The GOP Fight for the 2024 Nomination

Status
Not open for further replies.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The only reason Desantis went after them was because he was banking on Nelson peltz creating a hostile takeover of the company. It nearly happened but Disney threw a Hail Mary and got iger back for awhile.

Desantis basically went after them because Disney was in a vulnerable position at the time, and the GOP would love to sock it to Disney.

Sometimes Trump can speak the truth but there always seems to be an angle to it.

• Thank You
Reactions: UAH

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The only reason Desantis went after them was because he was banking on Nelson peltz creating a hostile takeover of the company. It nearly happened but Disney threw a Hail Mary and got iger back for awhile.

Desantis basically went after them because Disney was in a vulnerable position at the time, and the GOP would love to sock it to Disney.

Sometimes Trump can speak the truth but there always seems to be an angle to it.
Funny how rich businessmen always seem to have an angle.
That's how many of them got rich.
But not The Donald, he got his money the old fashioned way...
He inherited from his father, but he was smart enough to use all the angles to his advantage. Politicians kept writing bills with lots of loop holes for themselves and their friends. The Donald took advantage of every loop hole he could. He got richer.

Reactions: UAH

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Funny how rich businessmen always seem to have an angle.
That's how many of them got rich.
But not The Donald, he got his money the old fashioned way...
He inherited from his father, but he was smart enough to use all the angles to his advantage. Politicians kept writing bills with lots of loop holes for themselves and their friends. The Donald took advantage of every loop hole he could. He got richer.
He really didn't. From what's come out in his niece's suit, he received far more from his father's estate - and during his father's lifetime - than the one million he's always claimed. When his asset are revalued to actual market, and inflation is factored in, he's poorer now than when his father passed...

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022

WATCH: Donald Trump praises governorships of Charlie Crist and Rick Scott in video addressing DeSantis

"Florida was doing fantastically. You had a governor named Rick Scott who did a very good job. Even Charlie Crist, a Democrat, did a good job - and he had very good numbers."
The primary will generate more face-palms than it usually does. But hey, free entertainment for the rest of us.

Reactions: Huckleberry

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
They know, but they dislike Democrats that much.
well, that's their problem.

right now and for the foreseeable future, there are two choices. and normalizing what the gop is doing is almost as bad as explicitly supporting it and will pretty much result in the same outcomes, which i imagine is a big part of the driving force around that "dislike" for a good many of those folks.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
He got richer.
I disagree.

The 1 Easy Way Donald Trump Could Have Been Even Richer: Doing Nothing (nationaljournal.com)

He's basically a toddler who never grew up, and his money is worth less than it would be IF he was SMART ENOUGH to play the system. And here's the thing - he talks too damn much to ever be able to make it as any sort of REALLY RICH guy. He wants to brag about all the corners he's cut, the chicanery he is too stupid to know is illegal, you name it. The man is the closest thing to a psychotic I've seen outside of a serial killer, which is probably what he would have been had he been born to lesser means.

I'd be willing to wager you could take the dumbest Tidefans poster born with Trump's wealth, 92tide would have MANY TIMES more wealth than Trump ever has or will.

Trump is the manager of the small McDonald's in a small town next to Walmart and the decaying Blockbuster Video store who has a back and forth with a customer he's trying to squeeze a nickel out of because he wanted an extra sauce - and TRUMP makes it a scene. The SMART business guy who does what you're saying about playing the angles knows you take a step back, take the "not really a loss" now and the customer comes back.

This "business genius" has - among other things:
- PAID to get Wrestlemania at the Trump Plaza when every other venue got money from McMahon
- overpaid by ?? how much to get Doug Flutie to be his quarterback, a guy the NFL didn't even want
- overpaid for his USFL franchise to J Walter Duncan, who laughed all the way to the bank

I mean, I could go through the list but those 3 are next-level stupid right there. Most folks don't follow wrestling (certainly not like I did in the 80s - yes, I'm embarrassed), but after Wrestlemania 3 was a blockbuster smash on PPV and an inflated attendance number (but still impressive), Trump was there and ASKED VINCE MCMAHON how much the bidding was for Wrestlemania. You see - he is SO STUPID that instead of going back home to Queens and doing any due diligence, he ASSUMED "this is a sporting event like the Olympics or Final Four, where sites bid for the right to host it." McMahon didn't bother tell the doofus that "no, you see, I pay you" because he knew a sucker when he saw one. I'm sure he held Trump up for a million bucks or more and laughed all the way to the bank because his operating costs were suddenly not very expensive.

Trump was so stupid, he did it again the next year.

He paid far more than the NJ Generals were worth because he thought the USFL was the same as the NFL. The first NJ owner lost $4 million, would have been happy to sell them for $8 - and Dingle Drumpf gave him ten, because he wanted a football team.

===============================

Let me drive home how dumb the guy is.

There was another narcissist named OJ Simpson, and I'm sure you know what he did. Trump is the kind of guy dumb enough to have done all that and been sitting there accused as the trial starts and said, "I've been looking all over for that glove!"

