The play where the LSU receiver dropped the ball before entering the end zone...

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If you watch the full pylon cam version, the official in the frame doesn't signal touchdown until the ball is recovered.

It could be a coincidence, sure, but it could also be that the officials on the field did everything correctly and the announcers are the ones who didn't know what had happened.
Thats the most likely explanation.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Apparently they ruled that as an immediate recovery- unlike the Bo Nix backwards spike that was recovered by Arkansas much faster but was not an immediate recovery. Plain and simple - SEC replay officials will bend the narrative to cover themselves.
You’re getting wrapped around the axle for all the wrong reasons here. The “clear and immediate recovery” issue only really matters if they had NOT ruled it a fumble and blown it dead (or as in this case signaled a TD). Then replay would have looked for a “clear and immediate recovery” to overturn. In this instance they recognized the fumble in real time, and held off on the TD signal (thus keeping the play alive). LSU trailing player recognized this and recovered. Touchdown LSU. Sorry but refs absolutely got this one right ON THE FIELD. Replay had nothing to overturn and thus “clear and immediate recovery” never comes into play.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Everyone getting hung up on “clear and immediate recovery”. Like @Special K said, the play was never blown dead so the ball was live, it could have sat there for five minutes and still been a touchdown (or Bama’s ball if one of our guys grabbed it).

In the game thread I beat the refs up about that play but, I was wrong... this time.

• Thank You
Reactions: Con and Special K

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A sports writer said that there was no confusion in the booth at all. They knew what had happened all along. The confusion from the television audience was a result of the TV team not catching it and sharing it with the audience for 5 minutes. And then they tried to cover themselves by pretending that they had just noticed the recovery by an LSU player when every sports writer knew this from the outset.

So, our confusion was a result of mistakes made by Gary and the CBS team.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
A sports writer said that there was no confusion in the booth at all. They knew what had happened all along. The confusion from the television audience was a result of the TV team not catching it and sharing it with the audience for 5 minutes. And then they tried to cover themselves by pretending that they had just noticed the recovery by an LSU player when every sports writer knew this from the outset.

that stretch where their mikes went down was so nice.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I was thinking the same thing. The LSU player who grabbed the ball was just a few seconds behind the one who fumbled. They should have seen that.

Reactions: B1GTide

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
If the ball sitting dead in the end zone for nearly three seconds before being scooped up by a trailing LSU player who was 15 yards behind the play constitutes a "clear and immediate recovery", then Arkansas should be up in arms about the SEC's denial of their immediate recovery on the Barn's "spike" earlier this year.
They were... :cool:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
I’ve seen so many posts and comments about display I thought it deserved it own thread.

The receiver clearly dropped the ball before crossing the goal line. There seems to be no doubt about that. What a bonehead move!

The ball did not go out of bounds but took an odd kick to the right and stayed in the field of play. At this point the play was not yet dead. The officials did not blow it there, either. Good on them.

What many people seem to not realize is that at this point the bowl still alive, and a couple of seconds later he LSU player picked up the ball and stepped in to the Endzone. At that point it was a touchdown for LSU. The receiver did not get the touchdown, the player that picked up the ball and stepped into the end zone scored a touchdown.

There was no bad call on this play the refs did not miss anything. The review officials did not miss anything. It was a legitimate touchdown by LSU on the fumble recovery.

We shouldn’t have let the receiver be that wide open in the first place and none of this would’ve happened, but there was no bad call. It was a legit TD on the fumble recovery. Have a great day and Roll Tide!

EDIT: I guess I don’t know for certain that the refs on the field didn’t make a mistake initially. I also am aware that someone posted in the post game thread that the ball hit the pylon. I don’t recall noticing that but will have to check that out.
IIRC, they showed that clarifying replay after we had scored our answering TD...:cool:

Reactions: CraigD and B1GTide

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
Well, the real worst part of this is a BAMA guy, (don't remember the number), ran right by the ball about a second after it was fumbled, but didn't even look at it. The LSU guy that did grab it got there a couple of seconds later. Could have easily been BAMA ball and no TD.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

The curious thing to me is that it all happened so quickly and they never stopped play before the extra point was kicked.

It's entirely possible somebody caught the UF player coming in to recover the "fumble" but in order to review it all you think they would have stopped play.

Of course, the simplest thing would have been for the head referee to clarify what happened: that the TD was a result of the UF player dropping the ball before he crossed the goal line and then another UF player picking it up.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Of course, the simplest thing would have been for the head referee to clarify what happened: that the TD was a result of the UF player dropping the ball before he crossed the goal line and then another UF player picking it up.
Yep - the official messed up there. I have never seen a play like that not explained by the officials, which leads me to believe that the officials didn't get it right - they got lucky and went with the recovery explanation.

• Thank You
Reactions: CraigD and The Ols

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Yep - the official messed up there. I have never seen a play like that not explained by the officials, which leads me to believe that the officials didn't get it right - they got lucky and went with the recovery explanation.
My thoughts exactly...replay later confirmed they just got lucky.

The litmus test would be what if nobody came to pick up the ball???

Would we still be waiting for a TD signal?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Well, the real worst part of this is a BAMA guy, (don't remember the number), ran right by the ball about a second after it was fumbled, but didn't even look at it. The LSU guy that did grab it got there a couple of seconds later. Could have easily been BAMA ball and no TD.
this. That's what ****ed me off the most. all he had to do was fall on the ball.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
It was Battle

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I was thinking the same thing. The LSU player who grabbed the ball was just a few seconds behind the one who fumbled. They should have seen that.
In fact.....wasn't the recovering player an OL'man?? The ball had rolled into the endzone. Could've been Bama ball on the 20. Weird play for sure...and yeah the WR was wide freegin' open. Stuff happens. And here comes Trask and his receivers.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.