Video: The Great Task

Diogenes

3rd Team
Jul 7, 2021

Debates could be another challenge for Cheney. The general feeling among Republicans I spoke with this week is that the RNC would go to almost absurd lengths to avoid allowing Cheney to appear on the same debate stage as Trump. Kristol predicted that the party might try to exclude her by requiring any candidate participating in a RNC-sanctioned debate to commit to supporting the party’s eventual nominee in the general election—something Cheney’s determination to stop Trump would not allow her to do. (In 2016, the RNC imposed such a loyalty oath primarily out of fear that Trump wouldn’t endorse the nominee if he lost. Trump signed it but characteristically renounced it in the race’s latter stage.)

Even so, it would be difficult for any media organization that sponsors an RNC debate to agree to keep her off the stage. And if Cheney is registering reasonable support in the polls—say 5 percent or more—even state parties might think twice about barring her. “Every other candidate not named Trump is going to want Liz Cheney on the debate stage,” the GOP consultant Alex Conant, the communications director for Senator Marco Rubio’s 2016 presidential campaign, told me.

Reactions: Padreruf

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Debates could be another challenge for Cheney. The general feeling among Republicans I spoke with this week is that the RNC would go to almost absurd lengths to avoid allowing Cheney to appear on the same debate stage as Trump. Kristol predicted that the party might try to exclude her by requiring any candidate participating in a RNC-sanctioned debate to commit to supporting the party’s eventual nominee in the general election—something Cheney’s determination to stop Trump would not allow her to do. (In 2016, the RNC imposed such a loyalty oath primarily out of fear that Trump wouldn’t endorse the nominee if he lost. Trump signed it but characteristically renounced it in the race’s latter stage.)

Even so, it would be difficult for any media organization that sponsors an RNC debate to agree to keep her off the stage. And if Cheney is registering reasonable support in the polls—say 5 percent or more—even state parties might think twice about barring her. “Every other candidate not named Trump is going to want Liz Cheney on the debate stage,” the GOP consultant Alex Conant, the communications director for Senator Marco Rubio’s 2016 presidential campaign, told me.
My thought also, with the ratings boost it would get from that confrontation...

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
the RNC would go to almost absurd lengths to avoid allowing Cheney to appear on the same debate stage as Trump.
Even given the clown car nature of recent presidential debates, the RNC would be insane to allow it. Cheney would go into a debate with a rhetorical flamethrower and do her damnedest to leave everything even remotely MAGA-tinged in ashes.

Naturally, I'm all for that.

Diogenes

3rd Team
Jul 7, 2021
Thread title tells us nothing.

Does that makr it a "teaser" title?
The Great Task, which was the name of Cheney’s final ad of the campaign. The phrase is from the last sentence of the Gettysburg Address, and Cheney also referenced it in her concession speech from Jackson, Wyo., on Tuesday night.

It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Abraham Lincoln
November 19, 1863

Diogenes

3rd Team
Jul 7, 2021
But Cheney dropped a big hint when she noted that the GOP’s Founding Father, Abraham Lincoln, lost elections for the House and Senate “before he won the most important election of all” by capturing the presidency. This morning, she went a step further, telling the Today show that she was “thinking about” joining the 2024 Republican presidential race.

Cheney would have no trouble assembling the building blocks of a traditional presidential campaign. Her name identification is extremely high, for both her familial ties and her prominence as a Trump critic. Her potential fundraising base is strong: Through late July, she had already raised more than $15 million in her House race, and in a presidential run, she could tap into a huge pool of small-dollar donors (many of them Democrats) determined to block Trump. And with her unflinching attacks on the former president, she would be ensured bottomless media coverage.

Last edited:

Diogenes

3rd Team
Jul 7, 2021
Prominent Republicans, including Trump, spent the past two weeks admonishing the FBI after the agency searched his Palm Beach, Florida, residence on August 8 and seized government documents. The FBI said it had received an "unprecedented" number of threats following the search.

During an interview that aired Sunday on ABC's "This Week," Cheney said Republicans continued "stoking the flames" despite the growing threats.

"This is a really dangerous moment and to see the former president of the United States, my colleagues, stoking the flames of that instead of saying, 'We need to learn the facts. We need to learn the evidence. We need to learn the information about what happened,'" Cheney told ABC co-anchor Jonathan Karl.

"To jump reflexively to attack law enforcement and to say then, 'Well, we back the blue, but we're going to attack these people for doing their job,'" she continued. "I think that the American people see what hypocrisy that is and it's dangerous hypocrisy."

Cheney said she was "ashamed" that Republicans had spent time going after the the FBI agents who executed the search warrant.

"I was disgusted when I learned that President Trump had released the names of those agents, when he released the unredacted search warrant, and that has now caused violence," Cheney said. Cheney did not provide evidence for her claim that Trump was behind the release of the agents' names.

Three days after the raid, conservative outlet Brietbart News published an unredacted version of the Mar-a-Lago search warrant, which included the names of FBI agents involved in the search

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Even given the clown car nature of recent presidential debates, the RNC would be insane to allow it. Cheney would go into a debate with a rhetorical flamethrower and do her damnedest to leave everything even remotely MAGA-tinged in ashes.

Naturally, I'm all for that.

"Donald,

We know you want to - so just go ahead and call me a "B" and get it out of your system why don't you?"

CrimsonJazz

All-American
May 27, 2022
What do you come back with when three men go out hunting with Dick Cheney?
Two and A Half Men
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.