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
He's that dumb because he's never had to suffer consequences from his stupidity.
No argument here.

Once upon a time, while never a fan, I figured he was one of those guys who was an expert at getting OTHER PEOPLE to do all the illegal stuff (Cohen is a good example) but was smart enough to straddle the line of legality, even if he was too dumb to know that he was confessing to sexual assault on the audio tape from Access Hollywood.

I'm no longer convinced that's true. But the catch to being Roy Cohn 2.0 is that you eventually stiff enough lawyers that the combined talents of Clarence Darrow, Vincent Bugliosi, and F Lee Bailey before he lost his mind aren't available because nobody works for free.

My thought is that the turning point in how lawyers deal with him was when that crafty lawyer who signed the document that he had returned all classified stuff made sure to notate that it was on the basis of Trump's word she signed this. Not only was that a warning writ large to anyone with a brain, it may show how future lawyers will be smart enough to hang him out to dry.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
No argument here.

Once upon a time, while never a fan, I figured he was one of those guys who was an expert at getting OTHER PEOPLE to do all the illegal stuff (Cohen is a good example) but was smart enough to straddle the line of legality, even if he was too dumb to know that he was confessing to sexual assault on the audio tape from Access Hollywood.

I'm no longer convinced that's true. But the catch to being Roy Cohn 2.0 is that you eventually stiff enough lawyers that the combined talents of Clarence Darrow, Vincent Bugliosi, and F Lee Bailey before he lost his mind aren't available because nobody works for free.

My thought is that the turning point in how lawyers deal with him was when that crafty lawyer who signed the document that he had returned all classified stuff made sure to notate that it was on the basis of Trump's word she signed this. Not only was that a warning writ large to anyone with a brain, it may show how future lawyers will be smart enough to hang him out to dry.
That was because she'd already been burned. The first time, she signed a similar statement on her own word...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
That was because she'd already been burned. The first time, she signed a similar statement on her own word...
Honestly did not know that detail.

Of course, my cynicism points me in one of two directions with ANYONE who would be this guy's lawyer now:

1) they're people who are hoping to cash in and become celebrities themselves
2) they persuade themselves they can be the exception that turns this guy onto the straight/narrow

As you've noted, he already has trouble getting lawyers in the first place because (among other reasons) he doesn't pay his bills.

This story is from the 1984 press conference where the USFL-NFL lawsuit was announced:

"The press conference was organized by Ira Silverman, a young New York–based sports public relations guru who was warned beforehand that Cohn and Trump were notorious for failing to pay their tabs. When Cohn asked how much his services would cost, Silverman told him the bill was $2,000—half due up front. “I got the check for $1,000, did the job, put together a media invite list, we had a great turnout . . . and they never gave me the second $1,000,” he said. “I handed a bill to Cohn—nothing. Then I started calling Cohn and Trump, and they never picked up the phone. They just ignored me.”

(Me: if you knew they were notorious for not paying, why didn't you insist on the entire amount up front?)

Reactions: dtgreg

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Honestly did not know that detail.

Of course, my cynicism points me in one of two directions with ANYONE who would be this guy's lawyer now:

1) they're people who are hoping to cash in and become celebrities themselves
2) they persuade themselves they can be the exception that turns this guy onto the straight/narrow

As you've noted, he already has trouble getting lawyers in the first place because (among other reasons) he doesn't pay his bills.

This story is from the 1984 press conference where the USFL-NFL lawsuit was announced:

"The press conference was organized by Ira Silverman, a young New York–based sports public relations guru who was warned beforehand that Cohn and Trump were notorious for failing to pay their tabs. When Cohn asked how much his services would cost, Silverman told him the bill was $2,000—half due up front. “I got the check for $1,000, did the job, put together a media invite list, we had a great turnout . . . and they never gave me the second $1,000,” he said. “I handed a bill to Cohn—nothing. Then I started calling Cohn and Trump, and they never picked up the phone. They just ignored me.”

(Me: if you knew they were notorious for not paying, why didn't you insist on the entire amount up front?)
AFAIK, Trump has never paid Giuliani...

Reactions: dtgreg

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
AFAIK, Trump has never paid Giuliani...
I think you're right.

In fact, Jonathan Karl's book on 1/6 (technically about the last year of the administration) has this quote:

Rudy Giuliani was an embarrassment. He was also not getting paid. A week before the press conference at the RNC, one of Giuliani’s assistants had sent an email notifying the campaign leadership that Giuliani and his team would need to be paid a retainer of $20,000 a day for their legal work. A week later, Maggie Haberman of The New York Times broke the story about Giuliani’s pricey demand. By then, Trump had already rejected Giuliani’s request. In fact, he was so offended by what he saw as an effort by Giuliani to make a windfall off his campaign that he told his campaign manager he didn’t want Giuliani to be paid anything at all. This would effectively be pro bono work. Trump said Giuliani would only be reimbursed for his expenses, and, furthermore, Trump demanded he would have to sign off on all of Giuliani’s expenses himself. (Karl, 2021: 172-73)

• Thank You
Reactions: Go Bama
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.