except maybe Ellis. And he's kind of up and down offensively. To me for the most part the transfer portal is a bunch of guys they're in a lot of ways rejects. And I know that sounds bad. I wish we would grab no more than one transfer portal player. Build off incoming high School talent. Which I think that's what this upcoming recruiting class is going to do.
Ellis wasn’t a transfer portal guy. He was a JUCO transfer.Sometimes transfers don’t workout. Sometimes they do. As much as JQ has driven us crazy at times last year, he was the SECT MVP last season. Jordan Bruner was good for us until he got injured last season. He also brought leadership. Gurley and Namari were our portal guys this season, and we didn’t get to see Namari this season. I think we need to continue to use the portal along with recruiting.

Look at Bruce Pearls team. He struck gold in the Portal this year. He wouldn’t have Kessler, KD Johnson, Wendell Green, or Zep Jasper. Sometimes transfers work well. Sometimes they don’t. But, we can’t give up on the portal.

Richtide

1st Team
Jan 3, 2014
So is Oats calling for his firing in the post game presses?Does he say we don’t even belong in the NIT and won’t make the tournament in his presser? Does he say my recruits suck and I can’t do it without Avery’s guys in the pressers? I do believe I said I’m fine with criticism. I see people that are passionate about bama basketball on this board that offer criticism without acting like whiners the whole time. On the other hand you have a few that only show up after a loss to tell everyone how bad this team is and that they won’t achieve anything. There is a difference and if you can’t see that then I don’t know what to tell you.
Yea, I see it, and you’re right. Though he pretty much did say this team lacks fundamentals and has no leadership. ‘Sometimes Rojas will get vocal in the huddle. Shack might say something. We can’t have our guards passing to no one.” Those calling for his firing are delusional. Those saying we’re now in the NIT accidentally wandered over from the football boards. These are the best 2 years of Bama hoops in decades. Like many, I want success for him, because I think he is the next Mark Few.

Richtide

1st Team
Jan 3, 2014
Did you see Oats walk completely off the court last night during the game and almost to the tunnel? The announcer even mentioned that he was taking a minute to regroup and catch his breath. I can't remember what had just happened but obviously he was very frustrated. And it's also obvious that him and this coaching staff just cannot get through to this team and correct their glaring issues. I hope that's not indicative of the coaches' abilities to foster a will to lead and to grind on the team but more indicative of a need for a different mix of players.
It was right after one of the announcers noted he was having to direct every player where they needed to be in the offensive set. “At this point in the season that has to be very concerning for Nate Oats.”

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
I see that Alabama is still showing in the bracketology to be around a 6 seed, but to me that is WAY overseeded. I don't really think this team deserves a bid. They did have the accomplishment of beating 3 of last year's final 4 teams (which is the reason they will make the tournament at all), but they regressed as the year went on. With the loss yesterday, they now have a losing record in SEC games. This is a mediocre team. When I look at some of the first 4 , and next 4 out teams in bracketology, I think some of those teams deserve to be in the tourney more than Alabama.
Those 3 big wins out of conference were offset by losing to some pretty bad teams.
It's the whole season they look at. I think it was Grant's 2nd season when we had a bad pre-conference record but then finished 2nd in SEC with 12-4 record (SEC wasn't particulary strong) but they kept us out because of those early season struggles. So those 13 games can make or break you. This year, it made us.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
It was right after one of the announcers noted he was having to direct every player where they needed to be in the offensive set. “At this point in the season that has to be very concerning for Nate Oats.”
Did Oats have to direct the players where to be or was he overcoaching from the sideline?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
JQ looked at JD, who wasn’t looking at JQ, and proceeded to pass him the ball, and the ball sailed out of bounds.
I thought it was Shack that threw the pass to JD when JD wasn't looking. Regardless, that just illustrated the frustration with JD. He has some really good moments but then he has those moments where you are scratching your head wondering what he is thinking. He is a PG and even if someone else is bringing the ball up he should at all times be looking for and expecting the ball to come to him. The fact that he wasn't paying attention was just baffling to me. The announcers painted it as more the fault of Shack (or was it JQ?) but IMHO it was more on JD for not even looking for the ball.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I thought it was Shack that threw the pass to JD when JD wasn't looking. Regardless, that just illustrated the frustration with JD. He has some really good moments but then he has those moments where you are scratching your head wondering what he is thinking. He is a PG and even if someone else is bringing the ball up he should at all times be looking for and expecting the ball to come to him. The fact that he wasn't paying attention was just baffling to me. The announcers painted it as more the fault of Shack (or was it JQ?) but IMHO it was more on JD for not even looking for the ball.
It was JQ that threw the pass.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Let’s not get confused here, JQ is PG1. He was on the floor, with the ball, and light ball pressure, why would he even be looking instead of getting into position to start the offense? Even if he was supposed to be looking, why would a third year veteran player look at his teammate and then throw the ball to him?

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
The two 5-stars and Nimari Burnett are a good start. Bediako should put some weight on. If Davison comes back, we’re one sharp shooter and one athletic big man away from being a top 5 team.
IMO JD needs to come back I think Nate can develope him also I wish Nate would bring Cuonzo Martin as defensive analyst he knows defense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.