Bama Game Thread: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly - Bama vs. Vandy...

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
They were a couple of big hustle plays by Vandy that keyed their run, I think. Twice they saved the basketball underneath their own basketball, which resulted in 3. On the first one, we just stood and watched him find a guy underneath the basket. Another thing was JQ getting out of control on a couple of our possessions when we still had that double-digit lead.

We do get a week to rest. No sure if that helps or not. I don't think we've ever advanced to Sweet 16 in a year where we got knocked out in first SEC tourney game.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
We can blame defense, but you don't have to be a lock down defensive team to win games. We're stuck with the 3 point shooting analytics. The least Oats can do is develop an offense that creates open shots. We play rec ball on offense. It's easy to stop. Gurley won us the Arkansas game, I think, by posting up. Oats has to be willing to let him post more next season. We'll never get the big man we want if Oats offensive strategy for the bigs is to, "get it off the glass." Oats has to improve his in game coaching and connecting with the players. 5 stars won't fix everything.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
Good: up by 15 when I had to switch off the game to start work
Bad: when I finished an hour later, I saw we had blown that lead and lost by 6 to a team that talked smack about us before the game
Ugly: I wasn't the least bit surprised

I think Oats is the right guy for our program, but Good Lord this was not a good season for him.

Last edited:

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Since the MO is to play up or down depending on the opposition, with any luck they get a 15-seed in the tournament. If it's a play-in game a la UCLA last year, all bets are off (sorry, Calvin...)

Shameful how Oats' team has devolved or better dissolved down the stretch...

bama1992#1

Suspended
Sep 9, 2001
The good : the season will be over soon . Bad : to much. Ugly: I hope next season we have a go to guy late in games. . Please Let's stop the we will be in the elite 8 or first round exit nonsense . This team will exit in the first round. Will be an 8 or 9 seed. Hoping for a better season next season . Hope coach cleans house. Roll Tide

Reactions: Richtide

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Bad: when I finished an hour later, I saw we had blown that lead and lost by 6 to a team that talked smack about us before the game

I think Oats is the right guy for our program, but Good Lord this was not a good season for him.
This was me, except I went to bed. Woke up this morning and see this? I wish I could say that I was shocked.

Oh well, on to the tournament. Maybe a 6 seed?

Reactions: AlexanderFan

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
Good: We do not have to play UK today. They would embarrass us.
Bad : Blowing a 15 point lead. Saw it coming.
Ugly: Time to stop blaming the refs - this is all on the coaches and players. You cannot figure out a lineup this late in the year??? Players made stupid decisions down the stretch. Each foul and turnover down the stretch was our fault and we did it to ourselves. Just about each trip down the court on offense the last 10 minutes of the game, we did not start the play until we had stood outside and dribbled the ball until the shot clock got to under 15 seconds or we turned it over. The honest truth is ugly. Time to clean house with the players and find out who wants to play basketball. This whole stretch the last few weeks has been UGLY.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
This was me, except I went to bed. Woke up this morning and see this? I wish I could say that I was shocked.

Oh well, on to the tournament. Maybe a 6 seed?
6 seed would be about right and then lose to an 11 seed we have no business losing to. Maybe if we were the 11 seed, our players would play with a sense of urgency and actually beat some teams that they shouldn't?

Reactions: GboyBama

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Certainly Bama couldn’t have “lacked motivation” after the way Jr and his Vandy teammates popped off before the game. And if they did, then it tells a lot about leadership and chemistry or lack there of.

Last edited:

HSV_1969

Scout Team
Feb 28, 2011
I see that Alabama is still showing in the bracketology to be around a 6 seed, but to me that is WAY overseeded. I don't really think this team deserves a bid. They did have the accomplishment of beating 3 of last year's final 4 teams (which is the reason they will make the tournament at all), but they regressed as the year went on. With the loss yesterday, they now have a losing record in SEC games. This is a mediocre team. When I look at some of the first 4 , and next 4 out teams in bracketology, I think some of those teams deserve to be in the tourney more than Alabama.
Those 3 big wins out of conference were offset by losing to some pretty bad teams.

Reactions: seebell

bama1992#1

Suspended
Sep 9, 2001
I see that Alabama is still showing in the bracketology to be around a 6 seed, but to me that is WAY overseeded. I don't really think this team deserves a bid. They did have the accomplishment of beating 3 of last year's final 4 teams (which is the reason they will make the tournament at all), but they regressed as the year went on. With the loss yesterday, they now have a losing record in SEC games. This is a mediocre team. When I look at some of the first 4 , and next 4 out teams in bracketology, I think some of those teams deserve to be in the tourney more than Alabama.
Those 3 big wins out of conference were offset by losing to some pretty bad teams.
No way. 8 or 9. 7 if lucky. Really don't deserve better than that.

bama1992#1

Suspended
Sep 9, 2001
We can blame defense, but you don't have to be a lock down defensive team to win games. We're stuck with the 3 point shooting analytics. The least Oats can do is develop an offense that creates open shots. We play rec ball on offense. It's easy to stop. Gurley won us the Arkansas game, I think, by posting up. Oats has to be willing to let him post more next season. We'll never get the big man we want if Oats offensive strategy for the bigs is to, "get it off the glass." Oats has to improve his in game coaching and connecting with the players. 5 stars won't fix everything.
Good: We do not have to play UK today. They would embarrass us.
Bad : Blowing a 15 point lead. Saw it coming.
Ugly: Time to stop blaming the refs - this is all on the coaches and players. You cannot figure out a lineup this late in the year??? Players made stupid decisions down the stretch. Each foul and turnover down the stretch was our fault and we did it to ourselves. Just about each trip down the court on offense the last 10 minutes of the game, we did not start the play until we had stood outside and dribbled the ball until the shot clock got to under 15 seconds or we turned it over. The honest truth is ugly. Time to clean house with the players and find out who wants to play basketball. This whole stretch the last few weeks has been UGLY.
When I was watching the first half I felt like it started with about three minutes to go. . if we close the half better it probably would have been closer to a 20 point lead at half.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
"Out of its 17 shot attempts inside the 3-point line in the second half, Alabama only made eight of them. Eight of its nine misses were layups. The Tide had a sizable lead on the glass, out-rebounding the ‘Dores, 54-32, including an 18-5 edge in offense boards and an 18-7 lead in second-chance points. Turnovers remained an issue, though, as UA committed 18 of them, compared to 11, which led to 16 points for Vandy. Alabama gave up 54 points in the 2nd half."

I watched the first half and we played very good defense. We did not tear it up shooting the ball in the first half. We had decent ball movement, good looks at shots and other than a few players taking some quick shots we did a pretty good job. If the players had played with the same intensity the second half as they did the first, this game is not close. Very disappointing lose IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.